SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seattlemike

Seeking network improvement recommendations

seattlemike
15 years ago

While talking to a Dell tech about fixing my Dell laptop recently, he suggested I get a USB network adapter for my Dell desktop pc (Dimension 3000; XP; now 3.5 years old). The desktop is now wired to a QWEST DSL modem (GT701).

Let me try to outline how I got to the current scenario.

1. Purchased the desktop in late 2005. Had only dial-up back then. Printer wired to the desktop.

2. Upgraded to QWEST DSL a couple of years ago when it became available.

3. Purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop (Vista)in August 2008, primarily for use upstairs in our home. Also got a TrendNet TEW-633 GR router. Laptop worked fine upstairs until recent problem; itÂs now back at Dell for repairs.

4. Even before the recent laptop problem, I suspect that my network was not optimally set up. The printer is still wired to the desktop. Since the Dell tech had me wire up the laptop when troubleshooting recently, some of the connections have changed and the pc is now wired directly to the modem. If I remember correctly, the router was wired to the modem; the pc was wired to the router; the printer was wired to the pc. When I get the laptop back and go to reestablish the network, I'd like to make sure I do it properly and optimally.

5. I would like to have the capability to print from my laptop if itÂs at all possible. Current printer is a Brother HL-5140 laser.

Here are some questions:

1. Should I get a USB wireless network adapter for the desktop pc? How will that improve things? If I do, should I also get a TrendNet adapter with capabilities similar to the TrendNet router (n; dual band)?

2. How should all the components be connected? What connects to what? The modem and router sit on top of the pc case and the printer is 3 ft. away, everything on a large desk downstairs. I donÂt envision having to move anything. For example, I donÂt need to move the printer to another more central location.

Suggestions/recommendations? TIA!

Comments (10)