SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfvera

Customer Reviews - Best Buy

sfvera
13 years ago

When purchasing electornics we rely on consumer and store customer reviews for a broader view of the product's functionality and durability, in addition to specs. When we purchased a laptop from Best Buy that was defective, we returned it and received a replacement. We decided to accept the replacement b/c the customer reviews for this product averaged 4.2 out of 5.0. The second laptop was also defective (DVD drive died at 2 weeks, among other issues) and submitted a review to Best Buy saying the model was not well built. It wasn't a rant, just stated what our experience was. Best Buy (which reviews all reviews before posting) did not post the review but posted other 4 star reviews dated after ours. Best Buy says they "sometimes" don't post reviews but won't specify what would cause them to reject a review. Best Buy also didn't post less than glowing reviews that two different neighbors attempted to post in the last year.

I spoke with a salesman at Best Buy after the DVD player died and he said that several of that particular model had been being returned as defective. Unfortunately, for us the DVD player died on the 15th day after purchase so it couldn't be returned. We are now going through the process of having the DVD player, keyboard and another internal hardware glitch repaired by the manufacturer.

Perhaps we are are the only people who really believed the store review site was unedited and truly a representation of customers reviews but if not, we wanted to let others know, too.

Comments (27)

• owbist
    13 years ago

I have got into the habit of Googling any parts I need and adding 'problems' onto the end of the search query. Going through the list I ignore any professional sites and concentrate on forums hits to read the real reviews and issues.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

Though unfortunate it is not uncommon for a vein of production to be effected by the same failing part.

Like O I too Google and do research. I give as much weight to forums and non-commercial websites as I do manufacturer's and corporate sites. There is so much anonimity with the potential of slants and self-serving interests on any site I try to amass a full spectrum of information before making a decision.

DA

• Related Discussions

The best online conifer nursery? Reviews here...

Q

Comments (19)
    Based on what I have seen here the blue cedar will have a stake due to a deformed rootstock being used, and the tops of the box are plenty big enough for their roots to be matted - the magnolia will not be the only one that needs work at planting. With deciduous magnolias it appears you want to be subjecting them to root damage only when they are in leaf. Otherwise they may just sit there and rot. When a potted plant has the correct proportion between top and roots the top looks undersized to many consumers. This and growers not keeping up with potting on anyway results in under-potted stock being the general situation in the retail setting. Loosening up the outside of a matted root system is not too hard to deal with; corkscrew roots, hard woody root turnips and other severe deformities in the center of the root mass, right below the crown - resulting from stock being left in bands, liners or 4" pots way too long at production facilities - is a different story, and just the thing to spoil a woody specimen after it has grown for many years and made a nice big top. Tall, fast growers like cypresses or pines may even break loose and go over, when part of the root system is caught up in going around and around - instead of all of the main roots immediately leaving the vicinity of the trunk and radiating outward to their full lengths and forming a good anchorage. This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 16:38
    ...See More

Best iQ hood insert reviews?

Q

Comments (3)
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any information, (good or bad) on the Best IQ range hood inserts.I am looking at the 1200 CFM version to go over a Capital rangetop with 6 burners and a grill.
    ...See More

Which Semi Custom Cabinets are best?

Q

Comments (27)
    I'm a KD (signed in with to avoid "branding") About half my work is upper end, the other half mainstream. Just took a look at 10 "semi" or slightly better kitchens, 160 to 20 sq ft, nicely detailed, fully functional. Cabinets were between 12 and 24k. No reason you can't do a fine kitchen in that range- all the ones over 20 were in a slightly "better brand" but 3 in that brand were under 20. North Jersey will be 10-25% higher from what I've seen. Making a kitchen completely functional adds between 7 and 10% usually. Since you can pay more than that for plywood, a glaze, paint, cherry, a door style...I see no reason not to make functional kitchens. Just do it carefully. Semi-custom is just a price point. In framed cabinets it means pocket hole frames- (frameless is harder to explain). You can still get custom sizes, reasonable modifications and good details at the price-if you look around. Finish, wood grading and customer service are the things that vary the most. Price spread is roughly 10% but can be as much as 20 and as little as 0 (for the same two brands). THERE IS NO BEST. Take a rough plan and have it priced as is at a few places. One you make up that has everything you think you want and a correct amount of cabinets. That can give you a rough idea for budget. Details will be missing so allow 10% more. While you're at it pay attention to who you are dealing with. That should be a bigger factor than what brand. IF you run across someone who indicates that they want to add some details tell them to price that as an option. (but put them on you're short list to go back to).
    ...See More

Custom Wallpaper - Experiences and reviews?

Q

Comments (22)
    There are a few Duro patterns that come up there, although not a lot. There are also some brick and mortar retailers that carry it - mostly NY, LA, Chicago. Another Swedish paper company has retailers in (I don't quite get it but) Dallas and Boise. If I find something specific, I'm probably going to be e-mailing to see who has WHAT. And what order lead times are. Possibly they are quite long. Thibaut was another good suggestion with some potential, as I page through their designs. Defintely looking like it's worth my while to order swatches from a few companies and compare. ;-)
    ...See More
  • sfvera
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses. We did Google the model before purchasing but apparently it was new enough that the problems with that model weren't popping up yet. Even now there are only a couple posts about it being defective although the BB salesman said more than half have been returned. Sony said they would repair it but we haven't heard a word from them in a week so we'll have to contact them again.

We're just really disappointed that Best Buy wouldn't post all customer reviews to give their customers a chance to make better informed decisions.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I stopped shopping at Best Buy almost a decade ago when they screwed me out of a $5 rebate. I've bought lots of things Best Buy sells since then, just not a Best Buy. Probably an error in judgment on the part of a less than well trained employee that couldn't see the long term consequences of his decision but that's not my fault.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

remember if you purchased with a credit card you usually have recourse through your credit card also, so if you find you are not being provided the proper service you can consider going through the credit card.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

Only 30 days from purchase.

DA

• sfvera
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ravencajun, Thanks for the suggestion. We did contact our credit card company, they advised we could dispute the charge but b/c of Best Buy's return policy and Sony's willingness to honor its warranty it would probably be denied.

Sony's tech was here today and he replaced the DVD drive and keyboard but the other problems may be solved by a full recovery. Sony is sending factory made discs for free (usually $50 if ordered from Sony) in case there were problems with the original install. If the recovery doesn't solve the other problems the laptop will have to be sent back to Sony for repair--a two to three week process.

Sigh, this is a very frustrating situation. We had this laptop less than 30 days when the problems started but just over the 14-day return period allowed by Best Buy. BB said we could return the laptop after paying a 15% restocking fee! We believe Best Buy knew there were significant issues with this model. Worse, we know they are not publishing customer reviews that report these problems to conceal them from potential customers. Needless to say, we aren't buying from Best Buy ever again.

The good news is the Sony tech was great, really knew his stuff and pushed Sony to provide the recovery discs and agree to having it returned if the recovery doesn't work. We are holding onto that bright spot and are hopeful that eventually the laptop will be properly repaired.

• owbist
    13 years ago

Well at least Sony seems to be standing behind their product, hopefully the recovery disks will set you up and running properly.

Another black mark for Best Buy for sure.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

I hope everything works our all right with your laptop. And I'm sorry about the less than honest review process as well.
    I have had BB actually lose my computer that was sent in for service and finally they to give me a new one after weeks of waiting and finally admitting they couldn't find it.

I have had good luck with Sony products on the whole, but also had a recent customer service disappointment. I bought an iPod wireless docking station with 2 speakers that could be used anywhere in the house. One speaker failed within a few days. I called Sony and they wanted me to pack up the whole kit and kaboodle and send it to them with a 2 week turnaround. I declined, returned the docking station to the place of purchase and got a Bose product instead. I think it's a lot to ask of a customer to jump through all those hoops with a brand new product.

Sometimes it's just not as much fun to get something new these days! :)

• tuktuk39_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

BEST BUY CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!!! They cannot even change the shipping address... which the store sales rep feeded wrong in the system... NO ONE IS READY TO HELP.... I am on call with them past 4 hrs as well as i was in store y'day(I had placed the order on 06.23.11 @ 3.15pm and was in store @ 4.45pm same day) where I placed the order for $3000.00. Not even the store manager helped me and said that they cannot cancel the order... I hate BEST BUY and would never recommend anybody to buy products from them.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

I am missing something here. The point of negativity towards BB is obvious. The circumstances elude me.

This is also another case of the member's name being in black without a hyper link to a members page. Also, no listing via the GW member's service page though there is a somewhat similar name.
    Hmmm!

DA

• maggie200
    12 years ago

No more Best Buy. We do not want them in our neighborhood.
    There is only one bottom line and they will not lose a penney on you. I have posted on here my disgust with the untrained Geek Squad. Customers are in line telling there stroies of how bad they are. Shouting matches are common every day. They are sleazy and told me over and over I didn't have a corrupt hard drive even though that is what came up. They lied in their diagnostics which you cannot see and said I had 147 viruses which were cookies. Their service contracts have caveats that put you out of more money. One tech stood up to the disgusting sleazy owner and said "yes, she has a corrupt drive. The message kept coming up and was from the BIOS. The manager was furious. They gave me a 2nd drive and somehow lost my documents. They couldn't fix it and still would not give money back, 4-6 weeks at manufacture for a
    badly rated PC I opted for when they did have what I wanted. The sales person suggested it. At home I saw the bad reviews on the Best Buy site but didn't use common sense and take it back within the 14 day window.The only way I could get help to find documents was to pay $200 foro online Geek Squad. The guy was helpful and in disbelief. We are working nightly onthe problems.
    DON"T GO TO BEST BUY. I live in Alexndria and the Geek Squad mgr and the store Manager are only looking at numbers. Again, we don't want these guys in our neighborhood. We live well here and shop our local businesses. Not this one.
    Finding a personal tech is hard but you almost have to have a back up to keep going. Buy from someone else and use the manufacturer. I had a Geek Squad tech who was taking an on-line course to learn IT. They laughed at me
    and asked what was I going to do. If I didn't buy their repair service then I should move forward and start over as I will neversee my photos, documents etc again. Lost OUtlook. They don't deal with Outlook.

• owbist
    12 years ago

Maggie I am very sad to read your poor experience with BB. However you have to take some responsibility here. Backing up data is not difficult nor time consuming yet so few computer owners bother.

May I suggest in future you use Windows Explorer - right click the Start button then click Explore. Now right click on My Documents near the top of the left column and click Properties. Use the tabs at the top of the new window to see how much space is being used. if less than 4.5 gigs you can copy the whole folder to a DVD.

When the computer was returned to you did you also get the defective hard drive? That is more important than just the data.

No, they probably would not deal with Outlook and you should be glad or the bill would be higher still. Google your Outlook problem, use 'Outlook tutorials' for example and you get over 22 million hits. You only need 2 or 3 written in a way you are comfortable with.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

Anyone that has a concern with any item or purveyor is indeed unfortunate as like everyone else I have been through it. However, except for that instance in 1996 when both BB and I were new in the computer realm I have never had any concerns with BB regardless of the purchased item.

The obligation for preparedness and awareness is mine alone. The decision is mine alone. I have always researched the items, prepared my questions, and purchased what I want rather than what I am directed to.

Since in Michigan there is no legal obligation for a purveyor to accept for repair, or exchange a factory warrantied item I have to be prepared. It is however good customer service that they do so, and I for one accept the narrow window of opportunity presented. I also recognize that unfortunately there are too many fraudulent consumers who are untruthful, and are always looking for something for nothing.

If a consumer has purchased an in-store or extended warranty then they have not researched that topic. I have yet to read a publication or view a website which supports the purchase of these warranties. They are recognized money makers for businesses containing loopholes and open opportunities for disappointment. If an additional warranty has been purchased and there is over-lap coverage, factory and extended simultaneously, the item should always be returned to the manufacturer for repair.

I wish all who buy good luck and "Buyer Beware".

DA

• maggie200
    12 years ago

I did my homework when I walked into BB but they did not have what I wanted. The sales person was stupid or smart enough to pick out a PC from the list that has horrible ratings that I could not see. I spent $1100. So call it my fault for not leaving the store and pursuing it up and down the 395 corridor.

