SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arisonn_gw

Opinions on a plan please and ideas on cost to build...

arisonn
13 years ago

After years of thinking about building it appears that we can finally start the process. Unfortunately it's suddenly feeling very overwhelming and sometimes I feel like chucking the whole thing except for the fact that we already own the land.

Anyway, our budget is very tight and we cannot go above 250k for everything excluding the land although we plan to pay 10k closing costs out of pocket. I would like to proceed soon rather than spend more time saving because I'd like to take advantage of the current low interest rates and also because our current house isn't working very well for us.

We're in south western PA, a family of 5 with two boys ages 1 and 3 and a 13 year old stepdaughter who goes back and forth to her mother's house. We would like no formal living or dining room, a 2 story or vaulted great room, an office on the first floor, a 3 car garage, a mudroom and an upstairs laundry. Full basements are standard around here. We like craftsman's style but we're not purists.

To be as efficient as possible given those parameters, I have been looking for a plan that has a compact footprint and except for the great room uses all the space over the foundation for 2nd floor including over the garage. That means an upstairs master and it also makes fitting a 4th bedroom upstairs difficult. Our intention with a 3 bedroom would be to have the boys share a room.

Anyway, I found this plan which seems to meet our requirements and I thought I'd run it by you all to get some feedback and to see if there's anything you see that I'm not seeing.

So here's the plan. It's by Alan Mascord Assoc:

http://www.houseplans.com/2164-square-feet-3-bedroom-2.5-bathroom-European-House-Plans-3-garage-(10739)

I would like to change the downstairs laundry to a mudroom and see if we could fit the laundry in the "attic storage" upstairs. Plus we'd like to change the facade to look more "craftsman."

Another idea would be to make a few changes upstairs and put a facade like this on the house:

http://www.houseplans.com/2465-square-feet-3-bedroom-2.5-bathroom-Traditional-House-Plans-2-garage-(28697)

One of the benefits of that would be that it would allow for the front bedroom to be larger which is a bonus for two kids sharing the room.

So I'm looking for general feedback on the plan and also opinions on whether this plan looks relatively expensive to build or more economical (given that I understand that 2 story great rooms waste usable space - husband is very attached to this design feature).

Also I'd like opinions on whether building it with the second facade would cost about the same, more or less.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

Comment (1)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus