SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

(free) ZoneAlarm 9.2 made changes in 'server' permissions

biwako_of_abi
13 years ago

WinXP on a Dell Dimension desktop

Zone Alarm and MSE acting as firewall and virus control, and I run MalwareBytes Antimalware regularly.

After a notice from CNET, I decided to upgrade to the free ZoneAlarm 9.2.

Now I notice that (although I asked for my present settings to be preserved) it has made changes in the ZA program list, putting green check-marks under "Server" for not only Trusted, but also "Internet," for the following programs:

FireFox itself

iTunes

Bonjour service (connected with iTunes?)

CLI application, command line interface, which I had never heard of before

the Microsoft Malware Protection command line utility

and Google updater

So far as I remember, when I first went to using ZA, I changed everything in the Server section to either "?" or "X," after someone here wrote of the dangers of allowing a program to act as server.

I have again changed things back to "?" or "X" for all of the above, knowing that if any of them above need permission, they can ask for it when the time comes. Generic host process for Win32 services is now the only program that has a green check-mark for both Server: Trusted and Server:Internet because originally I somehow got the impression that it needs full permission to function. If that is not the case, I will "?" or "X" that, too, for both "Server:Trusted" and "Server:Internet."

(1)Just what does the command line interface do, and would there be trouble if I disabled it for "Internet"?

(2) Does the Microsoft Malware Protection command line utility need permission for both Server:Trusted and Server:Internet in order to function properly?

(3) I don't get the difference between "Trusted" and "Internet" under "Server." I understand from previous advice given me here that it is undesirable and unnecessary for almost any program to act as a server (which I assume can be prevented by putting ? or an X under "Internet," but then, what does "Trusted" mean? What can they no longer do if they are marked "Trusted," but not "Internet"?

I will appreciate any light you can shed on this subject. Sorry this is so long.

Comments (5)