SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

More bathroom photos

redroze
14 years ago

I just added more photos for my guest bathroom and master ensuite to my renovation blog. I got a lot of amazing tips from this forum so thank you!! Enjoy!!

Comments (37)

• suzienj
    14 years ago

ABSOLUTLY STUNNING CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it!!

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

Redroze, this is breathtaking. Can you tell me what brand and model of hardware you chose for these bathrooms? Also, you have used marble in so many parts of your home, and it is truly beautiful. Can you tell me how it would hold up in the bathroom, or even a kitchen backsplash for a mother of two toddlers with, how shall I say, not great aptitute in the cleaning up after mess department??

• Related Discussions

Photos of French bathrooms with Claw foot Tubs

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow, I really love the silver clawfoot tub. It reminds me a lot of a Waterworks soaker tub with the same silver burnished finish on the outside. I hadn't even thought of doing it with a clawfoot tub...I think I may incorporate it in our master bath!! Thanks for the inspiration!
    ...See More

Show me your walk-in showers

Q

Comments (25)
    Here's our walk-in shower (prior to shower doors being installed), completed September 2010. Unfortuantely as I have posted in other threads, there is a waterproofing problem and demolition will start soon. We think the shower is very pretty and looks even nicer in person (the photos look a little orange-y but the real colors are a prettier terra cotta).Tile is ceramic and ceiling is cedar. The drain had to be off center as there is a steel I-beam running under the center of the shower (which is why we had to return the cast iron shower pan we ordered--the I-bean was directly under the drain!).
    ...See More

Master bathroom help-crosspost from bathroom forum

Q

Comments (19)
    olychick, thank you for taking a look. :) I'm relieved to hear you think a white shower pan is best. I am heading out now to find porcelain marble look tiles for the shower walls to pick up the gray as you suggested. I want a shiny finish to the walls. Tell me if you think that's a misstep. I am avoiding marble as I have a marble topped vanity now that is pock marked with etchings. As far as seeing myself in the vanity, yes, I think I will be able to do so. I was planning on a black framed mirror spanning the vanity. My current vanity is 32 1/4" high (as will be the new vanity) and when seated on my vanity stool my reflection is seen up to my chest. The only issue currently is that my knees are pressed against drawers. I failed to mention that I was thinking of using absolute black granite for the vanity top for two reasons: one being cost and the other being to avoid etching. Will doing so deviate too much from my inspiration? Lastly, I had the idea of applying pieces of beveled mirror framed by black molding floor to ceiling along the back wall and continuing behind the toilet (similar to this only floor to ceiling with the exception of base molding & crown): [Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Northbrook Architects & Building Designers Michael A. Menn Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you for reading this far. :)
    ...See More

Bathroom renovation HELP!

Q

Comments (22)
    I agree with Pugga70. Stay away from accent tiles and the like. My vote is to keep it simple and all white. Glass panel for tub or a white shower curtain hung at ceiling height (which means an extra long or custom shower curtain). Keep it neutral on the floor as well. Floating vanity with spacious drawers. Art above the toilet. Don't know what your budget is but I'd be looking at a recessed medicine cabinet if replacing the mirror.
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    14 years ago

The veining on that vanity is so striking; everything you did looks picture perfect.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Wow...how lovely~

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Gorgeous and so much storage. Great job.

• mousemen
    14 years ago

It is so beautiful!!!

Did you tile the wall behind your vanities? May I know the name of the painting on your wall?

It is so beautiful!!!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

They came out beautifully redroze!!! What a great job you did--take a bow!

• applepie61
    14 years ago

Perfect - every single element is perfect!

• denali2007
    14 years ago

Stunning! I love love love the color of your guest bathroom. I checked your blog. You gave some great advice there.

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

Beautiful! The floor.....Wow!

• stlouie
    14 years ago

Breathtaking! Love your vanity and the gray-blue wall color.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Onelady1dog2girls - The hardware for both bathrooms is from Restoration hardware. The ones in the guest are called vintage glass, the ones in the master are...I think they're called Westwood. I can't speak from experience as we don't have children yet...but I'm messier than my DH in the bathroom in terms of splashing water, and the marble's held up well so far! If you get a marble with more veining then you're better off. Our old master had porcelain tile and you could see more dirt...now our marble tiles with busy veining hide any mess, similar to granite.

Brutuses - I love the storage!! No more mess on the counters...check out the before pics for the master ensuite and you'll see what I mean.

Mousemen - The guest bath vanity has a 4" backsplash...the master vanity has the subway tile wall above the vanity. The paint for the guest is Benjamin Moore Wickham Gray, the master is BM Horizon.

CatMom - (redroze makes a long and elegant curtsy)

Thank you everyone! =)

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Onelady - By the way, we used granite in our kitchen and only used marble in our bathrooms. We probably wouldn't have done marble in our kitchen given the etching issues...

