SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suevani

Quick resp needed: Should whirlpool be installed flush to wall?

suevani
14 years ago

I am purchasing a Kohler 6 foot whirlpool tub. I have a choice between a 36 inch width (hourglass shaped) model and a 42 inch width (oval shaped) model. Both are drop-in tubs and have a rectangular apron/frame around them. On one of the side walls, I have only 47.5 inches. If I choose the 42 inch width tub, my contractor said that he would install the tub flush with the back wall (which of course will have a tile or granite backsplash)-- as there is no room for tile/granite decking behind the 42 inch tub. This would leave us with just over five inches of wall in front of the tub-- three inches of tile/granite decking with two inches to spare so that the tub front tile/granite decking won't be flush with the end of the wall. We will have five inches of tile/granite decking on either side of the tub.

My question is: Will this configuration be less than ideal with five inches of tile/granite decking on both sides of the tub and three inches of tile/granite decking in front-- but no tile/granite decking on the back wall? With the 36 inch width tub I would be able to have five inches of tile/granite decking along the back and the sides, and three inches in front. And I would still have three inches to spare so that the tub decking would not be flush with the end of the wall (my contractor recommends having a jog between the end of the tub decking and the end of the wall. What do you think?

Is it more attractive to have a tub with some tile/granite decking on the back wall rather than having the tub flush to the back wall? Or is it better to have the wider 42 inch tub?

Comments (2)