SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

MS .NET framework assistant

biwako_of_abi
14 years ago

I was asked to update this add-on, which I didn't even know I had, and when I searched here to find out about it, tried the link to Annoyances.org.

Before meddling with the registry, I tried uninstalling the add-on from FireFox "Add-ons". The uninstall button was not grayed-out, but when I restarted FF as recommended, the add-on was still there in the list, though I repeated my actions three times. Grrrr.

Now I have just tried the suggestions for its manual removal given at Annoyances.org, but when I got as far as step 6, I found that "general.useragent.extra.microsoftdotnet" was not in the list. Is it OK to assume that this is because my removing the registry value (20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b) from Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions had already deleted that add-on from my computer?

The bottom line is, can I now leave things as they are, or will not being able to complete the steps listed at Annoyances after my messing with the registry have bad consequences? I did, of course, make a back-up of the registry and also created a sys. restore point before doing any of this, so I can get back to where I was. But I want this intruder out of my computer, if possible.

I am really, really angry that Microsoft can and does sneakily install FF add-ons without our knowledge or consent.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert