SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
archnista

final pics- travertine masterbath!!!!!!!!!!

archnista
13 years ago

Hello, I recently posted a contemporary bathroom reno I designed for a friend and got a lot of feedback from you guys...THANKS. One thing I didnt realize was that there is alot of people that prefer transitional and traditional design over very modern. So here is another bathroom I designed for a client, but more traditional and I'd like the same feedback as well.

Please keep in mind these pics are before the homeowner added accessories such as towels, rugs, and window treatments to the bathroom, so I'd like your commits to reflect that.

There were a few parameters that I was given;

Homeowner wanted monochromatic color scheme

Homeowner wanted to decorate with a large area rug in the room that would not be covered much

Homeowner wanted steam shower for two

So, considering these parameters, what do you guys think?

I will post details below. TIA

{{gwi:1480657}}

{{gwi:1480658}}

{{gwi:1480659}}

{{gwi:1480660}}

{{gwi:1480661}}

{{gwi:1480662}}

{{gwi:1480663}}

{{gwi:1480664}}

Comments (42)

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Details:

Cabinetry: Omega Cabinetry in Alma Cognac finish
    Tile: 12x24 Travertine Tile; 2x2 Travertine Mosaic
    Faucets: Nantucket by Graff
    Sinks: Kohler's Leighton Undermount
    Tub: Kohler's Revival
    Lighting: Uttermost Company
    Countertops: Crema Marfil with Ogee edge
    Mirrors: Uttermost Company
    Shower glass: Custom framless steam shower enclosure in ORB finish

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

Fantastic bath -- beautiful!

I hope my master comes out similarly wonderful.

The only question I have -- the blinds are, well, a little down scale looking. Wood blinds or plantation shutters, I would think would be even nicer.

Its a small thing -- otherwise really great.

• Related Discussions

finally...our completed masterbath! many pics

Q

Comments (64)
    Thanks for your kind comments! Trish... I am so sorry that Sandy affected you and your home in such a major way. I hope that things are going as smoothly as possible as you try to put things back together. To deal with all of that with a busy two year old must be especially challenging. I absolutely love my tile and its warm somewhat rustic appearance so I'm glad that you like it too. I did some checking for you and have some info which I hope will be helpful. I sourced my tile from my local Virginia Tile store in Michigan. They would ship to NY but that would be hugely expensive, of course. I googled Edimax distributors in NY and came up with a couple who told me that they don't carry Material Forte and Westchester Tile in Scarsdale which told me that the Materia Forte was being discontinued(!) I quickly called my Virginia Tile rep who had not heard anything about that and was still expecting shipments within the next month. Checking further, I found the AllStone Boston Design Center that carries Edimax tile. The good news is they ship from a warehouse in New Jersey so that might be reasonable to consider. I spoke with Lauren Maggio who was very helpful and suggested that you contact her (lauren@allstone.net) with details about the sizes and quantity that you'd be interested in and that she could order a tile sample for you. Their phone number is 617-737-2200. Depending on the size tiles that you're considering, I wouldn't be too hesitant to order tile in this way. We found that, by doing the usual mixing of boxes, we were happy with all of the large tiles and how they blended together. The 4 x 4's were a different story however because they had much more variation in tones and because they were a tumbled tile with uneven edges... some of them were very, very uneven. We ordered way more than we needed and picked out the best ones to use. I hope that helps... please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to answer. I'd love to hear what you decide to do and look forward to seeing pictures of your room.
    ...See More

Finally! A Decent Vanity Reveal Pic 1 of 2

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks Nancy! The colors were inspired by the Caribbean sea and beaches we've been lucky enough to be able to cruise to. If you're referring to picture # 2 in this thread, it's just a closeup of the sink. The vanity area is all we've done so far. I've been whining about this last room (house is 33 years old) being stuck in the early 80. So he finally agreed to do it in stages as we bought the material and paid for each stage. Well the most expensive part has been done. And he will do most of the other work (entire bathroom gut) but nothing more will be done until hunting season is over. I MIGHT get the light fixture and mirror before the end of the year (g) Here's the light fixture we're using. You can't see the drawer pulls but they have Texas stars on them. Found a light with the same. pbase. I've been with them for probably 14 years. I never got a renewal notice last fall. Then early 2014 they said my acct would be removed if I didn't renew. I had been considering letting it go anyway so I looked for a way to easily download all my pictures. There isn't one. They used to offer a tool but not anymore :o I'm not going to the trouble to download all those pictures one by one when I'm sure I have 99% of them anyway. They still haven't removed my pictures!
    ...See More

