SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

A "what would you do?" driving question.

Alisande
8 years ago

When I was learning to drive, my father taught me that it's not necessary to move over to the left lane if cars were entering the highway on my right. Much of the time I do it anyway, assuming there isn't much traffic and the left lane is available.

But yesterday I was on a major highway, using cruise control in the right lane, when a car approached in the entrance lane (ramp?) on my right. Another car was about to pass me on the left, and it wasn't immediately clear if anyone was in back of him, so I stayed put.

There was no one in back of me in my lane, so the car entering on my right should have slowed down a bit and pulled in behind me. But instead she pulled up alongside me and began to move over, forcing me to step on the gas and move quickly to my left. Thank heavens the lane was clear; it could easily have been a disaster.

As I said, sometimes I move over in anticipation of a merge. Other times I might speed up or slow down to give the person a better shot. This time I did none of those things, and it could have gotten me killed. What do you usually do in that common highway situation?

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022