SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Questions from the hood-impaired (Vent-a-Hood, etc.)

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

Hi all,

The only hood I have experience with is the kind that goes under the microwave. This is new territory for me.

We are restoring our 1929 kitchen (similar to jgarner's lovely kitchen). We have a great vintage stove, which is 39" wide. I had initially looked at the 36" Excalibur. But after reading here, I see most folks have a hood that is wider than the range. The next size up is 42" (I doubt I can afford a custom size--don't know how much that would cost). I don't really have the space for 42" on the sides, but I can do it if I have to. Is going wider than the range strongly recommended? I'm so used to having the whole (plaster) wall behind the stove spattered in grease that 36" would be such a dramatic improvement.

The excalibur is the only hood I have seen with the right vintage look for my kitchen (well, except Modern Aire, but that is out of my price range). Are there any others I should look at?

Finally, can the vent go out the back of the hood? In all the pictures I have seen, there is either the VAH vent pipe cover above the official hood, or, as jgarner did in her kitchen, the pipe is covered by a dry wall type box. We could just go directly into the wall behind the hood, eliminating the need to go vertical. But will the hood accommodate this? Or do we have to go up to the ceiling?

Thanks so very much for your help!

Francy

Comments (3)