Final Pool Pic

Q

Comments (4)
    @andi_k We’re building a pool in Ashburn this Feb/Mar and thinking about having a Paradise slide installed as part of the project. After having it for 6+ years, are you still happy with the slide? Would you have done anything different in regards to the slide? Just trying to decide if the spend is worth it, once the novelty of the slide wears off for our boys. Thanks in advance for your inputs and thoughts. Love the whole project btw.
    ...See More

Help me decide on color of travertine base molding - PICS

Q

Comments (9)
    Of the two, I guess I would go with the lighter, as it connectes well with the paint color and will feel like a trim color would in any room. If you go with the lighter one, you might also go that color with the narrow 1/2 round on the top and bottom of the decorative trim area, as you mentioned. That would give another link with the lighter base. FWIW, I would skip the accent tiles on the floor. I think they add some interest on the trim in the shower, but I think they will be too much everywhere on the floor.
    ...See More
  • wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

This is not at all my style for bathrooms, but given what the owner wanted, I think it's beautiful. I actually think it's more cohesive than the other bathroom you posted, which is more my style.

It's a very soothing space that is warm but not overdone. I don't see anything I'd change.

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you...

Again, this is before any window treatments were chosen, which I am not involved in, and while I appreciate all comments, I'd rather they not include issues with window treaments, blinds, rugs, towels....etc (or lack thereof). These pics were taken before any of that stuff was chosen by the homeowner.

BTW...the blinds were original and will be replaced with some other window treatment

Thanks again!

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Is that entire shower in travertine? I wonder how much upkeep that will be for the owners.

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

I love travertine and most of the elements you used. The one thing that stood out that I found obtrusive was the ORB fixtures on the tub. That's way too much (for me). Also, for me, it would be hard to access the tub and just generally in the way.
    Is the sink cutout scalloped? That's the first time I've seen that :)
    Monica

• User
    13 years ago

I think it's a gorgeous bathroom- but now that Monica mentioned access to the tub, I gotta agree. That looks quite awkward..but then again I am not too graceful:)-- I know lots of people don't use the tubs (I am a tub person so I take this to heart) so maybe it really doesn't matter.
    Other than that it is gorgeous. Totally gorgeous.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The workmanship looks good and given the parameters (travertine, travertine, travertine) it came out quite well.
    If this were 10 or even 5 years ago, it would be much more stunning. Sadly, I see so many just like this almost daily (am a real estate agent) that this kind of bathroom has lost its wow factor for me. I have a feeling that this expensive bathroom will look dated before you know it.

I think there are too many black/heavy fixtures for someone who wanted monochromatic scheme. If it is supposed to be a soothing, calming, look (monochromatic), I think the ORB is a little jarring.

I know I sound cranky, but just am weary of travertine all over the place. I could also gladly see the light cabs with glazed look go.....

• pbishop
    13 years ago

Very nice

What are the paints that you used on wall and trim ?

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

It is a lovely bathroom, and I agree with most of what has already been said. The owners must be thrilled.

I don't necessarily dislike the ORB fixtures and lighting, but the lighting seems quite large for a small space. There certainly is alot of lighting with all those cans, too. Pictures can be deceiving. Tub seems a little crowded. I'm trying to picture myself crawling into the tub with such a small access area, and the fixtures are all in front. I like the vanity configuration with 8 drawers. Lot of good bathroom storage.

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for them feedback and constructive criticism relating to the question at hand.

Pbishop, Im sorry, but the homeowner chose the paint colors and I can't directly remember the name, but I will post if I do.

As far as the tub fixtures, I agree with there being too many pieces, I tend to favor one spot and handle. I also agree, that you must take your time get into the bath tub. Having said that, it was more important to me that client didnt have to reach over and access the handles and risk falling in (if we put the spout and handles on the other side). With this being the same layout as the original bathroom and not having the extra budget to rearrange the space, I had to deal with this corner tub, which I particularly hate and never do.

Yes, the entire shower is travertine. I cant seem to figure out why people get there undies into a bunch when it comes to natural tile....you only have to seal it twice a year...what are you using in the shower that sits long enough to stain the tile....dont you clean the bathroom? I have Calcatta marble in my entire shower for years and I have had no issues....and I clean myself!

dianalo, yes you do seem quite cranky. I am asking for feedback of the design. And, while I appreciate personal opinions, I didnt ask you for such negative criticism based solely on what YOU deem to be outdated becuase you see it everyday as a real estate agent(I think you were the same person that got upset when I said in another post that I didnt like the look of having a black frig, white dishwasher, even though the original poster actually asked our onpinions on what we thought about mixing colors of appliances). So what you posted is beyond what I asked for.

Except the part of why the ORB fixtures were used if the space was supposed to be monochromatic...that I can answer. I believe we discussed using BN, but the homeowner's good friend is also a designer and insisted on using the ORB. I have to admit than when she suggested it, I hated the idea even after everything was ordered. But after it was installed, I actually like it becuase it does provide a contrast to all the cream, in what would otherwise be one, big cream room, but then again, I like contrasting....

Thanks again to everyone who posted....I've taken note of your feedback and will try and implement these things if I decide to continue with design work.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

You know, I had no clue you were the same person who dished out the comments on the kitchen thread, but it seems funny now that you mention it. You specifically made fun of someone else's choices (mine) in the post immediately prior to yours, yet not so close that you did not read it first, and said my choices were "tacky". You gave your opinion about not having matchy matchy appliances. Your comment was not about layout or function and was strictly an opinion.

If you read my solicited critique here, you will see that I did not disparage the travertine, but that I said it was becoming a cliche and esp when paired with the light cabs with brown glaze. I made it a point to say it used to wow me before I had seen so many of the same combination. It seems like every builder or flipper feels obligated to use that look and many homeowners go that route as well. Just like a great song can be ruined by being overplayed, my comments were to point out that maybe someone spending that kind of money might want something less trendy and likely to look dated in the near future.

If you take criticism so defensively, then maybe you should not ask for it. In my defense of my prior response to you, I did not get snippy and tried to make light of being called tacky. I also had not asked for your opinion and had responded to the o.p's question about whether she had to have every appliance be the same color. I told her to follow her own sense of style and not worry about copying what everyone else was doing. Maybe you should consider that yourself. (remember when I said I'd let you know if I am pissed off?, well that last comment I just made is your clue).

• dianalo
    13 years ago

When referring to appliance choice, your opinion was that appliances HAD to match or that would be "tacky", and mine was that they didn't (in case that was not clear above).
    I think you had more people slam you on my behalf than any actual slamming by me other than my cracking wise about how I must be tacky.
    BTW - your critique scarred me so much, that I did not even realize who you were a week or so later. I guess you keep notes and score, lol.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i agree that the placement of the tub fixtures is terrible...if the tub could not be plumbed for the fixtures to be to the side, i think a different tub should have been selected!
    the placement of the towel rings also would bother me...takes away from the sconces...i would have encouraged them to just have a towel neatly folded on the counter or only have hung one ring on the side wall of the one sink to the left of the tub.
    otherwise, beautiful!

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I think that if you post your work/design for criticism you need to brace yourself. There is no perfect design and everyone's eye is different. Most posters here are not professional designers so they are not going to jury your work as such. Opinions will be interspersed into their reviews whether they are wanted or not. As a designer, you simply need to toughen up and not be so defensive when YOU ask for your design to be publicly scrutinized.

That said, the bathroom is beautiful. To me, the ORB is one of the highlights of the room because it breaks up a sea of beige. If there was another color added in towels, drapes, etc it would better transition the lighter colors with the ORB.

However, as I said previously, that bathroom is a high maintenance room. And, I don't clean my own bathrooms either. Sealing twice a year? All that stone? Ugh...no way at my age. But if they can afford that bathroom, I would assume someone will do it for them. I considered stone for my bathroom and then remembered that some gorgeous porcelain mimics stone so well with a fraction of the upkeep. I'm not going to get younger.

You are obviously talented but if you are going to stay in this business and post your work for the world (or at least the gardenweb world), you need to be more professional in how you respond to criticism.

• sevrm
    13 years ago

I think that it looks very nice. My only comment is regarding the configuration of the vanities. When I ordered my new vanity, I had the option of the false panel under the sink, or having the cabinet doors go all the way up to the counter top. I chose the latter and am very happy with the look, but even more so with the ease of access to the space underneath. I suggest that others consider this option when configuring their vanities.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

I don't mind the ORB. Matter of fact it's necessary to me to break up the owner spec'd monochromatic look of the room.

The tub fixtures, yeah, a bit too crowded. I understand, I understand...but it's too crowded.

Tub apron...I would have preferred a bowed apron front. Bowed so the edges of the apron meet the corners of the cabinetry on each side, with the "bow" somewhat following the curve of the tub rim.

It would have been easy to build and tile, and with the curve of the front apron following the curve of the tub rim, it would have softened the unnatural angularity of the apron. Not trying to hit you hard over the head with that, but it's what my eye sees for that tub. The room flows nicely, the tub rim is nicely curved, then I see the tub apron corners jutting out.

The tub is jetted. Is there and access panel to the motor?

For that type of cabinet draw/door detail I'd personally have preferred face frame cabinets with inset drawer and door fronts versus the overlay that you have.

I'd prefer more electrical outlets for the countertop(s).

I'd prefer the mirror to be more vertical before it scallops inwards and narrows at the top. But that's coming from a guy that's 6'4".

I like the variations in tile size and pattern in the shower, as well as the wall inset. Very nice.

The sconces, my only concern is the coloring of the sconce shade and how the light might affect skin tones and the application of makeup. But you're a lighting person so I'm sure it works out well. The strong off-coloration might just be the photograph, or the wall color throwing off the white balance of the photo.

Everything else really deals with the monochromatic color, which you said you were handcuffed on regarding them wanting a monochromatic bathroom. But I'll mention anyway for reference. I would have added splashes of brown or ORB-color elsewhere.

I'd have painted the recessed toe kick board a dark color so it'll disappear behind the false beige cabinet feet.

The shower looks quite nice, I would have considered a dark stone similar in color to the ORB fixtures for the bench seats. The goal would be to add a bit of definition and depth to a very beige shower. Part design, part safety. Again, the shower looks very nice...I'd just want a punch of contrast in there, and the bench seats could have done the trick.

I would have considered dark countertops as well. To contrast the rest of the beige, and to relate to the dark bench seats in the shower.

I would have considered having the tub deck changed to a dark slab material to match the dark countertops that I proposed, but I understand the use of the tile.

Minor quibbles, again, color was out of your control. Overall the design is lovely.

Again, I know it's not your area, but I'd recommend they paint the window trim and crown molding a chocolate brown to match the ORB fixtures. I think you mentioned the room had 10' ceilings, dark crown will pull the ceiling down a bit.

But with the limitations of "monochromatic", you hit a home run.

The shower looks lovely.

The cabinetry is nice.

Overall, very nice.

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I actually take criticsm well....see my responses to all the above, and the other bathroom and kitchen pics I posted...except the reply that I responded to (above) in a "cranky" manor.

I am not even going to respond to the negativity....sure we could go back and forth, but I couldnt care less. I obviously prefer outdated travertine bathrooms while you prefer to have a black fridge, white dishwasher, ss range (or whatever the combination is) and thats fine, we clearly have TOTALLY different taste...LOL!

Im not looking for anyone to validate me or take up for me when I post a response...Im here for constructive criticsm and if anyone can't provide that, please refrain from responding to my post. Oh and....LMFAO at the "clue"...who cares? Please do not keep posting back and forth about this, I'd rather keep to the subject at hand, THANKS!

Now, speaking of the subject at hand...

Susanelewis....Yes, the homeowner does employ a cleaning service, so cleaning the tile is not an issue.

Busy bee 3....That is another option, just having a towel folded on the counter....I think that's probably something people just have a personal thing for...Im more for having nothing on the countertops, but my DH likes to leave his towels on the counter as you suggested!

Suellen 2010....Having the just two doors under the sink cabinet is a look that I have done once or twice before, so I equally like both configurations. With this vanity set up, the panel isnt false, its a tilt out panel, where you can keep small items, such as toothbrushes, sponges, whatever you'd like. The homeowner had TONS of stuff and I tried to use every opportunity to provide her with as much places to put things as possible.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mongoct...Thats for your feedback.

Your idea of curving the tub apron sounds lovely....I usually try to stay away from corner tubs all together...they are just not my thing...but maybe curving the front wouldnt have been such a bad idea.

Yes the tub has jets, and the access panel (if I remember correctly) is cut through the side of the vanity. Once you pull the bottom two drawers out, then is a false door on the side of the vanity to access the motor, big enough for the motor to be taken out and replaced if needed, and sized according to the tubs specs.

Inset doors would have been great, but unfortunatelt not in the budget.

Thanks again!

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Where is the outlet for the steam generator? Unless I'm missing it on the right sidewall?

• busybee3
    13 years ago

if you deal with people who have lots of junk to store (like me!)...i opted to get a drawer on bottom and double door above for my vanity cabinets...no wasted space at all, and the extra drawer is SO much more useful than the little tilt-out things....

• donna murphy
    13 years ago

The shower is stunning. It will still be beautiful in 50 years. For a more monochromatic look I would paint the walls and trim to match the cabinetry. Or more of a muted white, less yellow..... I love benjamin moore's navajo white, my master bath and bedroom and all trim are in this, I love it every day.

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mongoct, yes the outlet for the steam is on the right wall, so you wont be able to see it from the angle of the picture.

Busybee3....I agree, Im a drawer person. We really the idea of the tilt out top drawer, so we kept that, but I did install a floor mounted roll out tray on the floor on the sink base cabinet (once you open the two doors).....so I couldnt agree more about the drawer space!

donnaclover, totally agree...she actually added all the crown molding after we were completely done with the rest of the bathroom.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

This is the last response because enough is enough, however, if you had read my original post here you would see I had said it was well done and my only concern was it was too popular a design right now and that it could be dated in a few years. I had complimented you, but you were too busy looking for the dark lining. I also acknowledged that it was not your choice to do it all monochromatic, just as other people said and yet you zoned in on my response and called me "cranky". My reference to being cranky was said in jest. Yours was not. There is a big difference.
    BTW - it is vintage 1940s white & chrome stove, white fridge and freezer set, black dw and ss wall oven (in a white, gray & black kitchen). Yes, many finishes and all in the same room. If I had asked for your opinion about that, you would have been obligated to share, but even then, could have been more diplomatic than saying "tacky". Since it was not my thread and I did not ask for input, calling it tacky was tacky.
    Carrying that over to here was petty. I had no clue who you were when I responded to this thread. I now know and will not respond to yours ever again. If I want a hassle, I'll go to my mother in laws house, I don't need one in my leisure/relaxation time....

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YES!!!! Thank you for doing me the honor of not responding to any of my posts! Keep it moving! Im not interested in keep going back and forth!

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

I have a bathroom like this, I LOVE my stone. I sealed it simply with a roller and paintbrush. Very easy!

I think the concept is gorgeous! I went with darker cabinets for a offset of the stone. But I can see ifyour client(Or whoever) wanted the monolook, it was accomplished. I will post pics of mine too. I sort of went with 2 colors of travertine. Here are my photos incase you want to venture out of the box on monochromatic. I don't think this is going to be out of style anytime soon, I think it is timeless.
    {{gwi:1450378}}
    {{gwi:1450375}}
    {{gwi:1480665}}

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

peytonraod, thanks! I agree, too...I dont think that just because a certain style is done repeatedly that makes it outdated...think of everyone that does white inset cabinets with carerra or calcatta marble, I certainly dont think that look is outdated, but CLASSY and TIMELESS and its been done FOR YEARS!
    Not saying that my bath is COMPLETELY classic and timeless, I just dont think its has any less wow factor than it would a few years ago..sometimes things are repeated because they work...it aint broke, dont fix it...having said that, I do agree with some of the critiques of my own personal design that could have be done better.

I remember seeing the pics of your bathroom...great job! When I saw you bathroom, I never thought of the maintenance of all your tile, but instead of how "grand" it looked, as I myself, don't shy away from alot of natural stone just because of the maintenance. With anything you love (and spend tons of money on) comes a certain level of maintenance and if you really want it, then I say go for it. I do undertstand that it is not for everyone, but I love it and so far, so have the few clients I've worked with.

I love the mosaic on your shower floor....I recently did a bathroom for a client with a grey/taupey basket weave on the entire floor and it looks spectacular...I wont post it because of the backlash I may get for doing the entire bathroom (the floor, shower floor, and two entire walls) in polished marble! But thats what he wanted, and I found a way to do it in a classy, modern way and it turned out beautiful!

Thanks again for your feedback and the posting of your pics for comparison!

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

If I ask you to post it, is that reason enough to do so? Who cares what others think or post!
    I would love to see the marble look. That must be fantastic!

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay...here's goes nothing. It is a very taste specific, he was going for a look he'd seen tile similar to this in one of the fancy hotels he frequents...I happen to LOVE IT! One of the issues we had was that the stacked washer/dryer is in a closet inside of this bathroom, and he mistakenly ordered the wrong size, so it stuck out past the door frame, hence no door could be installed.

My solution: I ordered a door and frame only from a custom cabinet company that had 2 side by side doors and had a clear opening of 36" when the doors are open so the washer/dryer stack is completely accessible. We then decided to add mirror panels in the doors, to make the small bathroom appear larger. We installed Baldwin polished nickel dummy lever handles (that matched the new handles of the gorgeous wood doors we also installed throughout the condo)on the doors...and they turned out great!

He is a light fanatic (even more than I am, and that's alot) so we lit this bathroom like a runway strip...LOL! We also underlit the wall mounted vanity. The recessed lights arent the greatest to look at, but there was so much stuff in that dropped ceiling, that we only had 3" of height to work with for the lights and those were the ONLY lights I could find that were wet location listed and were 4" or smaller (the 5" and 6" recessed lights are just outdated to me and too big for this space)and that would fit in the 3" height we had to work with.

Its a walk in shower with a ceiling mounted shower head....(can't wait to hear about how much water will get out...) but again, he's traveled Europe numerous times and loves their concepts of open showers.....yes, their is cement board AND a waterproofing membrane behind ALL the tile (not to mention this is a condo, so its concrete construction) and the toilet is caulked and grouted to the floor...

The only thing I would have changed was to not install a mirrored recessed med cabinet on the side wall, not to eliminate the storage, but there is too much mirror, with the doors being mirrored.

I thought I'd answer all the questions that ppl might post beforehand....oh and no, the marble is not slippery to walk on....!

{{gwi:1480666}}

{{gwi:1480667}}

{{gwi:1480668}}

{{gwi:1480670}}

{{gwi:1480671}}

{{gwi:1480672}}

{{gwi:1480673}}

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Wow! I love the floor and the colors go well. I think you did what the client wanted... I like the touch of the "baseboard" trim in shower pan. I love the mirrored doors. LOOKS great. YOu did a great job! THAT is a man cave...

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

I quite like this bathroom including the oil rubbed bronze fixtures. For me, they give a nice contrast to the travertine and white bathtub.

It looks like it was a tricky, odd-shaped room to work with. I like the light fixtures and the mirror. The mirror gives it a moorish look, which makes it feel a wee bit exotic.

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Yes, glad you posted it, again - love looking at bathrooms.
    To your original post, there are a few things that jumped out at me, 1, the scale of the towel rings do not seem consistent with the weight of the other ORB fixtures. 2 I know your client wanted the mono so this is a mute point but I think chocolate granite tops would have really been sharp (for next time different client). Mongo made some really good points, he has a terrific eye and has been doing this a long time. He picked up on the shape of the tub surround. Time and experience a true educator. Next, I love the fact that in this shower and the other contemporary one you flooded the room with light. Could you quickly share the formula you learned? Do you know how many fancy smancy lighting stores I went to and no one and I do mean NO one knew any kind of formula. I heard on TV that it was 50 watts for every 25 square feet. That is all I had to go by. I did ok but I used 3" cans with 50 watts and I think altho I like the look I could have squeaked a bit more light in the room maybe with a 4" can in some areas or an additional one or two cans. Beautiful patterns on the floor and shower.

