SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Can 64bit processor run in 32bit mode?

lazypup
13 years ago

I had an Emachines desktop running Windows XP which ran 24/7 non-stop for 7 years but towards the end I began having small problems with the media card reader & DVD-CD/RW and finally it developed a problem which was reported as a bad sector on the HD.

I then replaced that machine with another Emachine tower model # ET1331G-05w running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Initially I found Windows 7 to be a bit confusing, but I soon learned it was not the program, I was just approaching things in the Windows XP manner and found they were much simpler in Windows 7 however I do have one real problem.

I am an advanced amateur / semi pro photographer and I use the computer to edit & store upwards of 500 to 1000 photos a day. For the most part everything is working fine. All of my photo editing software, I.E. Photoshop element 7, Picassa, Photoscape and a half dozen others seem to work fine but the primary software that I would like to use is the proprietary "Pentax PHOTOLAB", which came packed with my Pentax DSLR. The problem I am encountering is that the PENTAX PHOTOLAB will only run in 32bit mode and they have no upgrade.

In Windows XP they had a feature where we could run older software by telling the computer to run it in a previous mode such as Windows 98.

QUESTION? can you opt to run a program in 32bit mode on a 64bit processor under Windows 7? If so, how is it done?

Comments (5)