SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

How's your weather?

stacy3
15 years ago

We have had a crazy winter so far...Yes, it's Western NY, and we are notorious for this, but we haven't seen snow like this in awhile. I am far enough South of Buffalo that we often miss the lake effect snow but this year, we seem to be getting hit with it at every opportunity!

We have well over a foot on the ground, and the winter storm moving through from the West is expected to drop 10+ MORE inches on top of that!

We'll be doing our running to the stores early today, and it might be kind of fun - but Scott has to drive to the airport in Buffalo tomorrow, so hope it's OK for him.

We're in kind of a strange location here (the weather forecast shows snow snow and more snow) - so I was just wondering what it's like where you are...(doesn't look like I'll be going anywhere soon, so I'll take your word for it...)

Comments (65)

• momof2doxies
    15 years ago

We have had very little snow so far this winter. It has been replaced with ice. We are on our 5th ice storm in 4 weeks. And I thought it was ridiculous that my DH insisted on having a generator installed last fall. I just hate it when he is right.

Linda

• triciae
    15 years ago

Our winter storm warning has been cancelled. Now, it's just a winter advisory for 3-4" of snow & then some freezing rain (up to just 1/4" of ice). Even 3-4" is more snow than I'd like. Snow doesn't look good at the shore. It belongs inland or in the mountains!

/tricia

• Related Discussions

How's your weather tonight?!

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm with Natal, a little too warm and humid here in OK. Went to bed last night snuggled with my blankies, woke up at 5am kicking them off because a huge wave of humidity came through where it looked like it rained! Highs today 75, cold front later with highs in the 50s tomorrow. Two weeks ago we had a blizzard with minus -10, a week later it was 80. I don't want a blizzard, but by golly I want it cold enough to build a fire!
    ...See More

Ughhhh....this HUMIDITY/ 'How's your weather'!?!

Q

Comments (22)
    A big storm blew thru our area, the meteorologists called it a "derecho". Blew down 3 trees, which squashed our camper, kayaks. One big tree broke the tops out of 4 other trees as it fell, smashed up our roof, siding and came to rest on our deck. It broke rafters and the deck railing and supports, warped everything and slightly pulled the deck away from the house. No power or water for 4 days. 100+ temperatures. It has been kind of exciting around here. On the bright side, we were not home when the trees actually fell, so it didn't scare us. And everything is insured, so no troubles there. The only thing not insured was our small sailboat and the trunk of the tree missed it by 4 " ! No damage at all. Power and water restored this morning, not looking forward to dumping contents of refrig, though! My husband and daughter baked me a birthday pineapple upside down cake with a cast iron Dutch oven and charcoal briquettes ; ) Neighbors and community all pulled together, out cutting up trees to open up roads and helping to clear up damage. Sharing ice and gasoline. Checking on each other. The way people are supposed to behave. ; ) Feling very grateful.
    ...See More

how's your weather

Q

Comments (21)
    I went to an outdoor party today, I was glad that the rain held up until the end of the party. It was nice & warm and a bit humid. A cold front is due to arrive tonight and will chase this nice weather away. Temperature is expecting to drop 30 degrees or more for the next few days. Could have a freeze too. I will be hybernating... :]
    ...See More

How's your Weather???

Q

Comments (35)
    Thanks! It only goes from green to that then I'm left with a stick. Usually this tree is the first to become bare, and I don't think it's leaves have ever looked that nice. Usually it begins to drop in late August and is all patchy. I blame my neighbours 20 foot columnar aspens.... The gardens full of weeds and has lots of patches of nothing... Was going to redo this year but obviously didn't. Oh well doesn't matter, won't be able to see it soon!
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    15 years ago

Just a dusting here too, it is such a disappointment! The kids have not been able to go sledding for 2 years now and were really hoping we would get several inches. No such luck :-(

WAH WAH WAH :-(

I wanna move back up to Main/NH where they take winter seriously!

Alexa

• annie1992
    15 years ago

We got 54 inches of snow in the month of December, a record even for here. Since then we got a rain that melted some and then we got more. We were supposed to get another 6 inches last night but it seems to have missed us.

