SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyopa

Liebherr - Freezer problems

13 years ago

I have a built-in 30" Liebherr. I've had it for a little over a year. First, the ice maker malfunctioned. It took a few service calls to fix it. Now a short time later a wall of ice appeared on the back wall of the freezer. The temp rose suddenly and the alarm went off. I adjusted it, shut off the ice maker, but it happened again. Ice Maker is off, freezer empty and I can't get a service call until 8/23. Probably the ice maker again but the Liebherr rep. Jerry, insisted it was a control panel problem - how interesting that conclusion was reached before anyone looked at it - is it because he doesn't want to admit that once again the ice maker is malfunctioning? That he wants to run the warranty time? It doesn't matter what the problem is, it's that there is a problem(s) with such an expensive refrigerator in such a short time. I want a new unit - one without an ice maker. Actually, I wish I could trade for another brand but I doubt that will happen. However, Jerry says that a replacement won't happen. They'll fix this one. I feel this machine is a lemon. Is this the customer service one should accept from an appliance that costs $5,000? I have a Sunbeam in the basement that hasn't presented one problem in the years I've had it. It cost less than $400. Should my experience taint the reputation of the entire brand? Maybe all Liebherrs aren't defective but when one is, one should get better customer service than what I am getting. I've read many blogs (the Alternative Consumer, e.g.,) that address problems others have experienced with the Liebherr freezer(from 2007 through to the present - wish I had seen prior to buying). It's a wonder that there isn't a class action out there. But I'll wait to see what Liebherr does to remedy this situation. I don't think getting a new unit is an unreasonable request. Two malfunctions in this short a time is too many for such an expensive item that is supposed to be so well engineered. To all potential buyers, I would be wary of this product - if I am proven wrong about their customer service and that they stand behind their product and, more importantly, their customers' satisfaction, I'll report back. Actually, I'll report back whatever the outcome.

Comments (22)