SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Back to square one with this computer

debo_2006
12 years ago

Some of you might remember last summer when my computer kept rebooting itself (usually when it's sitting idle) and it freezes up too. I ended up reinstalling the OS and all my programs, etc. Everything was fine until this past Friday.

I haven't installed anything new in terms of programs, ran Malware and Super Antispyware and Norton's which I've been using forever, all check out fine. Did that the other day when my computer started acting up again the same as before. I tried to restore the computer to 3 different restore points all of which were unsuccessful. The computer is back to its old habits of rebooting all day long and freezing up. It's a Gateway with Vista that is 4.5 years old. I keep it cleaned up and as fresh as possible. I use this computer to run a full-time business. I keep minimal in the startup.

So, is it time for a new one? I run Quickbooks, Photoshop, MS Office Pro which are the big programs. Computer has 3.0 of Ram and 1.73G processor. My C drive indicates 209GB free of 298. Not sure what else you need to know.

The last crash said this:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 77

BCP1: C0000056

BCP2: C0000056

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 0347F000

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031212-02.dmp

C:\Users\DK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-603926-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\DK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7001.tmp.version.txt

Thanks,

Deb

Comments (41)

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maybe you can look in event errors & reliability logs to get a hint at the cause or at least know what to start to fix.

Right click desktop computer icon, select manage.
    Once its open, click the arrow next to 'Reliability & performqance. Is where I would be headed to.

You should see Monitoring tools... I would want to look at Reliability Monitor before I did much. Click on each of the red x & yellow triagles .. look down below where you clicked & you see the problems listed for each of those redX / yellows. perhaps you will see a pattern to whats causing your crashes.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mikie. Interesting enough, I did not see any red x & yellow triangles within the reliability screen. I see the resource monitor along with the CPU, disk, network, memory status's. When I click on the gray arrow to open each one, there's plenty of info but no red or yellow markings.

• Related Discussions

Hey everybody , back to square one!!!

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm going to say in advance that I haven't read through all your posts. But, I gather from the first one that you are trying to match a porcelain tile that looks like marble with real marble. I think you should choose whatever you like, but since you asked for advice I'll throw mine in. I just wouldn't do that. I would use all real marble or only use the porcelain look alike. When we were shopping, I saw some porcelain marble look alike that looked pretty good until you put it beside real marble. In my mind, it is never going to measure up. Now if I saw a bathroom with just the porcelain in it, then I might not even realize it wasn't the real thing unless I touched it. If you really want the real marble, then I would try to find something to complement it not something that tries to mimic it. We just finished our bathroom and in the end I decided to go with real marble for the floors. I know people go on and on about the maintenance, but my feeling is that marble has been used for thousands of years in homes and outdoor locations. Also, I know I can live with minor etching and imperfection as a quality of natural stone. I know it is frustrating. We had all our tile picked out and then when we went to purchase it they were completely out of some and didn't have enough of the other. I had to start over from scratch trying to find similar tile somewhere else. In the end, I like the new tile way more than what we had originally picked out. It all worked out for the best and I think once it is all over you will feel that way as well. It is just hard not to get stressed out about it in the moment.
    ...See More

Back to square one.....again~~

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you for getting back to us on this. I'm relieved! When we built we didn't downsize, we 'upsized' slightly, if that's a word. That's because our 'starter home' of 1971 nearly became our 'retirement home'. It was a nice 2000 sq ft 1950's brick ranch on a quarter acre in a desireable suburb 15 miles north of Chicago. However the area had become more and more congested with road (and air) traffic. To our west, Glenview Naval Air Station had been decommissioned and was turning into (IMO) a nightmare of dense development. To our south, Evanston was ripping out single family homes and throwing up skyscrapers. Roads were gridlocked. Like you, we wanted to 'escape'! We moved 15 miles farther north and closer to the lake; bought another 1950's ranch on a beautiful street near town; tore it down and built a 2900 sq ft single-story-living home. We came close to remodeling but I am SO glad we did the teardown. Now we are *where* we want to be and in a tight, new house we can enjoy for some time to come. After visiting friends in our old town I breathe a sigh of relief as soon as we exit the expressway and head east to peace and quiet. I know you will enjoy the new surroundings, perhaps as much as the new house! Do check back and let us know progress. Are you considering moving before building? It sounds as though just exiting the problem town would be a relief.
    ...See More

