SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Now unemployed...

wizardnm
14 years ago

This a hard for me to write about. I actually got fired from my job...there, I said it! No, I didn't do anything wrong and the reason I was given, was because gross sales were down in 2009. I'm not going to say who I worked for, many of you already know. I just don't want this post to come up on a search because of using the company's name. For those who don't know I was the store manager of a gourmet shop owned by manufacturer of jarred jams, salsa's and cooking sauces.

But I am really bummed! I enjoyed my job and the product. But yes, sales were down by about 15% for my store. The other stores for the company were not down as much. Those stores are located in larger towns than mine and because those towns offer more to do during inclement weather, which we had more than our share of last summer. We are a beach and boating town in the summer. I also had a new store open last summer that was the first direct competition that the store I worked for has had in about 20 years, in my town.

In general, the downtown had almost a block of empty buildings last summer which didn't look good. Michigan has been suffering with the economy and that meant fewer summer tourists. It used to be that you were lucky to even find a parking place and we never had any empty store fronts. There has always been a few new shops to replace those that didn't make it. That has changed and I think furnacing has kept prospective shop owners at bay.

I took the lower sales volume into consideration right away and my year end figures were all better than previous years, except for the gross sales. My store profit was about the same as most years. So I was really in shock to hear that after just one year as manager, myself and entire staff would be replaced. I had great people working in the store and planning on returning. BTW, the store is always closed Jan thru mid-April and it's not easy to find good help that is OK with a 3-5 month layoff. College age and retired workers are the ones who seem to work out the best. The store was always neat, clean, stocked and well staffed. Customers were always approached in a very friendly manner and we were enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about the products.

I'm explaining all this because I was in total shock. But I did keep my cool. I asked questions and I gave reasons. My experience level in retail is about as high as it gets, I managed a large clothing store for over ten years, have owned my own store and was also a very successful sales rep selling to retailers and distributors for years. I wasn't doing this for the pay, I was doing it because I really enjoy people and retailing. Before being offered the managers job last spring, I had worked for this company for 4 years as a part time worker.

I quit working as a sales rep when we moved 'up north' to get away from all the travel. Upon moving here we started our own deli, fun but too much work for almost no paycheck at all.

I'm over being shocked, this all happened two weeks ago. As I think about the coming summer, I'm excited about not working and all the things I want to do. We are in the middle of some major remodeling and now I can really concentrate on my kitchen redo.

But here's my question.....does this sound like age discrimination to you? I am now over 60 (yikes!) but feel about 40... so it's hard for me to think about being old enough to lose a job because of age. I'm not trying to build a case against anyone, I just am trying to figure out the real reason I lost a job I enjoyed and IMHO was perfect for.

Nancy

Comments (50)

• pkramer60
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, Nancy, I am so sorry to read this. I know how much you enjoyed working there.

Was it age related? I don't know but it could be. Don't torture yourself over it.

Hugs!

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

That just sucks. Age discrimination is real and I am sure women bear the brunt of that. Whether you are a victim or not, hard to know.

You have depth, skills, knowledge, and experience. Some bright new opportunity awaits. I just know it!

Hugs, Eileen

• Related Discussions

They're making it harder for unemployed spouse to get credit car

Q

Comments (13)
    Here is an article that discusses changes proposed in 2009. The shift is intended to address credit cards landing in the hands of unemployed college students, but the repercussions would extend to SAHP's and SAHW/H's. It does, even if not on purpose, seem to be a throwback to the notion that a stay at home partner is not an equal partner. Household income, imo, should still be the criteria. Most of us here are obviously not dependent on credit cards. Certainly we all seem to agree that it's no tragedy to be without a credit card from the standpoint of purchasing power. Indeed, if we can't afford to buy unless we can charge it, we should do without. I think most of us understand that and live that way. Still, it is important for unemployed spouses to have their own credit history. In the event that they find themselves on their own, a solid pattern of using and paying for credit on time will serve a newly solo person very well. Dependent spouses without their own credit history are placed in a financially vulnerable position. We have one major credit card, and it's in my name. We have one store credit card, and it's also in my name. This gives me a history and a FICO score of my own, though I've been a SAHW for most of my 25 year marriage. My DH wants me to have that for myself, as do I. Here is a link that might be useful: credit
    ...See More

