SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jody7sharp

Final Walk Through - what's too picky?

jody7sharp
10 years ago

I've been lurking here reviewing all of your posts and gaining lots of information for over a year! This is our dream home, although it will be modest to many here.

We've never built before and learned alot in this process. This week we will do our new home orientation and walk through, which I understand is the time that I will be going our "punch list". I found many posts here by searching and have some great templates for a punch list.

My question is, with a brand new custom home, what is "too picky" regarding finishing and what is to be expected? For example, if there is a chip on a piece of molding, is that acceptable? What if I see a scratch in the wood floor? A dent in my metal closet handle? These are things we have seen in previous weeks as we've checked on the home and I'm not sure how much of it is just "human construction" or if it should demand a replacement.

I don't want to be an unreasonable perfectionist, but I also don't want to settle or (since we are inexperienced) be told that "those things just happen" and be stuck living with it when I should have asked for it to be fixed!

Can you help me figure out what items I may cite on a report like this? Or what types of things did you cite there were rectified?

Thanks!

Comments (4)