SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysticalmanns

Bus Drive Question

16 years ago

Help, please!! I'm going to give you the whole story to get to my question ... because I don't know what you need to know and what will be useless info.

On Sunday, after disconnecting & moving my desktop computer, it suddenly gave me an error message that "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\System32\Config\System. My computer is running Windows XP Home edition.

Being an applications person, not a person who understands what makes those applications work, I didn't know what to do. The error says I can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom (not included with my package from 3 years ago because it was all preloaded) and to select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

The 'r' didn't work, and I finally used the F10 and did a whole system restore. That's a miserable thing to have to do. I'd posted the problem on the Kitchen Table, and when I was going through the restore someone had replied, asking whether I could hear the hard drive start up, and suggested maybe I loosened the bus connection to the hard drive during the move. By the time I read that response it was too late, because I'd done the system restore.

Well, you guessed it ... it's happened again. Last night all was well and this morning I have the same error message. I haven't moved it again, by the way.

So my question is ... how (exactly because I don't know what I'm doing) can I check on this bus connection to the hard drive? What does it look like, etc? I really hate to call the Geek Squad to come out and do a 5-minute fix and pay them $200.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. I'm off for the next five days and all I have to use is my office laptop, with a bazillion firewalls that won't let me do anything fun.

Patty

Comments (3)