SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aaron_hurst

Water leak - Self fix - BIGGER PROBLEMS

Aaron Hurst
7 years ago

Hi all,

First post and I need some help and guidance please.

One week ago I noticed the tile around my toilet was cracked and there appeared to be mold on the drywall above the base board. I pushed against the dry wall and my finger went straight through it. Upon investigation there was a water leak from the line going to the toilet.

I decided to fix it myself as I did not think it would take much more than fixing the leak, replacing some drywall, and replacing a tile or two. After getting down closer to the problem I could see that the sub floor was wet and that water appeared to have made its way underneath our fiberglass tub (directly beside the toilet). I ripped out the toilet, tub, and tile in the bathroom to see the extent of the damage. The night after the demo, the PVC cap I had put over the water line for the tub split and water poured into the bathroom. For hours, not sure how many, but hours of water gushed into the bathroom and under the house.

After fixing the water line burst, I called my insurance agent the next morning and told him what had happened. He said that he would only pay for a water treatment company to come and remove any moisture from the areas in the bathroom and from under the house but no more. He recommended I put fans on the area and get under the house and remove moisture.

After doing as he recommended I continued my demo today and my water problem is much worse than I thought. As I was trying to pull up the sub floor my pry bar went straight through to the underneath of the house. The entire area around my toilet is rotten and still saturated with water.

Now to my question, should I be able to get insurance to pay to fix it or will I be out of pocket?

Comments (9)