I don't mind the snow at all, but it's supposed to be below zero most of next week. That's too cold, I don't like that.

Annie

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

What Sherry and Linda and Annie have. Poor dog went out and was neck deep and trying to lift his leg high enough and almost fell over!

Cathy, Shaun and Jessy, you are all evil.

Karen, bet your cold front is still going to be warmer then ours. Next Friday will have a high of 6 and low of -12. And more snow. And I have to go out for a board meeting that night.

I am so tired of shoveling and wearing layers and 3 hour commutes to go 15 miles.........(Sorry Alexa)

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Just when I bought all new nice sweaters, we are facing this for the week:

Torrance Beach Cam

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I would love to see snow! I am going to the cabin in Blue Ridge Tuesday. There is suppose to be a little snow.

Funny, we took DD to the mountains to see snow. We found a little--like a small snowman size pile on the side of the road. There were 4 cars parked around it. ALL 4 cars had Florida plates, we laughed at each other.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Here in MN we have more snow than we have had in a decade of winters. I don't mind the snow so much (except immediately after it has fallen and all the idiots are out driving in it like a bunch of crazies...)

But we have not had a single day in the last 6 weeks that it has not dropped below zero for at least some portion of the day/night. It's 10F above right now and that's a heat wave for this month so far! LOL

Too freakin' cold for these old bones.

Linda

• lindac
    15 years ago

Cathy....come here...I will clean the guest room..I'll cook I will make bread....I will feed you Iowa Chops....and I will let you shovel my drive and slide down the hill in my yard....I have a toboggon....needs waxing though!
    My neighbor, who is up for sainthood, shoveled me out.....Chabby now has a spot to pee.....
    I'm going to a friend's for dinner tonignt....wonderful not to be snowed in!!
    yeah....we had more snow than all areas within 50 miles.....think that cloud was stuck over my house!!
    Linda C....thinking spring!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Linda, Don't tempt me as that sounds like a great opportunity! That's is wonderful to have someone shovel you out. What do you do with the snow that you shovel?

Cathy

• trudy_gw
    15 years ago

Same weather as Lindac only a couple of inches less.

Linda...saw that cloud over your house on the radar.
    Thought it would never leave.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Typical for Louisiana in that we're up and down and all over the map in one day.

This morning it was the high 70's and we were hot in tshirts when we rode the horses.

Then we had a whooper of a rainstorm (several inches) and the temperature is starting to drop. As riverrat said (she's a couple of hours west) it's supposed to be a cold damp mess tomorrow, probably down in the 30's.

Grace

• dlynn2
    15 years ago

It's been nice and sunny here since about Christmas. Highs are even getting up to low 70s and the kids are wearing shorts to school. About 30-40 miles due west of me in Rocky Mountain National Park, they've had several feet of snow. We have a chance of light snow or flurries one night next week, but other than that I think it is supposed to continue with mild weather down here and snow in the mountains.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

We've been having some rain and cloudy weather.
    Temps here are around 18 to 20C which is 64.4 to 68F.
    We call that 'freezing cold' here and are such wimps when it's under 22C (71.6F).LOL.

But in the south of this island you can see by the webcam it's warmer than where we are.

SharonCb

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Oh man! If it got up to 30F I would break out my shorts and a tube top! LOL

Glad you finally got shoveled out, Linda.

Linda

• lindac
    15 years ago

And we had another inch last night.....
    Cathy asked what we do with the snow that's shoveled.....mostly pile it up at the sides of the drive way!!
    But in town here....it becomes a problem. When we get 8 inches or so, the day after they plow the streets which have head inparking and make a mound of the snow in the middle of the street....so the day after a storm there is this big mountain down the center of the street. Then at night they come with dump trucks, load it up and cart it to ac entral spot....which becomes an ugly junk pike as the snow melta and various bits of trash get exposed.
    Some cities pile the snow in the river....some in a lake, but if there is neither where you are, a nearby ravine works.
    I remember one year when the snow piles where the drive meets the street were so high you couldn't reach to get another shovelful on top.
    Sometimes there are flowers blooming before those huge snow piles melt.
    And someyears there is so much snow that polar bears come south and are seen in Minnesota....and penguins are often seen in lakes and streams...
    Isn't that so Linda Canoe..?

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

Lindac, thoser ploar bears and penguins have been known to make it all the way over to Michigan. Almost hit a penguin on the highway last night.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

Hot hot hot. Been over 40C every day for about the last two weeks.

• shaun
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood today -

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

shaun, That's what I'm going to do in a few minutes-as soon as I get the chicken feet broth going.

Is this tape worm kitty? I saw the picture of the actual tape worm eeeuuuuwwww.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LindaC, my neighbor finally took pity on me and came to snowblow my driveway, the piles of snow were so high I couldn't throw any more up there! Here the road commission moves snow with front loaders, they pile it up on an empty lot outside of town. Snow mountains up there right now, but the kids are having a ball sliding down them.

Linda, I'd break out the shorts at 30F too, LOL, anything above single digits would be pretty good.....

Annie

• brenda55
    15 years ago

I am still getting green bell peppers from my garden. Temp range is wide though Low 80's to 40's; but mostly around mid to high 60's. No rain, drought like and I have to water today1

I would love to have some of your snow, but don't think as much as some of you are getting.

• shellm
    15 years ago

We are at 42 degrees here in central ms.Like Karen and Grace said,its that bone chilling cold.Way too cold for this calif girl.

Shelley

• Lars
    15 years ago

I have the same weather as Gina - it's supposed to be 82° at the beach today and only 80° in the valleys. Last week was cold with highs in the low 60s, and so I had to wear thermal underwear.

Lars

• shaun
    15 years ago

Yup that's Tape Worm Kitty. He should be better by now; they all had to get treated. Gosh how disgusting huh?

I almost put the a/c on today; it got up to 77 inside the house and I usually have our thermostat set at 73 or 74. But there was a breeze so that helped. Now the suns down and it's cooling off again.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

drizzly foggy...wet..and very gray!!!

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

UMMMMMM....42 degrees is "bone chilling"? (Guffaw)

You girls have not had your bones properly chilled! LOL

42 degrees is damn near sandals weather here! Or maybe a light sweater and capris....

Ah....but it's all what we're used to I guess, isn't it? Too funny.

Linda

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Colleen, funny to think you're in the middle of summer there on the other side of the earth. I could SO use a warm getaway.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Cathy, just come here and you will see snow, all 12+ inches of it. Guest room is ready for you, then you can head to Linda.

This being Chicago, the lawn furniture has come out to mark off your parking spot, as well as traffic cones. To date we have had 38 inches, the yearly average, and more is on the way.

Shaun, cute kitty! I hope they are all feeling ok now and the cure wasn't too bad. BTDT with the dogs. Not fun to pill a cat either.

Linda, I know that you mean not to be snowbound. What a thrill to open my garage door and see that the man behind me plowed the ally and my garage apron. I was prepared to get stuck on backing out.

Tomorrow is another 4 inches.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Peppi, Thanks for the invitation. Raymond had been pointing out the weather reports for Chicago. Sorry that you have to deal with that just to get to work.

I'm headed for the mountains Tuesday. Burrrr, it's suppose to be 30's at night there.

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

We not only have another 4" coming, but now they temp is going to drop to minus 0 windchill and the wind is to pick up to blizzard conditions tonight and tomorrow. This foot of snow we got over the weekend is very light and dry, so wind will just sock the roads closed big time. sigh. Cathy, since you're going to the mountains, can I borrow your house...for 3 months?
    Sherry

• lindac
    15 years ago

And that stuff that Peppi talked about is dumping on me.....then the winds pick up this afternoon and we have a blizzard...
    headin' at ya Peppi! Look for it!
    Linda C

• dlynn2
    15 years ago

Well, yesterday the kids had on shorts and t-shirts. They put on jeans to go to dinner (it gets cooler after dark). We went to bed and heard the wind howling overnight. We woke up this morning to about 1-4 inches of snow on the ground,depending on what part of town you were in! The sun is out now and it is already melting. The saying here is "If you don't like our weather, wait 5 minutes." (even the weathermen say it on the news). That is certainly true this week.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Linda, stay indoors! We are going to get another 5 inches of snow, then we have the blizzard watch after midnight.

