SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Computer security hi-jacked - WARNING!!

debo_2006
11 years ago

The culprit is fake security called WINDOWS INSTANT SCANNER. This thing just showed up out of nowhere on my work laptop (Gateway, Vista). It pops up "detected" security messages to get you to buy the program in order to remove all the infected files/programs. It just shut off Windows Essential Security and I can't do anything. Luckily, I just ran SuperAnti Spyware last week which updated itself at that time, so I'm running that now to find the crap and get it gone!!! I switched my laptop Internet connection to OFF hoping that helps this thing to not access my sh*t while I try to get control of computer again. Upon research, I probably should have rebooted in Safe mode to run the anti spyware, but too much time has passed since the start of running it, that I don't want to start over, unless someone thinks it's wise to do. It usually takes 2 hours and I'm already 50 minutes into it.

Upon using my slow desktop to type this and check to see just what this Windows Instant Scanner is, I found it is nothing to play around with. The way it looks is much like the authentic Windows Security alerts, so to someone who's not so 'puter savvy, I can see how they might click on the "Activate It" and purchase it to get rid of this thing. One of the detected messages states there is a keylogger on my computer. Upon research, it's one of the many alerts this program shows to force you to buy it.

Just warning everyone out that that it can suddenly appear and take over your anti-virus. Anyone heard or experienced it yet? I'll let you know how I make out with the SuperAnti Spyware removal, but if anyone has other "clean up" ideas, I'm all ears.

Comments (18)