SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymt_gw

Best tub for bathing babies and dogs?

marymt
13 years ago

We need to replace the tub/surround in the kids' bath. Our kids are old enough to use a deep soaker, but we will have a deep airtub in our master bath, so I thought we should have one tub that is appropriate for future owners and for bathing our dogs.

Looks like, to fit in the 30" width we have now, our choices are American Standard Acrylux, American Standard Acrylic, or Kohler Villager Cast Iron. The Villager is shallow, which is an advantage for dog/baby bathing. Our house was built in the 80s, so not sure if the floor was constructed to hold cast iron, but since the tub is small I would think the filled weight wouldn't be too bad?

Lots of dicussions pros and cons on here about cast iron vs synthetic, but I'm wondering how the finishes hold up to dogs' nails?

Plus, just to complicate things, we might still consider a Sterling solid surround/tub set made of their Vikrell material. But my understanding is that the material is very thin, and I wonder if it would hold up to a 50-lb collie who does NOT want to be in there!

Comments (13)