SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Closing vs Final walk through vs certificate of occupancy....HELP!

kbear_15
8 years ago

Background: finishing up a new build - builder told me scheduled completion date is april 1 and that is the day they plan to "close/sign off and do the final walk through." builder said "that day, we'd go through each room, talk about it, mark it if i see something they didn't catch and that same or next day, they'll bring back the painter or whomever to do all the little touch ups."

I am a bit confused after reading many posts and was hoping to clarify some things.

I would appreciate any explanations and advice/opinions to the following questions:

1. what is the difference between closing vs final walk through? (fyi - we have a construction loan with a bank and "closed" last year; they said there was only one closing and we would not close a 2nd time when the house was done. our loan automatically converts to a traditional mortgage after the house is completed).

2. When do you make the punch list? Before the "final walk through" with the builder or that same day? I am concerned because the builder informed me yesterday the carpenter installed all the door handles, including the front door (which has a different lock/key than the temporary one (which I had copied) - so I used to have access to the house to visit anytime I wanted; but now, I can't get into the house. I asked the builder what if I want to come and look around - builder said to call and let them know & we'd schedule a meeting.....this makes me very nervous as I may want to prepare a punch list without her and not feel "pressured." I am also concerned b/c prior walk throughs felt like a tornado and builder tends to push things along in a hurry. Can I ask to make a copy of the current lock/key so I can go as often as I'd like?

3. I feel strongly and plan on hiring a 3rd party/independent inspector; When should this inspector come? before the closing/final walk through w/ the builder? that same day with the builder? it doesn't make much sense to me for them to come after; If it's before the final walk through, i've been advised to tell the builder and they should be given the opportunity to be there. If before the final walkthrough, how far in advance? 1-2 days?

4. Should all appliances be installed by the time the final walk through occurs with the builder? Builder is only installing hood and d/w. Since day one, I knew we were responsible for purchasing our own appliances and all other appliances (except hood and d/w) were to be delivered and installed by whomever we purchased them from. The issue i'm struggling with is the timing. I asked the builder when I could schedule the remaining appliances to be delivered/installed (bought from a local store) and the builder said not until after closing. This makes no sense to me - as if something were not to work (i.e. electrical, plumbing, etc), we have no way of testing the appliances during/before the walk through. builder's explanation was they don't want those appliances in the house while subcontractors, etc, are working on things (sounds like they don't want any liability issues, etc). What if I get it installed 1-3 days before the final walk through??

I don't know if this is relevant, but builder said their cleaning crew would likely be cleaning the day before the closing/final walk through. Does the house need to be cleaned before the appliances are delivered/installed?/does that matter?

5. So how exactly does it work? you go through the final walk through with the builder - punch list is made; they supposedly fix everything on the list - do you have another walk through to verify everything was fixed? when does the builder hand you the key to your house? when are you allowed to physically move in? do you move in immediately after the final walk through (while items on the punch list are worked on)? When do you receive the certificate of occupancy? do you call the bank or title co. to verify no liens on the house? Any reasons to call the city for any issues???

Thank you in advance. This is just overwhelming and I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Comments (9)