SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

smallish upright freezer - Summit, Frigidaire, Liebherr

lisa_a
11 years ago

This is a x-post from the appliances forum.

I hope you all can help me figure out which upright freezer to purchase as a supplemental freezer for our laundry room.

Our KA fridge (in the kitchen) has a 5.5 cu ft freezer but useable space is less than that because of the ice maker and ice bin. We currently have a commercial Whirlpool freezer, approx 19 cu ft, in the garage. I thought I would just move it to the laundry room but I realized that once I added the 3" required clearances for each side to its 33" width, it's too large for my space. Plus I rarely need that much freezer space, especially now that we're close to being empty nesters. We fill our kitchen's freezer but generally use half or less of our garage freezer.

I've determined that our needs would be met with a freezer that is 7 to 11 cu ft, give or take a bit. We would prefer a frost free or auto defrost model. Manual defrost is fine for the garage but I'd rather not deal with that mess in the house.

Here are my space constraints:

34" wide

28" - 30" deep (will need to move the fan switch to the other wall if we go with a 30" deep freezer).

No height restrictions.

Energy star-rated is a definite plus for me. It would also be nice if the freezer was on the quiet side of noise, not the other direction (the laundry room is right next to my home office).

One more caveat: If at all possible, I'd love to be able to include a freezer and a 10" to 12" pull-out cabinet in the 34" between the side wall and our stackable W/D (allowed 29" for these, width plus required clearance). More storage would be very handy.

Pickings are slim but here are a few I'm considering.

Summit offers a manual defrost 6.4 cu ft freezer that fits a 22" wide space. They also offer a 5 cu ft freezer that require only 24" width. Could I stack the 5 cu ft units? Unfortunately, Summit does not offer auto defrost in their mid-range size freezers. I am not familiar with Summit so any feedback about this brand would be helpful.

The Frigidaire FFU12F2HW is auto defrost, 12.1 cu ft. Not energy star rated. Freezer plus required clearance uses the entire 34" width of my space. Reviews are generally good, bit of a mixed bag about noise issues. The Kenmore 2826 seems to be the same freezer.

The price of the last one I've found, which fits all my needs, makes me gasp. The Liebherr F1051 ($3K - $3.7K). It's a built-in, requires only 24" width, is frost free, 9.4 cu. ft. and is very efficient, using only 450 KWh, compared to 586 KWh for the larger Frigidaire and Kenmore models. (I realized as I made this second post that my math was off earlier. It's still more efficient than the F and K models but not that much more efficient.)

Are there any others I should consider? Is my quest to find a smallish freezer for a narrow-ish space a wild goose chase?

TIA!

Comments (15)