SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Seeking advice: how do you NOT sweat the small stuff?

This post is in regard to our DIY (mostly) total kitchen gut/remodel--we don't have much DIY experience but a friend has been helping a lot.

I think I'm being too nitpicky, but I don't know how to stop (well, maybe with a lot of counseling and behavior modification). Every time I think I have "perspective" and am seeing the "big picture" I find something new to nitpick. I realize we live in a "starter home" and that the remodel is a huge improvement over what was here before (small 30-year old falling apart kitchen with insufficient storage), but it's like I keep seeing the flaws and/or mistakes. And if friend/DH choose to do something differently than I read is recommended (from what I've read on the forums), I worry.

Our friend, overall, has done a good job and has had some great ideas. He is pleasant to work with and works really hard, he also keeps the area pretty tidied up and, without his help, we'd be in WAY over our heads.

So, how do I focus on the good stuff and not worry about some of the more "questionable" practices? I mean, I know how to do it in theory but how do I actually DO it? DH keeps telling me if I expected professional work we should have hired professionals, but that was pretty much out of our budget and I guess I chose updated kitchen, even if not perfect, over waiting another 5-10 years (we are paying our friend for his time, at about the same rate as when he subs for a contractor he knows). How have others handled these issues?

Comments (17)