SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkramer60

I found this a bit saddening

pkramer60
15 years ago

No death or war, but it effected me.

Apparently a local radio station opened the topic of "how long could you live on your savings if you lost your job" and we talked at work. Of seven people, only 2 could go over a year, and the rest would be out of cash by the end of the month or earlier. Literaly out, asking for money from others.

Some said they would hit up thier parents, others had no clue. Given the markets, could thier parents even help, I wondered. Where has their money gone too? We are nicley paid.(Boats, snowmobiles, ATV's, vacations, huge homes but no savings). And my biggest concern is that they have children. What the heck are they teaching them?

They buy thier breakfast, and lunch, an easy $10 at the office cafe and then dinner is take out. "but my grocery bill is only $40 a week" they cry. Heck, you shop at McDonald's and pizza joints I thought.

Yes, I was one that could last a year plus. I am not asking for your finacial status, just that you think about it. Take a look at need vs. want. You need food, but shop smart. You need housing, but how much? You need gas to get to work, but do you need it for a pleasure trip if you charge and can't pay cash for it?

I guess I am asking if anyone still saves for the unthinkable, the lost job or the really big repair that comes out of nowhere?

Comments (44)