SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Can i get a bit of feedback on a quote i received? (pics)

estreya
16 years ago

Hello, everyone! I'm just about to give a hardwood floor installer the go-ahead to put me on his May schedule. I saw three fellows, and although he didn't come in with the lowest bid, he's the one i liked the best. Since i'm hyperventilating at the thought of spending this much money on something i'm literally going to walk all over, i thought i'd post the text of his quote here just to make sure there's nothing glaringly wrong with it from the perspective of your expertise. Here's the quote:

-----------------------------------------

Here is what I have figured for your home:

1. Remove existing carpet/pad in front living room and dining room areas.

2. Remove cat-damaged baseboard molding in Living Room; repair same in Dining Room below wainscot.

3. Furnish, Paint and Install replacement molding in Living Room; fill nail holes, caulk to wall.

4. Apply shellac sealer to cat-affected areas of subfloor.

5. Prep existing hardwood floor in entry to lace-in new flooring to Living Room/Dining Room areas.

6. Furnish and install matching hardwood flooring to Living Room/Dining Room areas.

7. Furnish and install matching hardwood heat vents in both areas.

8. Furnish and install decorative hearth border to fireplace in Living Room.

9. Sand, Tint and Finish new and old hardwood floors up to the narrowest part of the floor going to the back of the house. Note: the tint will be used to approximate the color of the existing floor in the unsanded part of the floor.

10. Fill expansion gaps in floor in the back of the house, abrade, seal and coat entire floor area. This will provide a uniform sheen to the old and newly finished portions of the floor. This will also eliminate the gaps now apparent at 48" intervals throughout the floor.

11. Furnish BonaKemi cleaning kit and maintenance instructions.

12. Haul away all job-related debris.

Total Price: $6,450 Plus Tax

Terms: 50% to start; balance due net on completion

VISA/MC accepted.

Note: We have figured $250 allowance for time and materials to deal with the cat-damaged areas. If more or less is required after exposing the extent of the damage, we will recompute.

We will probably need to install a stained white oak molding at the perimeter of the new floor to eliminate gaps at the perimeter. The additional cost is $1.50 per lineal foot. You may want to consider using this throughout the house, for uniformity/consistency.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

Note that subsequent to this quote, we chatted further about the shoe molding. He said if i'd prefer it, he thinks he can undercut the current moldings for an additional $200.00 rather than use the shoe molding. He's also using 3/4" x 3" select white oak to match the rest of the floor, will use Kilz Odorless primer as the sealer, and said it would take six or seven working days from start to finish.

{{gwi:1527658}}

{{gwi:1527659}}

{{gwi:1527660}}

What do you all think?

Comments (13)