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

Love all of your choices and so appreciate your willingness to share. I've enjoyed seeing all of your pics and reading your blog. One question, where did you purchase your ceiling fixture in your guest bedroom? Thanks!

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

Thanks, Redroze for the information. I forgot to ask you which faucets you used?

• tin-man
    14 years ago

Hi Onelady,

We purchased the ceiling fixture in our guest bedroom from Union Lighting and Furnishings.

I was actually not too happy with it given the picture on the website shows white shades while the real thing is a bit more cream but we were rushing this room.

Tin-Man (Redroze's significant other)

• niffy
    14 years ago

Redroze-
    Just beautiful - love your kitchen and now both your bathrooms! Question - where did you get the mirrors for the master? I've been looking for something just like those!

• jdechris
    14 years ago

LOVE IT! I can't find your dimensions on your blog - do you give master bathroom dimensions? I'm also interested in the length of your master vanity.

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the light fixture! I also wanted to ask, now that you have lived w/them for awhile,how you are liking your dark hardwood floors? How do they compare to the golden color they were previously? Do they show dirt/dust significantly more? Do you feel like they make your home feel "darker"? I have golden red oak floors and have also considered staining them darker. Do you remember the stain you ended up using? They are beautiful!

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

LOVING it, redroze! tasteful and striking ...everything i would expect to see from you. congratulations!

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Niffy - The master ensuite mirrors are from a place in Toronto called D&E Lake. They do custom framing.

Jdechris - The master vanity length is just over 7 feet. The master ensuite is 116" x 108" which is 9'7" x 9'.

Sherri - The dark hardwood floors are an absolute dream. I love them so much more than the golden oak colour. The dark floors just make everything in our house look better. They are a satin finish (similar to matte but with a teeny bit of gloss) which I would recommend highly. They don't show dirt significantly more. They show dust more than the lighter floors, but not in an insane way - probably every week we see some dust bunnies. I don't think they feel make the house feel dark at all...we have white kitchen cabinets, light neutral walls...if we had dark painted walls as well then I think the house would look dark. They are my favourite thing in our home - that's how much I love them. I think if you're drawn to them, get your floors stained and you will have no regrets.

Thank you Kate!!!! Nice to see you here.

• thisishishouse
    14 years ago

In that first picutre, what's the 3rd set of switches on the wall? I see a 3-gang set of switches, then the electric outlet, but what's that third one? It looks like there's some sort of light up blue screen/lcd on it.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

redroze, I love everything about your bathroom that you pictured from the counters, the sinks, the vanity color and style, the wall color, the wainscoting, the wall fixtures, the mirrors and the floors. You should be an interior decorator with your exquisite taste that is gorgeous!

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oicu812 - good eye. It's the thermostat for our heated floors.

• ncamy
    14 years ago

Redroze,
    I had posted some questions for you in another post. It was titled, "Redroze I have some questions for you!" LOL I'm not sure where it's scrolled off to but if you can find it I'd still like to know a few things. If you can't find it, I'll try to duplicate the post (if I can remember all the details.) Obviously I must have caught you on a few days that you weren't on the board. You must have been off enjoying your beautiful new spaces.
    Amy

• judydel
    14 years ago

Your bathrooms are gorgeous! Now that our kitchen reno is winding down, I'm turning my attention to our master bathroom. It is a disgusting mess (I'm not over exaggerating)!

I love so much of what you've done. Naturally, I have a few questions too : )

Is your claw foot tub comfy? For a 6' tall guy?

I'll be installing glass soon in our guest bath. I must say I love the color of your glass. I know you're not happy with it and I'll have to look at the different choices out there, but I do like the color of yours in the photos. Is all that glass in a shower hard to keep clean? Do you have to clean it constantly, or just spray it down?

You did a beautiful job . . . just love EVERYTHING that you've done in kitchen and baths!

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ncamy - So sorry I missed your posts. I replied to your other thread - hope it helps and let me know if you need anything else!

Judydel - THANK YOU. Did you see the before photos of my bathrooms? I think your bathroom and my bathrooms have probably met before as they are all "disgusting messes". Seriously, talk about makeovers! Umm...I'd like to say there was a 6' tall guy in the tub, but neither 5'4" me or 5'8" DH has actually used the tub yet. We're not big tub-bathers...we did it more for the future babies that we'll need to bathe. I should get my 6'2" brother-in-law to test it out one day. It's not hard to keep the glass showers clean if you can accept it won't always be crystal clear. We normally use our handheld shower to do a spraydown to remove soap scum either few days...just a quick 10-second rinse.

