SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorettanj

Constantly replacing Cmos Battery

Loretta NJ Z6
15 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice before I spend more time on the phone with Dell. My problem is power related. My feeling is that it is a motherboard problem. Every time I turn off the computer for a period of time, like overnight, I have to disassemble my computer including all plugs on the motherboard and boards/chips. Then I have to replace the Cmos battery and then the system will restart. I then plug it back up, reset the diskette setting to off and I am able to reboot. I reset the date, etc and everything runs fine as long as I never turn off the computer. I can let it power down. The computer is plugged into the wall now, not a power surge as this seems to help.

Before this all happened, I did get a "system low voltage" error message at startup twice but it didn't reoccur. That is how I knew to replace the Cmos battery. I think I am on my 6th Cmos battery.

I have installed updates for the bios and chipset listed on the Dellsupport page.

I have

Windows XP media center, service pak 3 (this happened before installing this update).

Dell dimension E510,

Processor -Intel P4 3.4 Ghz, Mirror Raid, currently off as Dell wanted to reformat at one time (my fault, I didn't install the memory chip correctly and we were getting lost files).

Browser Firefox, IE

Zone Alarm Sec Suite

1024 Ram

Anyone familiar with this problem? Does it sound like I will need a new motherboard? Advice appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Loretta

Comments (9)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County