Inherited cattle

Q

Comments (58)
    Hi, GWlolo...yes, I know Tamil Nadu is next to Karnataka...spent too many days in that hot Chennai (Madras) sun to ever forget it! My Tamil is a bit rusty, but am ok at Kannada/Telugu. And love dhosas for breakfast. Not keen on ragi mudde, though... If I may add to your info about the cows' place in Indian society, it is also considered as the "mother"...a religious and social position as the provider. Also a status symbol in villages. An invitation to drink tea in an Indian household includes the importance of the milk in it. I once made the mistake of innocently tipping a half finished cup of tea down a sink, and spent weeks explaining that I had not refused my host's hospitality, and had meant no offense! And dcarch...beef is becoming more commonly available in up-market restaurants in the major cities. India's burgeoning middle class and the increasing number of expats have ensured that. Many Indian restaurateurs even keep their own beef cattle herds to ensure supply. Westernisation has also brought with it a proliferation of US fast-food joints...KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonalds etc are everywhere in the cities, sadly. The Big Mac was originally made with lamb/mutton (which is really goat!), but now they use chicken...
    ...See More

What Do I Do About The Bank Not Answering?

Q

Comments (14)
    LITH, Ask the possible cash buyer out to see the place, now; if she won't bother to come at this point she's just hoping to scoop up something cheap, cheap, cheap when/if you get desperate - perhaps more desperate than you would ever get. Test her interest with the invitation. If your place meets her needs, invite an offer from her. Your buyer is in default (and I have no doubt he knows that) -in addition to being in the Caribbean, so if the cash buyer makes you an offer you can live with, then take it. Tough luck for your current buyer. He coulda, woulda, and definitely, shoulda! Everybody is right, IMO, about who should be screaming (metaphorically, maybe even literally) at the bank and it is NOT you! Your pressure is more likely to screw up the process because you have no relationship to the bank. The way that they see it, they're not going to lose a dime if they p*ss you off. The buyer, OTOH, is their customer - not that that matters all that much these days. But truly, it is your buyer who has pledged to buy the place and getting the funds together to do so is entirely his problem, not yours. In your eagerness to get the deal done, you have have overstepped the correct boundaries of the separate, and distinct, roles and made it too easy for him. I'm not saying he's not committed, but I am saying he isn't carrying HIS load. He needs to man up and act like a competent grown-up who can get a fairly straight forward home loan done. In a perverse way, your efforts have enabled him to continue to fool around on his way to this purchase - and now you're feeling the fall out. Tell the cash buyer this: it appears that your current buyer is in default and may not be able to close (she needs no other details, and hopefully she doesn't know them) so you are preparing to put the property back on the market. But given that she has shown so much interest you are, courteously, offering her a "preview" to see it before anyone else does. This is putting some tactful fairydust on the situation, but she doesn't need to know that. Just set it up as a chance for her to see it before anyone else, and not a last ditch effort on your part. Meanwhile, the old clanker down in my basement is still puffing and screeching away and mojo-ing like mad on your behalf. (And, if there is a next time, DO NOT DEAL WITH YOUR BUYERS' BANK - that's their job, and if they aren't on top of it, at every single turn, consider it a clear sign they aren't really committed to the deal. Build hard pass/fail tests at various stages of the contract so you can bail at the first sign of dilly-dallying - even on the part of their bank. It will save you time and angst.) HTH, L.
    ...See More

Well, in two weeks, I'm unemployed

Q

Comments (4)
    I wish I had another job to go to. This was a good job, and I doubt I'll find something better, but it was a long drive, and too little money, and a boss who wanted me gone, so I guess even being broke would be better. I still have two paychecks coming, plus a small check once a month from Worker's Comp, so I should be fine for another month while I find something else, and sell everything I own! LOL Heck, I might even get a couple of roommates. At least I'd have someone to take care of the animals if I went on a trip. It gets sort of lonely here by myself sometimes. I'm a survivor. I made a vow to myself a long time ago, after being raised in an abusive family, marrying an abusive man, and having relationships with several verbally if not physically abusive men, that I would just REFUSE THE ABUSE, as Oprah says. I should start a website named that, for all people like me who are tired of being treated like crap.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh dear, Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear this, I know you enjoyed that job and were good at it. Sigh.

If the entire staff has been let go, and it included college students and not just retirement aged people, it's going to be darned hard to prove age discrimination. On the other hand, you are a member of a "protected class", so if there is any evidence at all.....

Annie

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry - having been laid off myself, I understand how you feel.

Age discrimination is easy to hide, but if they had an issue with your age, why would they have promoted you to manager last spring? Also, the fact that they fired everyone, not just you, makes me think age wasn't the root cause. However, were the other employers older as well? That would make a big difference. If you're all older and the company replaces you all with younger employee, that would make me suspicious.

Sue

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks...Employee ages... 70, 66, 56 and me. I had one college girl last summer that I think was planning on returning, she was 20.
    I'm having lunch next week with the gal that is 56. She just retired a year ago from a major company where she was the head of HR. She still does some consulting on the side. She laughed....she worked for me from last summer on. She felt nobody would work as hard, give up all the summer weekends and do as good a job. Maybe it's just my pride that is hurt. I really expected to be appreciated for stepping up to the plate.

Nancy

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Nancy, I have visited your store many times, and I can tell the world that I have nver seen anybody as good with the customers, and as great at promoting the product as you are. I remember telling you once that you ran circles around then the previous manager. And I know that last summer was one of the worst weather-wise in a long time. I think, looking at the ages of the people working for you, that you should consider the fact that age may have played a role. I am sick and tired of seeing age discrimination, and would love to see them get their butts busted if that is what it is about. Maybe you should consider fighting it. My SIL, who is great at what she does, and runs circles around the younger, prettier, slimmer ladies in her office, fought that she was being discriminated because of her weight. She won. Just something to think about.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Nancy, that's really just awful and I'm sorry it happened to you. Perhaps because they fired everyone, it means they will try to hire others who will work for less money.

You just never know what is going on behind the scenes. I just hate corporate America. Everything is about squeezing out profits and the people are overlooked. I'm also concerned about being laid off due to the poor economic conditions. I'm about the same age as you and I know it will be very hard for me to find another position. There are just so many people out there looking.

Good luck and in the meantime enjoy your free time.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Nancy, given the ages of all the employees and the fact that the numbers for such things as total profit were average in a very, very bad year speaks volumes. The economy was bad, the weather was bad, and a lot of people weren't taking vacations to expensive tourists area or spending money on gourmet food products, no matter how good the product it. The fact that your profit margin was pretty much average with other years is kind of amazing, given the circumstances.

Now, since you were all of the age where you were in a "protected class" I think if there is any other evidence at all (i.e. they hire a bunch of much younger replacements, etc.) then you have a viable complaint...

Annie

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

Nancy, This rots! I'm so sorry to hear this because I know how much you enjoyed your job. I'm hoping you will enjoy your time off...I know Roxie will!

Now, I need to see some pictures of that kitchen!

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry Nancy. They are nuts to have let every one go under the circumstances you describe. I'm not sure if I think it could be age discrimination, you won't know until you see who they hire, but in general hiring people for retail isn't easy. The pay is rarely high, turnaround with younger staff can be rapid and there are always the issues of trust, commitment and reliability. I think you were very successful with your year end results with all you had to cope with.

