SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review

julieste
9 years ago

Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or have even considered them, I thought I'd give my feedback for future dishwasher shoppers. Several weeks ago we purchased a floor model, top-of-the-line, ASKO dishwasher. Model number D5654XXLHS.

This is a three rack, extra tall tub model for extra capacity that works well for both a large group or a small household. As soon as we got it installed, we had house guests for nearly a week. In addition to the house guests, for many meals we also had other extra people. We easily loaded in all the plates, silverware, and glasses after having thirteen people for dinner. With that many people I did wash pots by hand because the thing was full. Normally, however, there are just two of us, and I am one who puts everything in the dishwasher other than things like cookie sheets that are just too large. Now that we are back to just ourselves, we find that we are running it every 1 ½ to 2 days.

I'm very happy with this dishwasher overall because it cleans well, has great flexibility as far as loading, is very quiet, and has a two year warranty. My favorite part of it is the third rack which is in a different location that other dishwashers that have a third rack. Rather than being on the top, this silverware rack (which splits into two different removable racks), is in the middle between the two main racks. This means that not only can I put my silverware there, but I can also put all of those hard-to-figure-out-a-place-for items like spatulas, custard cups, IKEA kids bowls, mixing spoons etc. And, if I'd want to wash super tall things, I can take one of these racks out to have a really tall space.

This is a dishwasher with many different cycles (probably more than I need), and we've only used a few so far. So far we've primarily used the regular cycle for mixed loads of everyday type needs. There are special pot scrubber jets in the bottom of the tub for really dirty pans, and we've successfully used that special cycle to clean a couple of pots with cooked-on food on them. There is a special quick cycle of 15 minutes that is meant for very lightly soiled dishes, and I am anxious to try that when I have the right mix of dishes. Everything comes out spotless (very unlike my old KA). Despite the fact that there is no coil on the bottom or heated dry cycle, everything is dry with the exception of plastic wear that does have some water droplets on it. I did have one instance where I found a very small piece of wet spinach adhering to a plate, but this quickly flicked off unlike how I'd sometime find baked-on food from the heated dry cycle in my KA. The lack of a bottom heating coil also means that I can put plastic wear on the bottom without worries that it will melt.

Prior to the purchase I'd investigated Kitchenaid, Miele, and Bosch 800. Because we'd had several KA dishwashers in the past (when they were truly a top-of-the line-brand) I thought about these. However, I hadn't been particularly happy with the cleaning ability of my last one, and family members who bought a KA in the past two years haven't been happy with it. So, KA was eliminated. That left Bosch 800 and Miele under serious consideration until I found the ASKO brand (one I'd never even heard of before the shopping began). I gave both of those brands long, hard, serious looks but am very happy in my decision to purchase the ASKO.

When shopping I'd followed the advice of some here and taken along a box of dishes to see how they'd work in the dishwashers I was looking at. Something about the Miele's loading set-up didn't seem quite to work for me and my dishes, so that was a big strike against Miele for me. Bottom line though for others who are doing dishwasher shopping: it isn't only how the plates and glasses fit in; it is how all of that other everyday stuff you use fits in.

I got a lot of help here when doing my shopping, so I hope this helps others out.

Comments (57)