• judydel
    14 years ago

"We normally use our handheld shower to do a spraydown to remove soap scum either few days...just a quick 10-second rinse."

redroze that's what I was hoping you'd say : ) I'm installing hand held sprayers so that we can do just that. Is it hard to spray the upper areas of the glass without spraying the whole bathroom?

YOU HAVEN"T USED YOUR TUB YET? It's soooo beautiful. I know I would have at least taken a maiden soak. Maybe you've been working too hard?

We have an ugly, huge jetted tub in our pre reno master bath. I must admit I hardly ever used it either. The kids loved it because I could put 2 or 3 of them in it at a time and they could "swim" with the tub being so big (and them being so small at the time).

I would like to replace it with something that doesn't hold so much water, and with something more comfortable to lay back in. The slipper tubs look so comfy to lay back in! Candles, glass of wine, soft music . . . spaaaah!

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judydel - I don't spray the upper areas, I just go very close to the edge. The soap scum tends to sit midway anyway since that's where my body is. Bathroom cleaning is DH's job so I don't know if he does anything else. ;-)

You've hit it right on target - I have absolutely been working too hard. You're right...we've had it since July and I haven't had one soak in yet. DH and I have been talking lately about family planning and thought we were going to delay it yet again, but then decided (happily) that we're gonna go for it!!! I'm tired of putting our careers ahead of our family life. I hear alot of GWers talk about their children and I want to share the joy of our home with children. Our families love our home and we love having them over. I'm turning 31 next year so I definitely look forward to new adventures ahead.

Who knows...maybe next year there will be a little wet one in our tub!!!

• judydel
    14 years ago

redroze,
    I had my first son at 32 years, my second son at 35 years and my daughter at almost 40. I'm glad you decided to begin the journey : ) Careers can't compare to family. There's so many ways to have both these days anyway. When I had my first I was working as a sales rep with yellow pages advertising. I quit when my son was almost 2 to start my own business, a childcare center. The business afforded me the opportunity to be an entrepreneur while being with my kids. Once my kids were too old to be at the childcare center, I arranged it so that I didn't have to be there every day (I have a staff of 20 teachers plus a director and cleaning service). This arrangement gave me the freedom to drive my kids to their after school sports, rehearsals, lessons, etc. Now one son lives in R.I. and the other is in college in Boston. And I drive my daughter daily from CT to NY and back for pre-professional ballet classes. And as our lives have evolved, my schedule has been able to accommodate it . . . I've been very fortunate.

My only regret is that they grow up. I'd give anything to be able to do it all again from the beginning. I'm jealous that you're just beginning. I hope to someday have grandkids swimming in my new tub : )

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judydel - Thank you so much for sharing your story. It absolutely touched me. I've been feeling pressure to do well in both areas - my career and my family life - and couldn't figure out which one had to suffer to accommodate the other. What a wonderful life you have, I only hope I'm so lucky.

Your nostalgia for the old days is equivalent to my hope for a future as blessed as yours!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Hi again! One more question?

What are the dimensions of your showers? I'm trying to make my master bath feel more open and spacious than the hell hole it is now. So I'm thinking of going with the smallest yet still comfortable shower. Your showers seem perfect. Thanks again for all your help.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem...the master shower is 43" x 42", the guest shower is 48" x 32.5". Both feel very spacious.

• marisany
    14 years ago

redroze, I logged in to tell you how exquisite your bathrooms are, and to comment that you don't seem to have towel rods! Our bathroom renovation is almost finished, and I am going crazy trying to figure out where to put them. As soon as I find my digital camera, I will post a threat entitled, "Contest - a prize to the person who finds places to put towels in this bathroom!" I see that you have a train rack with hooks in one bathroom, and hooks only in the other.

I did also want to wish you the best as you begin the journey to motherhood. There is nothing like having children. You can probably imagine how your life will change in some ways, but you cannot imagine how much joy you will experience as a parent.

(I'm can't help but think of what my two very muddy sons would do to those pristine bathrooms!)

• yuliadc
    14 years ago

The bathrooms are incredible! Everything fits together so perfectly!

What subway tiles did you use (maker and color)? Are they very white or more creamy white? Thank you in advance!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Are those exterior shower measurements?

Speaking of towel bars/hooks . . . I'm short on space also. I'm thinking of getting a towel stand like this one by Pottery Barn. Anyone have a towel stand and want to comment?

{{gwi:1488596}}

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marisany - We don't have towel bars and I don't miss them. The hooks are perfect. Please post your bathroom and I'll chime in on the towel bar/hook placement!! We've got handsheld shower heads so we can hose kids down.=)

Yulia - I honestly don't know the subway tile maker, unfortunately. We just saw them at a tile store and chose them, and everything was quite rushed. They're more of a creamy white for sure as Calacatta tends to have a creamy tone to it.

Judy - They are interior measurements. That's a great towel stand - we may add one beside our tub one day.