I'm wishing all the best for you,

Lee

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Aw, Nancy, I'm sorry to hear this. You seemed to really enjoy that job.

FWIW, I agree with Annie for the most part.

I also have a theory about some of the insane things companies are doing right now. I think there are many companies who are scrambling to make sense of an economy that no longer follows "the rules". It's as if they feel they need to justify what's going on by finding someone to blame -- and they certainly aren't going to blame themselves, so, by thier biased POV, it has to be the workers. It couldn't possibly be the unusually brutal weather, the economy, the fact that high unemployment means people restrict their purchases. Nope, can't be any of that because there's nothing they can do to "fix" those things, and they have to feel like they are "fixing" something.

Which is a long way of saying "Try not to take it personally."

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Oh, Nancy....I am so sorry! I know you loved your job, and that's not something a lot of people can say these days!

I think their reasoning is a bit skewed, myself, especially in this economy. I would certainly stay on top of what happens with the store when they begin the new season.

Well, as long as you don't have to depend on the paycheck, you can at least enjoy your remodel. Good luck if you decide to look for another job, it is really slim pickin's right now.

Linda

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Oh Nancy! I am so sorry you are going through this! I cant really add much to what has been said... I am just so very sorry :-(

Alexa

• spacific
    14 years ago

Nancy,
    I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. (P.S. I'm sure I've been to your store when I've visited family in MI!) I've had 2 friends in the past 18 months (both in sales-oriented positions) who were fired for "performance" reasons. In one case, both age and sex discrimination came into play and my friend had serious and clear documentation (durogatory emails, financial statements that proved she was the top sales performer, stellar performance reviews, etc.). She sued, and after many, many very stressful months (you have to really keep rehashing what you'd rather move on from), she settled. The other friend, though in a similar situation, had no obvious hard evidence. There was no real way for her to pursue a lawsuit. She chose to move on. In both cases, the women were experienced professionals who brought in much more money than they cost the company, but the companies filled their positions with lower paid, younger males.

My friend that sued said the worst part of the process, was how ugly it got. In an effort to try to prove their case, the company owners did everything they could to destroy her reputation among her former co-workers as well as in her industry.

I don't want to unnecessarily discourage you, but in these economic times, with so many who've lost their jobs for so many reasons, I think it will be very hard to make a case of age discrimination.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

CARP Nancy! I often think about my visit to your store (Sherry, we did go to that one right?) and how pleasant it was. You are one knowledgable and talented professional and I hope it works out for you one way or another.

I and 2200 colleagues at my office got laid off (by who the media calls Obama's favorite banker). How well I know the some of the feelings you are experiencing.

Hugs to you,
    Cathy

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Nancy, how awful to be let go when you are doing such a good job. If you live where I think you do, it is among the nicest and most desirable places to spend a summer. My first thought was that someone in the company has a friend or family member who thinks it is a very lovely place too, and needs summer work. It will be interesting to see what happened to the store and sales with a new staff. They are very definitely the loosers.

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

I know how shocking it can be Nancy. After the dust settles you may find it a blessing in disquise. I never would have had the courage to change up what I do for a living if I didn't have some major life catastrophes which made me sit back and re-evaluate what my priorities were. You are a wonderful, talented lady who can do whatever she wants to do. And whatever you decide I know you will be successful at it. Stay strong and believe in yourself.

Duane

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Nancy, I'm very sorry. I know that you really liked your job and the product that you sold. They probably figure they will save a little by hiring new staff and paying them less.

I was never in the store you worked in but I was in the one in Petoskey and the one in Harbor Springs on more than one occasion.

