SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowley99_gw

Help! I need to buy a car!

jcrowley99
15 years ago

Well, I got my drivers license in June, so now I will need to buy my first car! We do have 2, one is my hubby's 2007 Honda C-RV, and the other is my sons 2005 Honda C-RV. I like driving my son's car, but he is planning to take it with him to college in August. My husband drives his car to the train station and takes the train to work each day, but using his would mean dropping him at the station between 5:45 and 6:30 in the morning, and picking him up at 6:00 in the evening. It is almost a 1 hour drive round trip during rush hour, so unless elves are going to cook the dinner that won't work! So we will be adding a car.

I am looking for something small that gets good mileage for city driving where it will be used. Our 2 C-RVs get between 19 and 22mpg city depending on the conditions, I want something closer to 30 mpg city. I also like the ease of loading groceries into our cars so I am looking for something similar. After research, I'm going to look at the Honda Fit (2009 when it comes out in the fall because they are adding some good safety features), 29 mpg city; the Scion xD, 26 mpg city; the Pontiac Vibe, 26 mpg city; the MINI Cooper, 28 mpg city; and the Toyota Matrix; 25 mpg city. All of these are similar to the C-RV but smaller. I am also going to look at the Toyota Prius, at 48 mpg city I have to check it out. So do you or anyone you know own any of these cars? I'm going to try to look at all of them but the Honda early this week. I will test drive the 2008 Fit later this week, but the 2009 may not hit the market until September. I don't really need to get the car until near the end of August, but I have heard that some, like the Prius and the Fit, are very hard to find so I thought I better start looking. We only have a 2 car garage, and half is filled with cedar right now because we are building a new deck so my son is already parking on the driveway.

An interesting side note. When my son, then 16, got his drivers license, our car insurance went up by an obscene amount, it more than doubled. So I talked to our agent and he said my being added to the policy probably would not change the rate by more than a few dollars. My hubby was on pins and needles waiting to see how much the rate would go up. We got our new rate this week; it went DOWN by $11.00! LOL! I guess 40 year old housewives are a safe bet in the insurance industry.

Joanne

Comments (15)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!