SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_nj_gw

About to start master bed/bath remodel

Donna_NJ
12 years ago

Hello all, we're just about ready to pull the trigger on the final reno in our house. We redid the kitchen in 2002 (I'm on the FKB), the hall bath in 2007 (on this forum I'm pretty sure), and this is it.

The total space is about 25'x17'6", and we're planning on re-apportioning some of the bedroom space into the bath and closet. Hopefully my postings will work, showing the current layout, an option that keeps the bath in the same relative position, and two that flip the bath and closet -- we can gain room in this scenario for the bath by moving further into the bedroom. One has a corner whirlpool, which I'm starting to get attached to.

I'm planning on a Toto Nexus toilet -- used it in the other bath, love it functionally and from a cleaning perspective. Going with a modern vanity, white carrera 12x12 on the floors and shower walls. Accent tiles will be green glass to go with the vanity top, planning a 6" backsplash for the vanity, and a row of the carrera as diamonds above the tub, topped by the glass tile; saw a really nice metal edging to use with the glass instead of any kind of topper.

My two biggest design questions are around the layout and the shower. My contractor says he thinks we're going to be lucky in terms of moving the toilet --he thinks the beams are running in the right direction so that sliding the toilet along the back wall won't be a big deal.

The first layout, leaving the bathroom in its current location, bothers me b/c of the wasted space in the corner between the tub and the vanity. Contractor's suggestion was to box it in and use it as a display space. Also in this configuration, I'd need to stick with a 19" vanity to provide enough clearance between it and the shower -- which I can do if I were convinced this layout were the right one.

Flipping the bath and closet gives us so much more flexibility to make the bath large enough that I'm pretty sure it's the right way to go, but would love to hear other's thoughts as well.

The shower -- we want a steam shower. If my contractor custom builds it, it's going to be around $6K (steam unit, door, tiling). Ariel has a self-contained unit for $3.2K or so that looks neat, but I can't find anyone who's used one to hear experiences, and I'm sort of worried -- made in China, difficult to get parts, and no user feedback. Anybody have knowledge of this brand? I searched these forums, and a few people have asked as well, but nobody ever answers!

The corner whirlpool would be quite luxurious, but I could live with a regular whirlpool as well as shown in the first design with the spaces flipped. What I'm really looking forward to is the inline heater in the tub -- I like a long, hot soak, and it irks DH to hear me running the tub the whole time to keep it hot.

In the bedroom, we're taking up the old, nasty carpeting and refinishing the oak floors that are there -- I'm planning to have it stained somewhat dark, similar to the espresso color of the vanity as our existing furniture is pretty dark brown too. Open questions still: paint color for the non-tiled walls in the bathroom and the bedroom itself. I'm imagining staying in one color family, and leaning towards green -- maybe a pale, sea-foamy kinda feel in the bathroom and a slightly darker shade of the same color for the bedroom.

Would love anybody's comments, thoughts, questions, critiques -- thanks! Here are my pics:

Current layout

New with bath in same place:

Bath and closet flipped, rectangular tub:

Bath and closet flipped, corner tub:

Vanity

Glass tiles for backsplash and accents

Comments (26)