SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

need opinions/ideas for future plans

blackcats13
15 years ago

Current situation:

Old house, 2 stories plus kinda finished basement that will be gutted. 1st floor has guest bedroom plus a small full bathroom, shower/tub combo: www.flickr.com/photos/21596582@N00/2661353946/

Second floor will have 3 small bedrooms. There is currently 1 "full" bathroom. It has a toilet, pedestal sink and clawfoot tub with some weird shower mod. It's under the sloping roofline, so not usable as a full shower for anyone taller then oh, 5'2 maybe? I'm 5'4, the tub is to the right and the toilet is to the left, my back is up against the wall: www.flickr.com/photos/21596582@N00/2660558207/

Thoughts for future bathrooms:

Upstairs:

We were thinking of that (upstairs) being the 'kids' bath. We were also thinking of switching the location of tub and toilet for more standing room in shower, but that might be too costly. And I'd wanted a double sink. We'd planned to move the wall I'm standing against back a couple feet (and move door location). But that doesn't really gain us since the plumbing is all on the other side, so what's the point? Maybe we leave it as just a tub w/out a shower?

The room upstairs on the other side of the sink wall will be our master bedroom (it's a kitchen right now). IF we can remove all or most of the wall to the add-on, we would like to have some type of master bath back to back with the other bath. Add-on wall w/door and window: www.flickr.com/photos/21596582@N00/2661388638/ But the room is small, so there isn't a whole lot of space. Additionally, most houses in our area have 1 or 2 bathrooms. What about just having a shower and sink bathroom? Would that be too weird? Really I just want my own shower.

For the downstairs bath I just thought of today removing the old tub and vinyl surround (which are both disgusting) and having just a shower, since the tub is upstairs and do I need 2 tubs? Why not have another closet? Old houses are a bit short on those...

Lastly, apparently there used to be a bathroom in the basement. Now it's just a very small room with some plumbing in it. A shower would be nice in the basement in the summer so I don't melt while drying my hair, but again, then we have way more bathrooms then is regular for our area. If we did this it would be way on the bottom of the to-do list.

Now, we aren't planning to move for 5 - 10 years, maybe more. So, resale is down on the list of considerations, but it's still there. I know this was a bit of a convoluted explanation, but care to give an opinion of what we could do?

Comment