SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_sl

Show me your walk-in showers

suzanne_sl
13 years ago

I've looked through a thousand or more bathroom photos on Houzz, and I'm not really seeing walk-in showers, although I'm sure there must be some. We're building an addition which includes a master bath and are planning a walk-in. The master bath we've had for the last 36 years has a small acrylic shower stall that is perfectly functional and easy to clean, but we're ready to move on. I love the look and design of tile showers, but am concerned about cleaning grout. I laughed at the shower door guy who replaced our plastic door with a lovely glass one and suggested we should squeegy it down after every shower (walk-in = no door!). Our GC is encouraging a solid surface of some sort (we haven't gotten as far as specifically what). I've looked at online cites for Corian, cultured marble, and anything else that says solid surface, and, I gotta say, they are boring. I'm not big on the "it looks like a hotel" thing - I've never aspired to live in a hotel. Maybe a large format tile would be a compromise solution? I do love contrast bits like a line of pattern tiles or whimsy.

This is an original adobe house and the addition will maintain that look (for earthquake code reasons, the addition will be adobe-look, not the real thing). For general style, think Mission or Craftsman. Ideas? Advice?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals