SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudhouse_gw

eBay seller using GW member HFGH photos, without permission

mudhouse_gw
15 years ago

Yesterday, a reader of my HFGH blog was kind enough to alert me that an eBay seller, maxhootue, was using a photo of my completed 10x12 HFGH in his eBay auctions. Without permission, hed used it in three completed 10x12 auctions, and was using it in 3 current auctions. I donÂt know maxhootue.

IÂm a registered eBay member, so I contacted maxhootue through the "Ask Seller A Question" link, and identified myself as the legal owner of the photo. I provided him a link to eBayÂs Image Theft policy (which makes it easy to report the practice) and asked him to remove my image immediately. Within 30 minutes of my email, my picture was removed.

However, instead of reverting back to the photo from the HF website, heÂs now replaced my photo with one that belongs to another GardenWeb member, in all three auctions. I quickly found the new image in Google Images, and traced it to a 2006 GardenWeb thread. IÂve sent an email to that GardenWeb member (kasie), in case their photo is also being used without their permission.

HereÂs a link to a completed auction, still showing the stolen photo from my HFGH blog:

eBay auction number 220358566649

HereÂs a link to one of his current HFGH 10x12 auctions, with the photo IÂve traced to kasie:

eBay auction number 220359491564

Yesterday, this HFGH 6x8 auction was using a photo I recognized immediately as a photo from ConiferÂs (Dax) 6x8 thread. Today maxhootue has changed it to a photo belonging to GardenWeb member megdagooch, taken from a 2007 thread. (In this case, maxhootue cropped the photo and emblazoned his name across it.) IÂve also sent an email to megdagooch through GardenWeb.

eBay auction number 220359296685

HereÂs a link to another of MaxhootueÂs current 6x8 auctions. I donÂt know who this photo belongs to. (It may even belong to one of MaxhootueÂs customers, who has provided permission, but why am I pessimistic?)

eBay auction number 220359296486

For future reference, after the above auctions end, a quick way to check the photos in maxhootueÂs current HFGH auctions is to use this link to go to his eBay store, and do a search for greenhouse.

maxhootueÂs eBay store

Maxhootue has sold Harbor Freight greenhouses on eBay for years. I know nothing about his connection with Harbor Freight. In the past, IÂve only seen the photo from the HF website in his auctions, but in late January, it looks like he switched to using other peopleÂs photos (including mine.)

So, a heads-up to folks with photos of Harbor Freight greenhouses on the internet. This seller certainly used my image without permission, so IÂm concerned he is doing the same to others. I personally find the practice objectionable, and consider it theft of intellectual property. If maxhootue uses one of your photos without permission, you can either contact him directly, as I did, or (probably better) report him to eBay here:

eBayÂs Image Theft Policy

Maxhootue should consider the legal, responsible, and simple practice of contacting some of his own greenhouse customers, and asking them to send photos to use in his auctions.

Sheri

Comments (12)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012