Ann

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

Nancy,
    I am so sorry that you lost your job. I am employed with my county's Sheriff's office as a school crossing guard. I am one of the younger ladies since I am only 53, the others are all older than I am . My supervisor is in his 70's but doesn't look like it. Try looking into getting a job like mine. I work for an hour and 20 minutes in the morning from 6:55 -8:15 am and then in after noon I work for about 55 minutes 2:25 -3:10 pm, The rest of the day is mine to do anything I want to. I do not drive to my crossing , I walk across my back yard and about 20 feet down the fence line is my crossing area. My uniform is furnished by the office so I do not have to buy it.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Nancy I'm so sorry to hear the news and can't imagine how badly you must feel, when you know you were doing a good job and loved what you were doing.

I'm sure the business will suffer without your experience and that of your co-workers. I know how difficult it is to find reliable staff. They have surely lost out by letting you go.

I hope you'll be able to enjoy some free down time and then find another good position.

SharonCb

• lindac
    14 years ago

You mean they fired you and your staff.....and are going to hire some other people to run that store? I thought they closed the store from the first post!

If you bring an age discrimination suit and you win a...or they hire you back as the announcement that you will be doing that....would you accept the job again?
    No...I didn't think so!
    So now you need to find another store in the area and bust your buns to bring in the traffic.....how about the new store that you mentioned as a competitor??
    Linda C

• jessyf
    14 years ago

(((hugs)))

• triciae
    14 years ago

Nancy, I'm so sorry to read this news. I also knew you really enjoyed your job & the schedule worked well. I also feel badly for your staff.

Are you positive the corporation is restaffing? Is it possible your location has been targeted for closure entirely?

If management fires you for what they refer to as "cause" (no matter that it's NOT true!) they may get away without providing a severance package. Make sure they've followed the personal manual to the letter with a paper trail consisting of written warnings, performance reviews, etc. documentating that "cause". At many companies today the HR director is being told to reduce staff without layoffs that require severance benefits. People are really not considered as humans - just FTEs...just another corporate asset to be shuffled around at management's whim.

No doubt about it - it s@cks!

July '09, DH tried to use the family leave law to take care of me after my accident & stroke. There's a little clause in that law that says if an employee is considered critical to the financial strength of the company that employee may be refused leave & fired. That's exactly what they did to DH. DH was furious but because he was near retirement & knew he had protected status due to his age he negotiated a favorable severance package by casually mentioning an age discrimmination suit. After several weeks of haggling back/forth with their attorney & ours DH signed the severance agreement foregoing his right to suit. We seriously considered suing; but knowing it would take years & not wanting to have it a main focus in our lives combined with my health problems decided it was in our best interest to just get on with our lives. DH felt panic at first & spent about 3 weeks networking that resulted in a couple job offers...one in Boulder & another in Philly. I flat refused to go to Boulder (I hated CO)...told DH he would have to commute. I agreed to the Philly move provided we didn't sell our Mystic home. We were all set to move, leased a downtown high-rise apartment in one of the luxury buildings with a 24-hour doorman, concierge service, private entrance into Starbucks & boutiques, etc. to entice me to move. Then reality hit. One night, DH looked at me over dinner & said, "Hon, this is insanity. We're two years from retirement. What are we doing? Neither of us wants to relocate. You're not healthy enough to even consider this move. We're not going. As of this minute, I'm officially retired!" It was a bit scary at first but is proving every day to be the right decision. DH is puttering as a consultant with a CT law firm & he was here when I really needed him. We're planning a long cross-country trip for later this year & adapting well to the idea of retirement. What I'm trying to say is that, sometimes, life follows unexpected paths & they aren't necessarily bad...just different & it takes us awhile to adjust. We thought we had our retirement all planned & darn it(!) the timing was 2 years short. We are now retired 8 months & even though there's no gold watch we are very happy, our kids & grandkids are happy & we've learned, hopefully, a lesson about planning. Stay flexible.

It will take a bit of time to work through your feelings about losing this job because you so enjoyed the position. Once you go through all of the emotions though you may very well discover, as we have, that what we thought was a loss was in reality a gain. I hope so.

