SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shmeal_gw

Master Bath Remodel - 4 questions

shmeal
16 years ago

We are in the beginning stages of redoing our master bath. I've spent quite a bit of time reviewing this forum tonight and have had several questions answered already. Such wonderful information!

One answer I can't find is the minimum square footage required for a walk-in shower. Our existing shower has a prefab 32" x 48" acrylic pan which is placed on the diagonal. When I look at the blueprint it looks like there is a good amount of wasted space available if I tear out the diagonal walls. I think I can come up with 5 feet each way, maybe a bit more if DH agrees to shrink the double vanity space between the shower and the tub.

My second question is that we don't see any reason to replace our jetted tub as it is in good shape and works fine. It is only used several times a year but it does have a very small crack in the back corner of the lip that sits on the deck (aesthetic crack only). This is from a mirror / towel rack falling on it while we were trying to mount it securely to the wall. We know we will be selling this house in five to ten years so will a buyer have a problem with that crack? Should we replace the tub now while we have the bathroom torn up or wait and see? Also, can I replace the filler if I don't replace the tub?

Third question...How difficult is it to do demolition? I want to completely tear out the shower (acrylic pan, tile walls, cultured marble seat), remove all the tile from around the tub, remove the floor tile and the cultured marble vanity, maybe the cabinets too depending on the budget and how much room I need for the shower. The bathroom is about 10' x 19' I believe that I can save close to $1000 if I do the demo myself which can then be used elsewhere.

Last question (for tonight)...If I want to add a second vanity or a pedestal sink how expensive will it be to add plumbing and a drain? This is a second story room. The guest bathroom is right next to the wall where I want to put the new sink.

Comments (2)