SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hpxmirage

New Sub Zero from eBay seller?

hpxmirage
13 years ago

Have determined that a Sub-Zero 36" bottom freezer might work well in our new kitchen. Still gagging on retail price of $8K+ and the appliance store guy who says, "we all sell them for the same price, we have to."

There's a new one in factory packaging on eBay, for about $2K less. Received the following response from seller: "Hello, residential curbside shipping to [ZIP Code] will be $286.00. This item is brand new in the original factory sealed box. It comes with a full warranty from the manufacturer (which includes a 60 day cosmetic warranty) plus it is eligible for a 5 year extended warranty for $299.00."

Never having done this before, a question for the veterans here: am I nuts to even consider this, in the event of a problem with the unit once installed? Should I be concerned about finding a qualified Sub-Zero installer, other than from the local stores where I'm not interested in paying $9K with taxes? Does it just make sense to bite the bullet and buy locally, if for no other reason to avoid a possible fight with the builder who won't be responsible for appliances he doesn't have delivered to him from a local seller?

Is a new Sub-Zero like a yacht (if you're worried about what it costs, you can't afford it)? I prefer to think that rational men and women don't throw away $2K at a time, no matter how much wealth they've accumulated.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comments (6)