Back to square one

Q

Comments (4)
    Good question. I am trying to make it comfortable by incorprating more traditional pieces with some modern peices. The sectional is chunky with clean, modern lines. The coffee table is a reclaimed factory cart sort of like this, but it was a flea market find. Today I was out looking at grasscloth, and I learned that I love the expensive stuff. (ha. shocker!) I am thinking it will warm up the space and not be as in-your-face traditional as the Schumacher wallpaper. I wish I had a good answer for you. If I could live anywhere, it would feel like this lobby, this lobby, or this whole hotel. (Can you tell I have love for a certain hotel chain?) rgustafs
    ...See More

Stools Arrived Damaged! - Back to Square One

Q

Comments (2)
    That's a real bummer, but everytime something like that happens to me, I end up finding a replacement that I like even better! Do you have a HomeGoods in your area? Was roaming their store the other day, and they had just put out some of the most beautiful stools, several varieties, cherry dark/light some with cushions, some without, and varying heights but they were excellent quality, fairly priced and really pretty. Same class and style as they ones you got from JCP. I was going to let you know the other day, but you had already ordered. If you do have a store in your area, maybe they have just received a shipment too and/or are expecting one.
    ...See More
  • mikie_gw
    12 years ago

Crash apparently doesnt allow time to make the error writes. Blue screen is mostly a driver file problem... or hardware failing. Sometimes a software conflict.

With Vista you usually can run the System File Checker without the need for a windows cd;
    Might Open a black cmd window by right clicking it,,choose run as Admin & then type
    SFC /SCANNOW

It will give some data on the screen when finished.. and probably tell you to look in windows/logs cbs.log for errors it cannot repair,,,, which you maybe will need to copy/paste it in a temporary locatiion to open it with a text program like notepad.

Turn on word wrap & search ... cannot repair ... or ... hash mismatch ... to find the errors if sfc finished with found errors.

You might also try running checkdisk, to fix any file system errors on the hard drive, in that same elevated cmd window. type;
    CHKDSK /F

• steve_fl
    12 years ago

Might be the power supply going bad-
    Had that happen to me also-
    The intermittent voltage was causing the problems
    Replaced the power supply and all is well.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Steve. I have it plugs into an old power strip, so I'll try plugging it into the wall outlet and see if that helps for starters. My power supply was replaced just a year ago, then I'll go from there in hopes of figuring this out before getting a new computer. Thanks.

Mikie....I didn't quite understand what you were asking me to do to find errors.

• steve_fl
    12 years ago

debi-
    Was it the power supply?

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't. This one is less than a year old. I don't seem to loose total power on this machine since it reboots itself, and I've now turned the rebooting off. The power button is always blue (which means it's getting power if that makes sense).

But, I have discovered when the computer doesn't sit idle, it's fine. I turned the hibernation/sleep options off to see if it would make a difference. Computer stayed on for hours without issue. I went out for several more hours and came back to blue screen with text so I took a pic of that. Not sure what it all means though.

So, I'm thinking it has something to do with sitting idle as I can be using it for 5 hours without incident, but when I leave it alone with no activity, it eventually crashes.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Download WhoCrashed See link below for whocrashed.
    This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

1 Put a tick in Accept then click on Next.

2 Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next

3 Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon. then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
    [*]Click Analyze
    [*]It will want to download the [b]Debugger[/b] and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it.
    Copy and paste it into your next reply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whocrashed

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Zep. Here's the results. Looks like it goes back to when it first started happening this week. I'll take a look through all the text and see if anything is consistant, though I probably won't understand it.

computer name: DK-PC
    windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz Intel586, level: 6
    2 logical processors, active mask: 3
    RAM: 3210416128 total
    VM: 2147352576, free: 1963470848

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crash Dump Analysis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 3/16/2012 4:10:28 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031612-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB3F)
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0xA39B000)
    Error: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 3/16/2012 4:10:28 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1E)
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0xA39B000)
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
    Google query: ntkrpamp.exe KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