I don't think we have ever had blizzard watchs/warnings in Chicago before.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

dlynn, I just looked on your member page to see where you're from, because I was thinking that sure sounds like Colorado. My son went to Boulder and I went to visit once in October and there was a blizzard. All I could think was "get me home to the beautiful fall weather". In a few days he called to say he was back in shorts.

Another time I watched a Buffs game on tv and I thought everyone there would die of the cold, wind and snow. Within a week -- back into shorts.

When I skied there, the coldest part of the trip was getting off the plane in Philadelphia. There's something about the dampness in the air here that makes the cold cut right through you. CO is cold but dry -- hence the nice powder skiing!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Peppi, we got 4 inches last night, another 5 or 6 inches today, then the wind is coming. We'll have blowing, drifting, blizzard conditions. Our lows are below zero all week but it's going to warm up into the teens by this weekend!

Heck, you and Linda and I are all going to have to visit Cathy and Shaun. (grin) We'll take Sherry and Nancy along if we can get them plowed out before July.....

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

still foggy, such heavy fog that the trees are "dripping"...gray...damp..cool...

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

I'm about 300 miles south of Terri and it's sunny and about 52F here.
    Feels like spring!

Deanna

• stacy3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, count me in, too. Will and I were salivating over photos of green grass and swimming pools earlier...

i have run the snow blower more than EVER - we have over 65 inches this year so far - I just read in the paper today. It would be so fun if the temps were not supposed to dip so badly. We're single digits during the day coming up, and well into the negatives during the night...and that's not wind chills. ugh.

This much snow and we should be able to PLAY! We're half an hour from some beautiful ski slopes!

We're supposed to get those high winds and another 4 or so inches tonight and tomorrow...and Scott is flying in and driving home.

Stacy

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

COLD!!!!!!!!!!

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Well, we only got a dusting of snow here last night, but its a balmy -24F! I think it's so cold the snowflakes don't even want to come here!

(A good day to keep the brass monkeys inside, if ya know what I mean! LOL)

• khandi
    15 years ago

Cold here! -24F here too with -40F for rest of the week. MIL came back from a month in Florida for this! LOL

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Thanks folks for sending the cold weather down to us! I just turned off the AC 'cause it's going down to the mid-30's tomorrow. Wahoo! I am going to go find a sweat shirt and some long pants.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Thanks for the cold air !!! Yipppppppppeeeeeee Skippy! It's getting cold!!

• stacy3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you're welcome Shaun. and you wouldn't have gotten it if we all didn't have SO much to spare!

The snow just settled down again - Scott is just arriving home from the Buffalo Airport - thank goodness..he's just pulling in the driveway...tough drive through all this.

Stacy

• daylilydayzed
    15 years ago

Right now it is raining here in Lakeland , has been since 2pm. We need the rain though . But the temperature is falling as the rain is ending. It has fallen 16 degrees in 3 hours and will be down near freezing in some of the northern counties. We will get down in the low 50's or 40's in the morning.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Snowing again....2 inches so far in the past 2 hours....winds are to pick up....temp to drop to minus 20....with windchills at minus 40.
    It wouldn't be so bad, but we had 6 weeks of winter before winter came!!!

• User
    15 years ago

Looks like much of the US and Canada are in a deep freeze. We are finally getting seasonal weather with temperatures in the high 30's at night and mid to high 40's during the day. I think we might break into the 50's by tomorrow. Still lots of snow on the ground.

Ann

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Yes, Ann, we ARE in a deep freeze. The tank heater is just keeping the water for the animals clear, just barely. the animals actually went into the barn. I keep the door open and just let them go in as they like, they seldom go inside. Cope will stand out in a blizzard and let the snow pile up on his back and seems to love it.

However, it's 3 below right now, going to get down to 20 below tonight I guess. Back up to near 30 by Sunday or Monday.

Annie