We've lost some shops here in Mystic also due to the economy. Fewer tourists. Fewer boaters. Fewer casino hoppers. Fewer leaf peepers. More daytrippers & fewer week long vacationers. I don't think it's over. We expect this summer to be really tough. Thank goodness we have the submarine base, USCG Academy, & Pfizer in Groton or Mystic would really be suffering.

Keep your spirits up & give me a call, if you'd like.

/tricia

• compumom
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry, that stinks! My only experience with them was to one of the company stores in Saugatuck with the Canny Camp Crew. I did buy a few items that were delicious, but I was struck by the poor sales job of their salesperson. I might have been willing to try & buy many more items and ship them home, but she was unenthusiastic and dull so I bought my few items and left.

>>

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

"Employee ages... 70, 66, 56 and me"

I think you should talk to a lawyer. If everyone working there was over 50, and you all got laid off--I think something's smelly. An initial consultation shouldn't cost you anything, and if everyone fired agrees, you might have a class action suit.

You could wait to see if the new hires are significantly younger, but I'd want to see what protection would be available under the law.

• diana55
    14 years ago

Sad.....really Sad......but let me tell you.....I would rather deal with someone older.....than younger....just one reason I don't like shopping at the Malls. If you are lucky enough to find someone to help you, try to get your question answered. No experience is the problem !!! Sad just Sad !!! Diana55

• trixietx
    14 years ago

Nancy, I am sorry. I hope you find what Duane said is true and that it will be a blessing in disguise. This economy is awful and can only hope and pray it will get better.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Nancy, I sure wish we lived closer. I think right about now we two would be having a few cocktails!

Linda

• chancesmom
    14 years ago

Nancy, just adding my voice to those who are very sorry to read of this. This type of treatment can be very demoralizing, but it sounds like you know you are a good manager and a hard worker. And it sounds like you are starting to see the glass half full rather than all empty!

Good luck to you when you start job searching again.

janet

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The comments you have all made really help. I value the experience you all have. I had debated whether to say anything at all, I'm glad I did.

I'll keep an eye on what goes on at the store for sure, who they hire,ages, improvements etc.. I had already made a list of goals and needed building improvements for 2010. I kept it to myself, no way was I going to give it to him. If it does turns out looking like age discrimination, I doubt I would pursue anything, but I have 180 days from the date of being fired to decide on that.

An interesting side note, the head of HR, who also is the head of customer service has told me twice that she really wants me to come back into the main office this fall to work the busy season in customer service. I just looked at her and said, "the man just fired me, why would I want to help the company out in any way?". She understood but tried to convince me that I would be helping her, not him. I just laughed and told her not to count on it. I'm still laughing.

I'm not going to dwell on this whole episode. I have a feeling that the company is hurting and there's more painful cuts coming. This location just might end up being closed for good at the end of 2010. He did say that if this summer turns out as bad as last summer, that he would have no choice but to close it.

Beenthere_dunthat nailed it.. he has to think he is 'fixing' something.

Doucanoe, I wish we lived closer too! I'd take you up on those cocktails!

Annie, watch out! I may head you way soon.

Cotehele, yes, this is a wonderful place to live. I'm lucky! I hope anyone who is planning a trip up here let's me know so we can get together.

Dukerdawg, I have a plan! The shock has worn off.

I have always planned on pursuing art. I'm setting up an area for my oil painting. I will see how I like what I paint, haven't painted much in the last few years and am anxious to get back into it. I can see myself out on the deck this summer or upstairs in my special place. The beauty that surrounds me is very inspiring.
    If all goes well, I will either get involved with and existing gallery or think about opening one myself. Just have to have enough new paintings to pull it off. This area is known for the studio's and galleries. Now, I have time to go for it! Kim is very supportive of this idea and would love to see me do it.

Can't answer everyone but thanks. You have helped more than you know.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Nancy, I know there is still more healing but I'm glad to hear that you are sounding better about the situation. And to already have something to focus on is terrific. Do I remember correctly that we saw evidence (picture on the forum) of your artistic abilities?

Cathy

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Nancy, I don't have time right now to read all the responses to your post, but I want to tell you how sorry I am that this happened. It's aggravating, hurtful, frustrating, and oh, I can't think of all the adjectives that are appropriate, but I think many of us have been fired before. It's not fun, but all you can do is pick yourself up, dust off, and move on. It's not a reflection of you, but the idiots that only look at numbers and not what's really happening, sort of like firing a coach that loses the super bowl. Take care - I'll be thinking of you.

Sally

• susie_que
    14 years ago

Well d@mn...I am so sorry Nancy.

(((HUGZ)))

Susie

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Nancy, come on down anytime, you know that my door is always open. And Ashley and Elery would both love to see you and Kim again too!

Heck, you finish your kitchen remodel and I'll have to get you to help me when Elery and I build at the farm. You know I lack any decorator gene, but you're wonderful.

Between you and Ashley, my place could be very fashionable, LOL, as long as I keep the horses out of the kitchen. (grin)

Annie

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy, I don't remember if I may have posted a picture of one of my paintings in the past. I know I did one from a picture that Canerybird posted at one time (with her permission). My tastes have changed over the years and I am into a more contemporary look but with some realistic thrown in. I've been watching over on the Home Dec forum and plan to consider the current home dec colors as I paint. I've painted quite a few paintings in my head already. It doesn't hurt that I'm redecorating my home in a more contemporary style.

Nancy

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I want to add my voice to the condolences Wiz! I was fired once, and it was from a job right down the coast from you, so I can relate. Before I got fired, I thought people only got fired if they were incompetent, insubordinate, or because of malfeasance. Now I know that people get fired for any old whim of a reason, even though their boss will never say, "I fired her because I figured I could save some money by hiring someone new at 1/4 the salary" or "her style just didn't gell with mine (cause I'm a jerk)" or "better her than me gets the ax" or whatever. Of course they will never say something like that, and if you sue, they will drag your name and money through the mud like nobody's business, and there's no garuntee you will win just because what they did was unjust. Better to count your blessings and move on. I have a lot of water under the bridge from my firing, at the time I was devastated, but now looking back on it the only regret I have is that I ever wasted my time working there in the first place. I am SO THANKFUL not to be associated with those people any more. It was such a great blessing to be released from their bad karma. I too had a plan, went back to grad school, and only good things happened to me professionally afterwards, I grew and grew in ways I would never have done without having to put "Plan B" into effect. Two years after being fired I was at a staff rally for the school district I was working for, surrouned by caring, professional, DIVERSE people, and I thought "Thank you G-d I was delivered from those horrible people who fired me, I am so glad that I didn't fit in there!! What a horror it would have been to have actually fit in. These are my people, thank G-d!"

And I bet the same thing will happen for you if you just let go of the initial shock and disappointment. In fact I KNOW that it will be for the best. Those people are idiots, (well actually I have another word but I won't go there). Good bye and good riddance! On to MUCH BETTER things.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I don't think I can add anything meaningful to what the others have said here. I just wanted to tell you I am terribly sorry you lost your job. That has to be a really difficult thing to go through in more ways than one.

Beverly

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I am very sorry to hear this. In the best-of-all-possible worlds you'll either discover you enjoy being free or you'll go to work for the competitor and blow your old company out of the water.

I was really interested in this Newsweek article about all the reasons why mass layoffs are a bad idea. Obviously your company didn't read it. They may discover replacing all the staff at your previous shop (if that's what they actually do) is akin to economic hari-kari.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: The Case Against Layoffs

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I was just watching a Dilbert cartoon comedy show tonight where the joke was that the boss fired all his employees to avoid getting fired himself. ha ha. And having re-read where you used to work part time for the company, and then you switched to full time, I would suspect that is part of it. Did you get health insurance as part of your benefits? One easy thing you can do is apply for unemployment. Yes they could challenge it, but I dare them to . . . And no way in heck would I ever go back working for them unless I was desperate.
    Anyway, best to focus on your new life and not dwell on jerkiness. But for me it just hits home the message for you Nancy, Goodbye and good riddance, on to better things!

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your luck. We just don't have many decent employers here in Michigan. I still read the Detroit newspaper(s?) fairly regular and it seems what employers are not going to jail are just getting out. Our politicians have special luxury jail cells for their stays behind bars. Aunt Jenny spent the stimulus money on payroll last year rather then stimulating anything.... be somebody else's problem I guess. Hey!... that must mean we finally get to be a "somebody"! We have arrived.

I know... sick sense of humor. Hang in there my friend.

: )
    lyra

• catlover
    14 years ago

Nancy,

I can't really write what I want to say. I fear it will sound trite.

Don't know about age discrimination and will not comment other than litigation is hell . . .

Being laid off . . I was laid off last May and rehired by same company (boss gone) this January. I am a very different person.

My company was hurting pretty badly and we were laying off folks. I reported to the CEO and lived in fear and was, of course, laid off.

I now know if the same thing happens, I will be fine. Took me a while to tell folks what happened. I busted my bunns . . . and assumed no one would ever consider firing me. But, as you say, it happened.

I am living a great gift - they realized it was a mistake. However, I will never be as afraid again and I actually think I am a better person because of it.

All that being said, it hurts like hell. BTW - 60 is young. Think that way and follow lindac's advice.

(Hugs)

Adele

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I've been busy with business and family issues so I'm just now hearing about this Nancy.

HELLO! I don't anyone in sales or retail who hasn't had a slump in sales the last year or more. Good for you for maintaing the same profit ratio even with the slower sales. That speaks volumes to me as a sales manager. Something is so wrong with their decision IMHO!

(((hugs))) to you my friend! I'm looking forward to hearing about or seeing some of your art work though. Too cool!

David

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

Nancy, I don't have any great advice but just read your post and wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and I'm sending strength and positive vibes your way... ((()))

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really do appreciate the warmth generated on this forum. It really does make me feel better.

I had lunch today with one of my former employee's. She has a whole theory on this episode. In short, making a place for the girlfriend of the owners son to work... only time will tell. I was supposed to go back to work March 29, to have the store ready to open by Easter this year.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I've adjusted my head and am looking forward to a great summer... that's if I ever get the spring cleaning done!

Nancy

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Nepotism. That's what I figured. I understand how many people say you wouldn't want to go back anyway, so why make a stink...BUT, I am tired of people getting treated this way, especially people our age, Nancy. it just makes me fighting mad.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Nancy, I'm just now reading about this and am sorry it happened to you. By now you know it isn't personal (even if it feels like it) and I'm encouraged to hear it sounds like you're now in a good planning phase. ((Hugs)) to you my friend! It may sound weird, but I try to look at things like this as opportunities, for whatever they bring. It sounds like you already have a good handle on that. I'll be very interested to hear about what's come to you in its place, when more is revealed. Be sure to keep us posted...I believe you're going to have much more to tell us!

• User
    14 years ago

Oh Nancy I am just reading this now. What a bummer. I know how much you enjoyed the job and also know what a fabulous manager you are. Don't over think it it , it will just make you unhappy and we haven't any time for that in our lives.

Knockers up sweetie.........

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

I'm with Linda C. Go to work for the competitor and let this company know what it's like to REALLY have their sales down. Wouldn't that be such sweet revenge!

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Well, I guess I need to remember there is more to the CF than just the main part, and keep coming to conversations more!

I'm so sorry, Nancy. I know where DH and I will NOT be shopping if we get back up your way this summer! Even if the product was delicious! I am glad to hear you have some great plans in the works, tho.

Tami

• sands99
    14 years ago

What a Bummer Nancy! Looks like you're working through it really well though so I say go with chase...

"Knockers up Sweetie"

preferably in the pool ;-)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!