SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Method to organize data files on my computer?

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

I have hooked up an external hard drive and plan to add a second internal hard drive. Before backing up data, I'd like to organize it and am now sure how to go about it. By that, I mean are there certain systems that just make sense and are easy to use? Like a folder for all my documents - and subfolders for pictures, music, word files, videos, etc. or should each have a separate main folder (I think that would be easier for me instead of opening my documents and from there opening up my pictures.) And then how do I physically move these files around and make sure I"ve found them all. I just started looking at windows explorer and am amazed at how my files are all over the place - in various folders and subfolders. partly a product of my husband and I sharing a previous comoputer before we had any idea of where to save files - and then all that data and mess got transferred to my new pc 1 1/2 years ago.

I have photos stuck in all sorts of places - my pictures, and various subfolders throughout my computer. Looking around explorer I was amazed to find some of my pictures in so many weird places. Is there a way to make sure I've found them all (most are .jpegs - some are .tiffs) - and place them in one large "my pictures" folder? And is there a way to make "my pictures" folder separate - like "my documents" and not a subfolder in "my documents"?

The above may not be the best way to organize my data files. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm sure there are some standard ways to do this.

I have video files in Itunes, Tivodesktop, Miro, VideoRedo and a couple from my daughter's Flip Mino video recorder. I'd also like to start loading my home movies (now on mini-dv). Is there a good way to organize these? Should I keep the Tivo files in the Tivo Desktop program - and leave the Itunes mpeg4's in the Itunes folder, etc. Or should all videos (regardless of format) be together.

I'm not sure how I'd access the files if I want to work on them within editing programs like Tivodesktop or VideoRedo. Should I keep those files in the program themselves?

And then there's saved emails - leave on gmail, transfer to thunderbird (some are there from when I left AOL).

I do not have a good grasp on how best to organize this - so I imagine this thread will help me focus my thoughts and create further questions.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (7)