On Thu 3/15/2012 1:43:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031512-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0x11648000)
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 3/14/2012 9:17:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031412-02.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x9D179)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC059E740, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x3DCDA8C0, 0xFFFFFFFFB3CE8FC6)
    Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
    description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 3/14/2012 5:05:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031412-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xEF223)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC0453790, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x7067F860, 0xFFFFFFFF8A6F2223)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    description: NT File System Driver
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 3/13/2012 2:50:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031312-02.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: symevent.sys (SYMEVENT+0x14A39)
    Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF880B00F8, 0xFFFFFFFF880B0244, 0xFFFFFFFF81E2BAB0)
    Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\symevent.sys
    product: SYMEVENT
    company: Symantec Corporation
    description: Symantec Event Library
    Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys (Symantec Event Library, Symantec Corporation).
    Google query: symevent.sys Symantec Corporation CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

On Tue 3/13/2012 2:02:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031312-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0x12055000)

On Tue 3/13/2012 12:27:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031212-03.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0xB3DA000)

On Mon 3/12/2012 2:31:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031212-02.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0x347F000)

On Mon 3/12/2012 1:33:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031212-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xD18B3)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC04526F0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x7FF35860, 0xFFFFFFFF8A4DE8B3)

On Sun 3/11/2012 8:17:23 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031112-06.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x77 (0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0, 0x3283000)

On Sun 3/11/2012 6:18:33 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031112-05.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: symevent.sys (SYMEVENT+0x14A39)
    Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF87FA80F8, 0xFFFFFFFF87FA8244, 0xFFFFFFFF81E3CAB0)
    Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys (Symantec Event Library, Symantec Corporation).

On Sun 3/11/2012 4:50:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031112-04.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF86C720F8, 0xFFFFFFFF86C72244, 0xFFFFFFFF81E64AB0)

On Sun 3/11/2012 3:45:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031112-03.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: symefa.sys (SYMEFA+0xA04B2)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC044F508, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x21AF9860, 0xFFFFFFFF89EA14B2)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\NIS\1207000.00D\SYMEFA.SYS
    product: EFA
    description: Symantec Extended File Attributes
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symefa.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation).
    Google query: symefa.sys Symantec Corporation KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

On Sun 3/11/2012 3:03:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031112-02.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xBA60B)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC0452640, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFF9395F860, 0xFFFFFFFF8A4C860B)

• zep516
    12 years ago

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe

This behavior occurs when drivers do not handle power state transition requests properly.

So you're right about what you said
    "But, I have discovered when the computer doesn't sit idle, it's fine. I turned the hibernation/sleep options off to see if it would make a difference. Computer stayed on for hours without issue".

But There's some more to look at too. I'll see what i can do, no guarantees an trial and error.

What is the exact name of the Anti Virus program running. I see signs of Norton.

Joe

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it's Norton Internet Security which I've used for years. Upon reviewing the data, I see Norton seems to be part of the culprit, but to what degree, I don't know or understand.

I will add that twice tonight, while sitting idle, the computer froze up and I had to do a hard restart with the power button.

I appreciate your help and "easy, specific directions".

• zep516
    12 years ago

These print outs Whocrashed just give us an idea or clue. It could be any driver causing issue. I'd love to blame it on Norton but can't just yet. I'm still thinking though we might consider uninstalling Norton for a few days, install a temporary free Anti Virus and see what happens from there. Norton Internet Security installs a lot of drivers. I think it's worth a shot to try it. Let me know what you think about that?

I'm not familiar with the exact steps to take for uninstalling Norton and keeping the subscription, so you can reinstall it in the event that Norton isn't the problem. If we do decide to try it, I can give you the Norton Uninstall tool that you will absolutely be required to use.

I would also make sure you're not using sleep or any other mode like that, I think you mentioned that you disabled them, double check it. I stopped using these modes a long time ago. When I'm done for the day I shut down!

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Norton's is due to expire in 16 days, therefore, I don't have a problem uninstalling it.

However, I'm not sure what free Internet AV to download that will run automatically so I don't get infected. Suggestions?

Also, I'd be willing to get another AV to replace Norton's if you know of a great one I can buy at the store (I use it for this laptop and an old desktop).

I'm willing to give your suggestion a try and uninstall Nortons once I install a suggested freebie.