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jjazzy, 50 watts per 5 sf sounds like a great start. Typically, I space 50 watt bulbs approx 30" apart, and pull them 12" to 14" from the wall perimeter. I space 20 or 25 watt bulbs 24" apart and pull them 6" to 10" from the perimeter wall. I tend to like the lights to line up, in a grid pattern, but sometimes I align them diagonally so that each beam spreads hits each other in the corners...the grid pattern only permits the beam spread to touch along the sides, resulting in not as much light flooding the area....diagonally there is a light in every area.

Pulling the lights not so far from the walls, creates that scallop effect on the walls, where the light touches the wall....which I like and dont shy away from (although, technically thats not taught or encouraged.)

It really gets technical, (which I'm sorry, I dont have my book sitting with me to really get elaborate) becuase it breaks down into wattage and beam spread, etc....

But, generally, those are the rules I follow. I also try to light areas in addition to the recessed in the ceiling...sconces on the wall at approx 65" CL AFF, or at eye level of the client....under lighting wall mounted cabinets with xenon low voltage light bars (by WAC Lighting....love them). I also stagger cabinets (in kitchens) and put up lights on the tops to produce lighting towards the ceiling).

I group lights together depending on function and install them on different dimmers....and I put everything on dimmers! This way, the client can control how much light they want at any given time. I love the Maestro dimmer series through Lutron, they are the dimmers that slowly "dim" the lights off, giving you time to exit the room before the lights turn completely off....(not shut off as soon as you hit the button).

Also, I've found that if you search online and find professional lighting designers at some of these big firms, if you email them, some are willing to give you a quick response via email...Ive dont that before, and they were quite helpful....but only ask a question or two, after wall, these people are paid by the hour!

I do want to mention, that the above is what I follow, as it does contrast to the exact "guidelines" but I find this works for me and my clients as well, and its easy to remember without having to spend hours figuring out formulas, etc. as I am not a lighting designer.

Thanks again for your responses

• kiana-2010
    13 years ago

Good choice of stone! My masterbath is made entirely of travertine and accented with marble. I have lived in my current home for 7 years. I have not had any problems with upkeep. It is as nice as it was the day it was installed. No hard upkeep. Remember travertine can be used outdoors, so it is pretty durable. Beleive it or not, mine has only been sealed once. Perhaps it's time to reseal :)

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Thanks Archnista, did you mean 50 watts per 25 sq feet or is it really 5 sq feet? Seems they would be pretty close then. Thanks for all the detail at least I have something to go by.

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Im sorry....50 watts per 25SF!

• classicalone
    13 years ago

I love both baths that you posted pictures of here. I especially love the first one.

I did travertine in my master bath, and I think it looks absolutely fantastic. The bath's been done for almost 3 years and I still feel happy every time I enter the room.

I wouldn't change a single thing about the room, and I hope the people you did that bath for feels the same way.

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Thanks,

• tateland
    13 years ago

I think it is beautiful! I love the ORB and the smaller tile on the tub surround we are in the starting phase of bath remodel what is the name of the tile you used?

beautiful job!

• archnista
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh goodness....I can't remember the name! They were made by Jeffrey Court but discontinued, I believe...let me check and get back to you. Thanks!

• blondelle
    13 years ago

That's a beautiful bath if you love all that travertine. Beautiful stone, but I would have mixed in some warm, burnished, metal accents with the tile. The only contrast is the dark wrought iron and bronze fixtures. I assume there will be a small chair where the scale is as it looks like a vanity area. I have to agree about the tub. I would have turned it around and put the controls on the opposite side. Why block access to the tub with all the controls there? Most people are right handed so it makes it harder to use too when you're in the tub as you have to twist around and reach across your body with your right hand to adjust anything.