SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nole95

Replace one tile in shower may lead to bigger problem?

nole95
15 years ago

Hi, I'm a new poster! We recently bought our home, built in 1971. It has a master bath that has obviously been done recently. It has a tiled shower.

It doesn't appear that the tile was applied correctly. The floor doesn't drain well (puddles in places), and the individual tiles are not lined up well.

One right next to the drain cracked - it had been off-kilter, and putting weight on it must have pushed it down. We pulled it up and I'm not sure I like what I see.

It looks like there was a lot of material in between the shower pan (which has holes in it?) and the tile - almost a half an inch thick. It was all wet under the cracked tile and the gray stuff was crumbling and wet-sandy.

I've got so many questions - why are there holes in the pan? Why is there so much material between the tile and the pan?

And most importantly: what will happen if I put 1/2" of whatever adhesive I'm supposed to use down, slap a tile on it and grout and seal the whole thing?

Any advice would be vastly appreciated - I am terrified of doing a half-ass job and causing more trouble in the end.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm