SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

another vote..hood vent,otr mw-pics and questions

13 years ago

Ok...seems I have a few in favor so far of getting rid of the OTR MW. Hadn't considered it previously since it is for a 2nd home-by the beach and doing a kitchen remodel on a budget..But want to look at all my options before making a final decision.

If you can help by either voting and /or answering any of these questions as I think this through now that we nailed down the prep sink! thx!!!

Keep in mind how we will be using the place:

-2nd home by the beach-mostly summers

-mostly cook outside on the grill

-range is a basic 5 burner gas (propane) with 5K,9K10k,15k and 17K burners

-no high temp wok type cooking expected, primarily boiling pasta, corn, pancakes, maybe fish if don't grill it due to weather , etc...

-either the MW or the hood we purchase would definitely be low cost range (no $1000 hoods here)

-MW not used often (popcorn, reheat coffee, leftovers etc)

Seems we would be "ok" with 300 cfm (based on what I read that you need 1cfm/100 btus) and I would maybe use 2 burners at a time.

A MW we were considering had 180/300 cfm settings. $250

An inexpensive SS vent hood from ikea has up to 400 cfm setting. $400

Would consider a vent liner as suggested previously from lowes fro ~$350 but then you still have the added cost of the hood. My DH may be able to build one.. but more research needed!

So Pros/Cons -based on some things I collected on GW...

Pros for venthood-

-appearance

-safer than MW in face

-better traffic flow -noone reaching for MW while you are cooking

-better fan

-can buy cheaper/smaller MW

-can eliminate cost of at least 1 cabinet (above the MW), maybe more

-maybe move oven over (if we remove the side cabinets) and gain a larger cabinet between oven and fridge) Possibly add shelves to the right as well.

Cons

Cost - could we seriously accomplish this for only $300 more or so than the OTR MW? Or are there hidden costs re. electrical , extra parts/ duct etc?

-lose cabinet above and maybe the side cabinets? (this could be a problem)

-need new spot for MW -maybe on hutch but a little far?

-just not familiar in general with vent hoods-more work required to research it!

-will an inexpensive 400 cfm ikea one cut it? keep in mind our cooking style (above)

-more than we really need?

So here they are again:

#1) OTR MW with cabinets

#2) side cabinets

3) no cabinets

or 4) hood liner +build own hood (if possible at low cost)

Comments (5)