At the time of my first complaint when they did diagnostics and lied and said that I should ignore the page that came up from Trendmaker Americana (if I remember correctly.) That page said the hard drive was bad and to replace it. BB told me to F1 out of it. All the techs and the manager of Geek Squad and the store agreed. It was suspicious to have them all there aound me at once. I bought a Free Agent Go-Flex drive w/Mimeo. They loaded my data I thought and I tried to do the backup at home. They broke of the plug at the USB port and I could not get it in. They would not replace that either and denied loading the drive after the diagnostics. What can one do. Liars win and make money for BB corporation who has never stepped in to this store's situation. It is known as the worst Bb in the Washington, DC area by other BB managers. Whatever I do I will find someone to tell me I should have done something else.But I did the best I could to keep my documents, and knew nothing about the inability to save Outlook. Geek Squad should list what they can't do first. But the fact is they ruined Outlook for me and the libraries. I have been slimed by these managers in Alexandria, VA and at the site of them - unshaven, dirty hair I get the feeling they are not going to do anything but reel you in and make more money off of you at the after sale. With no investment in trained techs we are in trouble. We have Comcast and Best Buy. We are stuck. We can afford the technology we just can't use it.I also hate the suggestion to use tutorials. We all can try that when it is a microsoft problem that hasn't been corrupted by the thought process of trainees left to their own thinking. They cannot possibly write to the lack of training and ethics of Best Buy. Just expect to lose at least $1,000 if you walk out the door with a PC or laptop. Oh and don't forget the sleepless nights of trying to make sense of what is happening. God Bless America we are more and more being held hostage to crooks.

• vala55
    12 years ago

I still buy my computers there because I do not want to order one and they are the last store that carries high end ready made computers in our city. I bought a computer for my son at BB yesterday and arranged it for him to pick it up at a Washington St store. It was a mess, mostly a problem clerk, he would not look me in the eye, never smiled one time, he would mumble something and walk away. He acted like he partied all night or was coming down from drugs. I asked for someone else, I didn't get that request. I asked him to do 2 things and he said it can't be done. I went over his head and it could be done. Finally I was ready to pay for it and he took me to a register away from his managers and went through the motions, then said that BB won't accept a purchase like this. I talked to the district manager after I got home, she talked me into coming back and giving them another chance. It went fine that time.

The computer I bought a few months ago at another BB was an ordeal of another kind. I finally finished the transaction with two visits and got home found out they had still over charged me $30.

I don't buy anything but PCs there.

• owbist
    12 years ago

Maggie wrote:- I also hate the suggestion to use tutorials
    Maggie how can you expect to learn anything if you resent the idea of tutorials? Every item we buy seems to have a user manual (tutorial?)

Please don't allow your bad experience with BB sour your computer use, these are pretty incredible machines. Help is available all over the internet at sites such as this one.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

Val,

This is interesting.

Early through the winter I spent $325 for a BB Insignia (house brand) 32 inch HDTV to put here in the extra bedroom by the computer. No problems with anything; sales or in store service. None. They even took it out to the lot and loaded it into the back of my SUV.

Four months ago I dropped a $1000 at BB on a Samsung 46 inch HDTV for the living room. Again, no problems with anything; sales or in-store service. Nothing. And, they once again loaded it into my SUV.

I also think back to three years ago when I purchased this system at BB. No muss. No fuss. It was strictly business and customer service. In fact, the monitor and tower went on sale a week later for $70 dollars less, and included an entry level HP A-I-O. I drove down with my receipt in hand, and walked out with a $70.00 credit on my credit card and the A-I-O box under my arm.

There are a couple of other smaller purchases with likewise experiences, but I think that would be redundant.

I wish I knew why I am successful at BB as I would be happy to share the reason.

O,

Not saying this is the case here, but some are more into instant gratification and impatience because of it rather than being patient and taking the time for self-achievement. Then there are people as you and I who feel gratified by self-success.

DA

• maggie200
    12 years ago

"Maggie wrote:- I also hate the suggestion to use tutorials
    'Maggie how can you expect to learn anything if you resent the idea of tutorials? Every item we buy seems to have a user manual (tutorial?)"

I am not opposed to tutorials so I don't need that condescending lecture.

"Please don't allow your bad experience with BB sour your computer use, these are pretty incredible machines. Help is available all over the internet at sites such as this one"

Owbist and damccoy, I was the director of the night school at a college and hired the IT folks and paid them about $70K a year for a night job. One characteristic they had to have as a teacher was the understanding some of their students were not going to succeed in the networking field. Their students, like my autistic students of today, have gifts in other areas. Teachers or IT experts should not have a holier than thou attitude. Yes, we all can read the tutorials but they do not address the multiple outrageous decisions of staff at BB or Comcast and the numerous problems they cause by trying to fix something they are not trained to work on. Microsoft can not anticipate what untrained employees will do to your computer. My last computer I kept for 13 years and had friends in the business to look at it when I could not find the answer on my own. We should not have to keep a computer that is ruined at the hands of a BB employee

I taught special needs kids and most recently adults.Almost all are autistic. They try to learn all they can and I teach them to use resources like reading on-line if they can read. It is part of their daily living skills. We all have the same ones. We all try to be independent, save money and seek self achievement. All the words you above have batted around smugly. Geesh!! I send them out into the world and hope I have recognized their talents and brought out the best. So, I am not an impatient whiner. I think one must recognize the diversity of the people who come here for help with their computer instead of boasting. For myself and my students and friends I do not want them to become victims of these kinds of BB creeps nor to suffer the comments like the above eluding to laziness if computers are not ones area of knowledge. I don't see the point of damccoy and owbist responding on here and insulting people.

• owbist
    12 years ago

Maggie, no where was I attempting to be condescending, I was merely trying to make helpful suggestions, sorry you see it differently.

Your fight with Best Buy seems to be clouding your thoughts.

• fruitjarfla
    12 years ago

I vote to keep BB in my neighborhood, otherwise Office Depot and Staples will have a better monopoly on electronics. I have a high priced SUV that had the clear sealer paint that was pealing. I missed the manufacturer warranty by one month and the manufacturer and dealer refused to pay for the $1100 fix. Whose fault? Mine. Do I want that brand of auto or dealer to go away? Why? There's is another dealer and different manufacturer around the bend that will have the same type of warranty.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

Maggie,

There is no intent to insult nor is there any rudeness. Statements of position are common on the forum along with expansion of facts and clarification of points. Anything I see posted on this thread is poignant, disclaimed and lacks accusation or finger pointing. Plus, we all know that positions and comments are based on what is known at the time, albeit often limited in nature.

There are other forums on the web where the "flaming" at times even makes me cringe. I don't visit them often as they ARE insulting.

Wish you luck with your BB campaign.

DA

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

V,

I was just thinking about this. Could there be a gender bias with female customers at BB? It may not be overt or be sanctioned by the company, but sometimes a concept like that will take on a life of its own.

DA

• linda_6
    12 years ago

No Best Buy for me either. Last year I went in to buy a camcorder. I specifically said I wanted one that uses dvd's that when you're done recording, you remove it and put it in your dvd player on the tv. When I brought it home, I took a little movie of our cat to try it out. Well, it's didn't work on the tv. I had to download it on our computer and upload it on another dvd. When I went to return it they said I had to pay a restocking fee, even though they sold me the wrong one. I went into the BB website and posted a complaint. The manager called and I explained how I got the run-a-round with this. I said they tried to sell me one at a more expensive price even though I told them my limit of spending. In the end of all this, she finally waived my restocking fee and sent me a $50 gift card to use. Well, I took that gift card and donated to our charities because I will not step in that store again. Good Bye Best Buy. You seen the last of me.

• cat_ky
    12 years ago

Our Best Buy here does a great business, and I havent heard anyone have any complaints. They are very helpful, every time I go in there. They are a chain outfit, and I think a lot depends upon the manager that is hired. Some are good and some are bad, just like most other chain outfits. If the store has a really good caring manager, and hires good caring people, it is a better place to shop than a store that has a manager that doesnt give a darn, and doesnt care who he hires. There is another one in Colorado that my oldest son does a lot of shopping at, and he hasnt had any problems either. However, there is - one in Mn where I used to live, and it wasnt worth a darn, and has a terrible reputation.

• grandms
    12 years ago

I used to read all sorts of ranting about Circuit City also, but I always had good experiences with them. Bought both my desktop computers there as well as other items, including our HDTV. That they delivered (I bought online) and set up for us at no charge. Couldn't have asked for better service.

Have never bought from BB, so have no opinions there, but I would think lots would depend on the manager and the employees they hire.

No, I would never buy an extended warranty from any store----only from manufacturer, and have never done even that.

• vala55
    12 years ago

I bought this computer a few months back and they tried to give me one in a box that had been set up by them with their protection software on it and wanted to charge me $150. I told them "I want a PC that has not been opened", the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I told him I had rather have the protection that was recommended in here. He said that free stuff won't protect your computer. They did not want to get me another computer. I actually enjoy setting up my own PC. It's fun and I don't know for sure what else they could install on my PC. They also over charged me and that had nothing to do with my behavior toward them. I finally got the over charge removed after a second trip to their store. When all was said and done they still owed me $3o.