• zep516
    12 years ago

That's great! Lets see if it works. Let me work up a post of instructions for you. We will in-stall Microsoft Security Essentials. Back soon.

Joe

• zep516
    12 years ago

Hi,

First we will download Microsoft Security Essentials from HERE
    Just to the desktop. Do not double click the file you just downloaded yet.

Next step
    Download Application remover from
    HERE
    Run the tool and use it to remove Norton Internet Security.

Once Application Remover has successfully removed Norton. Go back and double click the Microsoft Security Essentials Icon on the desktop to install it.

Like I said it's trial and error here, this may work and may not.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a fine Anti Virus and is free. I use it. It's the only one I recommend now.

Let me know when you finish that.

Joe

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

should you need it zep here is the link to app remover to get the Norton taken off.
    Using AppRemover

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

- Norton uninstalled successfully
    - Microsoft Essentials is installed, and quick scan ran successfully (should I keep it to quick scan or set it to complete scan for its daily scan?)
    - Microsoft Firewall on

Now it's wait and see. Since the crashes and freezes have been happening several times a day, I should know tomorrow if Norton was the culprit if those issues don't happen. I'm hoping it was a Norton issue since I've spent the better part of all week trying to solve these issues short of getting a new computer or having to reload the OS. Time will tell and I'll report back tomorrow.

THANK YOU so much for your help Joe and chiming in on this.

• zep516
    12 years ago

I'd set to a complete scan. And now we wait!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Now Debi has removed Norton and using MSE perhaps another Whocrashed report would be an idea? Can do no harm along with a full MSE scan as Zep suggests. I would shut the computer right down and restart before doing this. Might even run Crap Cleaner if it is installed.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Excellent idea owbist. If it crashes again post another Whocrashed log file.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update:

This morning, I ran a new Whocrashed (WC) report as Owbist suggested and it was the same as last night (computer was shut down over night). I tried running a full scan of MSE this morning and it froze later into the scan. Shut down and tried running in Safe Mode but got an error that I couldn't turn MSE on due to real-time protection; 3rd party time out period expired. Error: 0x80070564. Not sure what all that is about other than the freeze, I'm guessing.

Shut down again and rebooted normally. Ran another WC report and it didn't change. Ran a SUCCESSFUL full MSE scan which just finished up. No issues found. Goody!!

I'll be leaving my computer idle for awhile to see if it crashes, freezes or anything else happens to report.

One thing I noticed is when I try to open Photoshop CS3, it gets hung up on a certain file which I didn't write down, and freezes up. Tried yesterday to uninstall PS3, but it's still on there - go figure. I also show Norton icon on my desktop and in my Program list, though nothing happens when I click on it. I uninstalled it last night and thought the icon would go away along with it being removed from Programs.

I'll report back later with more findings and what's happening. I'll also run another crash report later and post it if anything changed on there. So far, it's the same as last night's report.

If you have anything to contribute based on this info, please let me know. Thanks again to everyone.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should mention the first MSE freeze was on an Adobe file and it believe it was the same one that PS gets hung up on when trying to open. Not sure if this could be a culprit, but thought I'd mention it, though Adobe doesn't appear in the crash reports posted.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Lets double check to see if Norton is gone,

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
    It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 5:46:32 PM, on 3/17/2012
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\Users\DK\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Users\DK\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - (18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - (53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - (602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408) - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.7.0.13\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - (72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - (B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - (7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA) - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.7.0.13\coIEPlg.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - (789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - (789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O16 - DPF: (E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7) - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O18 - Protocol: intu-help-qb5 - (867FCB77-9823-4CD6-8210-D85F968D466F) - C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2008\HelpAsyncPluggableProtocol.dll
    O18 - Protocol: qbwc - (FC598A64-626C-4447-85B8-53150405FD57) - mscoree.dll (file missing)
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - (807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - (8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030) - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
    O23 - Service: IHA_MessageCenter - Verizon - C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\Bin\Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security (NIS) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.7.0.13\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: QBCFMonitorService - Intuit - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exe
    O23 - Service: QBIDPService (QBVSS) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\DataProtect\QBIDPService.exe

--
    End of file - 6397 bytes

• zep516
    12 years ago

O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security (NIS) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.7.0.13\ccSvcHst.exe

O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - (602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408) - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.7.0.13\coIEPlg.dll

Noted: Norton files adove.

