SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Epsilon Email address and names stolen - widespread

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

I saw one thread about hijacked emails mentioned this - but I thought this is a widespread and serious enough issue that it should have it's own thread.

Here's what I know - and I'm hoping others can chime in.

Epsilon's databanks was breached - email addresses and names were taken. Many, Many companies use Epsilon to handle their email business (I believe that's what the company does). So far, I have received notice from about 6 companies that my email address and name were taken. The companies I heard from were Tivo (kudos to them for being the first that notified me), Capital One (not notified until today - one week late), Target and others.

We are advised not to click on links in emails - some are exploiting a vulnerability in adobe flash (very important to update your programs - esp. adobe flash at this time). We are also warned that this could be information that is used months or years from now - when people have forgotten to be cautious. The bad guys have our info - and they will be holding on to it and using it. Don't stop being careful.

Here is a good article on this breach (used the tiny url link I got here):

http://tinyurl.com/3f4t5qg

What I don't know is if we should take action - other than being careful about clicking links in email. It says that just email addresses and our names were taken. What can the thieves do with this information? Is it possible that other information was taken as well?

This seemed serious enough for us to discuss it here. I am also quite disappointed in the companies that were effected but did not contact me - or waited one week to do so. Seems inexcusably lacks about the security of our information.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (8)