Signs of McAfee too:
    O18 - Protocol: qbwc - (FC598A64-626C-4447-85B8-53150405FD57) - mscoree.dll (file missing)

Here's a link below for the Norton Removal tool. Lets try that tool to see if it gets rid of Norton. You should be able to locate your Norton product there.

Next

Lets also try running this McAfee remover just in case there are more McAfee files that Hijackthis does not show.

1 download the utility click Here (MCPR (C) McAfee, Inc)In the box that pos up on this web page click Save File save it to the desktop.
    double-click the file MCPR.exe to run it

2 once the process of deleting McAfee products is over (the removal process may take a minute), the McAfee Cleanup window appears.

3 click Yes to reboot your computer and to finish the removal process of McAfee products

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Norton removal tool

• zep516
    12 years ago

I'd like to see all the installed programs on the machine in the programs & featured list:

Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to Open the Misc Tools section Click it at the bottom under System tools click Open Uninstall Manager over to the right click Save List Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

• owbist
    12 years ago

Don't stop doing what Zep is recommending but I am curious.

Has heat been mentioned at all in the past? I ask because your confuser froze while working in Photoshop CS3, Photoshop is a resource hog and perhaps that caused the CPU to overheat and shut the computer down. Have you looked inside or cleaned the dust bunnies in the recent past?

Removing CS3 will not help or hinder while not running so removing is not necessary.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joe, I did what you suggested though I removed McAfee, then Norton, then rebooted only once....I did not reboot after removing each one. Is that okay? Will gather the report you requested.

Owbist, I use a laptop fan platform or whatever they are called. I doubt it is from overheating though my research indicated that is a "potential" problems with crashes.

More to come.....

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Adobe AIR
    Adobe AIR
    Adobe Anchor Service CS3
    Adobe Asset Services CS3
    Adobe Bridge CS3
    Adobe Bridge Start Meeting
    Adobe Camera Raw 4.0
    Adobe CMaps
    Adobe Color - Photoshop Specific
    Adobe Color Common Settings
    Adobe Color EU Extra Settings
    Adobe Color JA Extra Settings
    Adobe Color NA Recommended Settings
    Adobe Default Language CS3
    Adobe Device Central CS3
    Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2
    Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
    Adobe Fonts All
    Adobe Help Viewer CS3
    Adobe Linguistics CS3
    Adobe PDF Library Files
    Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Adobe Reader X (10.1.2)
    Adobe Setup
    Adobe Stock Photos CS3
    Adobe Type Support
    Adobe Update Manager CS3
    Adobe Version Cue CS3 Client
    Adobe WinSoft Linguistics Plugin
    Adobe XMP Panels CS3
    Brother MFL-Pro Suite MFC-490CW
    Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 32-Bit Edition
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
    IHA_MessageCenter
    Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
    Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager
    Java(TM) 6 Update 30
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.51.2.1300
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    Microsoft Antimalware
    Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.1
    Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.1
    Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Access Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Groove MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office InfoPath MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2010
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2010
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Security Client
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 English
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Word 2002
    Microsoft Works 2002 Setup Launcher
    Microsoft Works 6.0
    Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Microsoft Word
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK
    PaperPort Image Printer
    PDF Settings
    PDF-XChange Viewer
    PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0
    QuickBooks
    QuickBooks Pro 2012
    REALTEK RTL8187SE Wireless LAN Driver
    REALTEK USB Wireless LAN Driver
    ScanSoft PaperPort 11
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB2657424)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2446708)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2478663)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2518870)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2539636)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2572078)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2633870)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2656351)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2487367)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2656351)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553091)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553096)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589320) 32-Bit Edition
    Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB2553185) 32-Bit Edition
    Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 (KB2566445)
    Security Update for Microsoft Visio Viewer 2010 (KB2597170) 32-Bit Edition
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    SupportSoft Assisted Service
    Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2468871)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2533523)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2600217)
    Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB2553439) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2494150)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553065)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553092)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553181) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553270) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553310) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553310) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553385) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2566458)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2596964) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2597091) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2553290) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2553290) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2553323) 32-Bit Edition
    Update for Microsoft Outlook Social Connector (KB2583935)
    Update for Microsoft Outlook Social Connector (KB2583935)
    Vz In Home Agent
    WhoCrashed 3.04
    WinRAR 4.01 (32-bit)

• zep516
    12 years ago

Please post a fresh Hijackthis log now.

Did the Norton tool remove anything, did it say ti deleted files?

Did the McAfee tool remove anything?

Did the machine blue screen today?

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No evidence of Norton on the computer that I see.
    McAfee did remove files (must have been a trial that come with)
    No blue screen today or any freezes after the first one.

I intend to leave my computer on over night to see what happens. I think that will be a true test since I have been using it a lot today, though, the idle times have been fine.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 8:10:35 PM, on 3/17/2012
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe
    C:\Users\DK\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - (18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - (53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - (72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - (B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - (789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - (789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O16 - DPF: (E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7) - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O18 - Protocol: intu-help-qb5 - (867FCB77-9823-4CD6-8210-D85F968D466F) - C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2008\HelpAsyncPluggableProtocol.dll
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - (807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - (8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030) - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
    O23 - Service: IHA_MessageCenter - Verizon - C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\Bin\Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe
    O23 - Service: QBCFMonitorService - Intuit - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exe
    O23 - Service: QBIDPService (QBVSS) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\DataProtect\QBIDPService.exe

--
    End of file - 6296 bytes

• zep516
    12 years ago

That looks better now! Norton is gone. That was not a McAfee file sorry about that.

See how it goes for a while.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So far, so good. I'll leave the puter on over night and that will really be a true test, sitting idle and all.

I'll report back in the morning. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your help and time.

-Deb

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update:

Left puter on all night without incident. Perhaps Norton was the problem. Usually, it would have crapped out by now or froze up, but if it continues to behave for a few days, I think it's safe to say, the removal, etc. worked. (Touch wood).

Actually, it seems to have a lot more pep in its clicks. I'll report back later as I'll be out most of the day.

• zep516
    12 years ago

If it does blue screen again, post another Whocrashed log first.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm happy to report that since the uninstall of Norton, thanks to Joe (Zep), I have not have any issues with my computer. This news makes my day since I put countless hours into researching my issue last week and coming up blank.

I can't thank you enough Joe, for helping me out. I know you're THE MAN here for addressing posters issues as I've observed, along with a few others (you know who you are), and I appreciate that there is a place to come for informative answers, and better yet, solutions.

Should this computer happen to crash, I'll post again on this thread along with the crash report as requested, but since things seem fine to date, I appears that it's fixed.

I will not be reinstalling Norton, but rather will keep the free MSE verison if you think it's worthy as the ONLY anti-virus to use moving forward, though I don't believe it scans incoming email. I do have important client info such as credit card #s in Quickbooks and other files that need great protection, along with my own stuff....as we all do.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting enough, computer was fine until I tried to open Photoshop C3. Like last week, it gets stuck on MMXCore Routines when opening. Tried uninstalling it last week, but apparently it didn't happen. Thought maybe it would open since computer was running okay now.

Computer crashed. Here are the crash reports for today:

On Mon 3/19/2012 4:53:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031912-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x9D10D)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC0600058, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFB5D20884, 0xFFFFFFFFC000B000)
    product: Microsoft� Windows� Operating System

On Mon 3/19/2012 4:53:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x9D10D)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC0600058, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0xFFFFFFFFB5D20884, 0xFFFFFFFFC000B000)
    product: Microsoft� Windows� Operating System

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried again to uninstall Photoshop via Programs/Uninstall but computer keeps freezing. Ugggg!!!

• zep516
    12 years ago

MMXCore Routines

That's a photoshop issue as you already know. If this is the only time the computer is having issue, that is, dealing with photoshop, I would suggest seeking help at the adobe forum and see if they can shed lite on this particular issue.

The only thing I could suggest at this point is to try uninstalling photoshop via Safe Mode, or using revo uninstaller.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: adobe

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Upon research, I solved the Adobe issue by re-installing the program via disk in which it fixed whatever files it was missing. I was able to open it fine with no crash or freeze. So, hopefully things are back to normal with EVERYTHING. Thanks Joe.

• zep516
    12 years ago

That's awesome! You do have a lot of adobe software!