SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_ny_gw

Page cannot be displayed

john_ny
15 years ago

I've been having a few problems. Using Outlook express, I was getting time outs when I tried to look at e-mail. Tried a few things that were suggested and, after cutting power for 15 seconds, it seems this problem was corrected. Then I had some problems with Internet Explorer. Normally, when I clicked on IE, the Microsoft page would come up, and I would click on a site from my favorite list, and it would come up, and the little Back arrow, at the top left, would turn from gray to green. Now, when I click on IE, I get a "Page cannot be displayed" message and I have to click on the Refresh button to get the Microsoft page. Then, when I click on the site I want, it comes up, but the back arrow stays gray, and doesn't turn green, until I go to a second page. It used to be when I wanted to leave one site, and go to another, I'd click on the back arrow until it turned gray. Then I would be back on the MS page (So I didn't have one site running on top of another) Now, the arrow turns gray, when I get back to the first page of the selected site; it doesn't bring me back to the MS page. So, if I had Garden Buddies up, and wanted to go to something else, the only way I can get GB off the screen, is to turn IE off, and then click it back on.

I also was having to log on every time (Here and other places), but clearing the temporary files seemed to take care of that.

I think this all possibly might have something to do with settings, when I recently switched from Norton to Verizon Security Suite.

Using Windows XP with a FIOS (fiber optic ) connection.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (82)

• zep516
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

After you remove all that out of date java, lime wire, and stopzilla

These are next instructions:

We are going to use hijack this program now to remove left over entries pay attention here:

You may need to print these instructions out or view them on a different computer.

IMPORTANT----->Close ALL BROWSER WINDOWS MAKE SURE NOTHING IS OPEN ONLY HIJACKTHIS---> Now double click the hijackthis Icon on the desk top, Do a (SYSTEM SCAN ONLY)-----We are not saving a log file this time so it's a bit different:

Now with the scan in front of you;

Place a (check mark) in the little box to the left of the following entries below making sure you get them all an no others.

O2 - BHO: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - (4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D) - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - (D714A94F-123A-45CC-8F03-040BCAF82AD6) - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SbCIe02b.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: SITEguard BHO - (1827766B-9F49-4854-8034-F6EE26FCB1EC) - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Verizon Broadband Toolbar - (4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D) - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\vzbb.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: STOPzilla - (98828DED-A591-462F-83BA-D2F62A68B8B8) - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

Hijack this automatically makes backups of everything we do.

It is also possible some of those entries may not be there on the next scan..

• zep516
    15 years ago

I forgot the most important part so I have to do another post because you can't edit here.

After you place all the check marks next to the entries,

Click on "FIXED CHECKED".

Then CLOSE hijack this.

Last step for hijack is DO A SYSTEM SCAN & SAVE A LOG FILE to make sure the checked entries are gone, sometimes you have to do it twice, sometimes you need to do it in safe mode we will will see how goes..

• Related Discussions

Wireless router problem

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. We do not have VOIP, this router (although marketed for Vonage) was a close-out and thus, cheap. We only use the internet connectivity part of the router. We have no telephones at all. There is no possibility that anyone else is using our bandwidth. For one, we are subject to FAP and believe me we would know (our allowance is 185 MB a day in downloads). Also, even though it is a wireless signal, it isn't that strong and someone would have to be on our road, on our property, pretty much right in front of the house to use our signal. So, no, there is no misuse of our bandwidth. We do not use a firewall. We have tried them, and simply did not like how much they slowed down our computers. The router nor the Hughes Net modem does not have a firewall. We don't want a firewall on our systems. I also feel that our antivirus and spyware programs are suitable for our needs- I don't want to add any more programs- our machines are not "souped up" modern machines but they serve our needs well. In other words, small hard drives and enough memory to do what we need to do. We use the Tea Timer in Spybot, along with the browser protection. At one time we had Spyware Blaster, but in recent months we just rely on SpyBot. We have well-maintained systems and adding any more protection programs would be overkill, in my opinion. We have used the internet for several years and have never had a virus or spyware. Our computers are used mostly for schoolwork, although we use do use webmail. We do very little pleasure surfing. The router did not come with any software at all. Only the user guide on CD.
    ...See More

Explorer won't open

Q

Comments (7)
    Try this Minnie. Right click Start click Explore In the left side click the plus sign beside C:\ and the menu drops down Scroll down and click the plus sign beside Program Files Scroll down some more and click once on Internet Explorer to highlight it Now look on the right side and right click on iexplore or iexplore.exe, which ever you see and in the pop up box click to send a short cut to your desktop. Close all the stuff and double click on the new icon and you should be good to go. If so then right click on the old icon and then click to delete it. Done hopefully.
    ...See More

PLease help..computer is beyond speeding up now i think

Q

Comments (34)
    PolarPrincess - If you have a USB port, buy an external hard drive that connects to the USB port and copy ALL of your data (pictures and other personal files) to it. Then your data is safe and you can clean up the rest of the system. If not, burn them to CD for safety. THEN: 1 - Empty the Trash 2 - Search for files on the entire system, using this search pattern" *.bak (those are temporary files that can be deleted) 3 - Delete all of those files. 4 - Empty the trash again. 5 - Search for all *.tmp files and delete them 6 - Empty the trash again. 7 - Run the Windows XP "check disk" utility as described here: http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html It may take quite a while ... 8 - Then try running the defragmentation program.
    ...See More

internet explorer

Q

Comments (10)
    I dunno,, some thoughts; You can open a command prompt, or maybe type CMD in the run line, and type in at the prompt ; traceRt www.yahoo.com and see if it works to completion,,, to stop it CtrL+C if needed. If it doesnt resolve that url name into a longer named url and IP#'s... and the same down the list of hops,,,, there is a command you might try to flush your dns cache;;; ipconfig /? one of the options should be to Flush DnS cache,,do that like this most likely;; ipconfig /flushdns Then try the 'traceRt www.yahoo.com again and see if it works. If still not working next would be you Might want to look in IE internet Options, under the connections tab. Probably should be set to never dial a connection.. then push the LAN button while there, and uncheck all the boxes there if checked. Another thing you might look at is windows services,,, you might right click the myComputer icon and select Manage. Down near the bottom you should see Services,, expand that out until you see a list of services,,, one of the services is DNS ,,, if it doesnt say Automatic and show as Started,,, double click it,, set it to auto,, and push the start button. I dont know if you understand the HOSTS file,, something may have blocked everything... might look in it -- it has a small explanation on top that maybe you can understand. Sounds like you have a google search bar and it knows its own ip. I hate search bars. heh.
    ...See More
  • john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zep - Thanks again. Got rid of Limewire & Stopzilla. (I think) Checkeditems in HJT, as per your instructions. There were 3 items on your check list that I did not find, (02 - BHO SITEguard...STOPzilla, 03 - Toolbar... STOPzilla, 04 - Limewire On Startup...) but that was probably because I had already deleted these two items. I don't know where to find the old Java, to delete it. Here's the new HJT scan.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 9:27:50 AM, on 2/11/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\Fws.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\rps.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wfxsnt40.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon03.exe
    C:\Program Files\Ontrack\ZipMagic\zm32nt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Ahead\ODD Toolkit\DVDTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Verizon\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\ssmmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\JL2005A\cam_mon.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepointComHandler.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm09.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\RpsSecurityAwareR.exe
    C:\Program Files\HiJackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - (06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - (3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A) - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\pkR.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - (AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7) - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - (E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - (2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F) - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFaxAppPortStarter] wfxsnt40.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon03] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon03.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZipMagic] C:\Program Files\Ontrack\ZipMagic\zm32nt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDTray] C:\Program Files\Ahead\ODD Toolkit\DVDTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\Verizon\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Samsung PanelMgr] C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\ssmmgr.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAMMON_JL2005A] C:\Program Files\JL2005A\cam_mon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VerizonServicepoint.exe] "C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe" /AUTORUN
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ZipMagic] C:\Program Files\Ontrack\ZipMagic\zm32nt.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TClockEx] C:\Program Files\TClockEx\TCLOCKEX.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O16 - DPF: (01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
    O16 - DPF: (17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700) (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: (640B39C1-D713-464F-92C3-75BD972B95EE) - http://www.sidestep.com/get/k42037/sb02b.cab
    O16 - DPF: (6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3) (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1142949036440
    O16 - DPF: (90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68) (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: PDAgent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm09.exe
    O23 - Service: Verizon Internet Security Suite (Radialpoint Security Services) - Verizon - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\RpsSecurityAwareR.exe
    O23 - Service: Verizon Internet Security Suite Firewall (RP_FWS) - Verizon - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\Fws.exe

--
    End of file - 6439 bytes

• owbist
    15 years ago

I for one am glad you never waited for a friend to help you out here as you had stated early on in this thread. You obviously followed Zep's instructions and have cleaned your computer yourself. Gives you a good feeling huh? Great job John.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

good job looking much better.

you asked where to find the java to get rid of the old versions they will be in add remove programs , start> control panel> add remove programs, then look for those items zep listed and choose to remove those. When you have old versions of java on your machine it is left open to some very serious vulnerabilities, which was the reason they put out an update however java was one that did not remove the old versions with the install of the new version so it was left up to the user to do that, With the latest version of java now it is supposed to from that update on clean out the old when you get the new, so once you have this all cleaned out and the latest version in you should be set.
    And anytime you want to check your java to see if it has the latest updates you can go to control panel> java> and hit the update button right there, it will then check.
    Since you had several toolbars you really want to pay attention anytime you update things like java, for instance or you install things, if there is anything extra that it has checked or it ask if you want to add along with the update or program always choose NO. You don't want any of that extra junk, like toolbars. It is ashamed that they do those kinds of things but they do it to make money of course, there is a list called the hall of shame compiled of all the things that add the extras and try to get you to fall for it.
    Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on)

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got rid of the old Java.

Scan saved at 2:19:08 PM, on 2/11/2009

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - "06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3> - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - "3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A> - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\pkR.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - "761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - "AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7> - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - "DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - "E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - "2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F> - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\Verizon\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Samsung PanelMgr] C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\PanelMgr\ssmmgr.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VerizonServicepoint.exe] "C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe" /AUTORUN
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ZipMagic] C:\Program Files\Ontrack\ZipMagic\zm32nt.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - "08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - "08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
    O16 - DPF: "01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE> - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
    O16 - DPF: "17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700> (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: "640B39C1-D713-464F-92C3-75BD972B95EE> - http://www.sidestep.com/get/k42037/sb02b.cab
    O16 - DPF: "6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3> (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1142949036440
    O16 - DPF: "90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68> (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: PDAgent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    O23 - Service: Verizon Internet Security Suite (Radialpoint Security Services) - Verizon - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\RpsSecurityAwareR.exe
    O23 - Service: Verizon Internet Security Suite Firewall (RP_FWS) - Verizon - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\Fws.exe

--
    End of file - 6692 bytes

However, the same problems persist. After turning the computer off, and back on, I can get my e-mail, but only once. After that, when I try to check it, it goes to, "Connecting", and hangs up there until I get a time out. (If I want to check again, I have to turn the machine off and on again)
    Also, I still get the, "Page cannot be displayed", and, "Can't find server" messages each time I try to connect to the internet. Only when I click on, "Refresh" does the Microsoft home page come up, and I still have to log on every time I go to a site.

• owbist
    15 years ago

Try this to resolve your connection problem
    click Start
    click Run type ipconfig /flushdns
    click OK

Any improvement?

• zep516
    15 years ago

Lets run a cleaner program real simple,

In the link below click it, when you get to the web page at the bottom you will see in red "ATF CLEANER" CLICK it---> a window will pop up choose safe file, save it to your desk top, run the cleaner place a check mark in SELECT ALL AND RUN IT..

Then run Malwarebytes this could take an hour to run here are instructions,for malwarebytes, run ATF FIRST.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop. Click here
    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
    The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
    Extra Note:
    If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

zep516

That's maybe all we get done today, looking better.

It's time to get rid of IE6 AND UPGRADE TO IE7, and install firefox at some point.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Thanks raven & Owbist...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

yes definitely get firefox so we can determine if this is an IE problem, you will like firefox much better anyway.

you might also try a connection repair, go to start, connections, all connections, hilight your current connection, on the left column select repair this connection.

I also have verizon fios, did these problems start right after the tech was there doing your install? did he actually install stuff to your pc? they can do it with out using the disc but unfortunately they tend to use it and it puts a bunch of un-needed junk on the pc.
    It may be that you will need to contact them and have a tech come back out and fix some settings. One of the things they always tell you when you are having connection problems is to try powering down the router, unplug the power plug from the back of the router, wait a little while then plug it back in.

none of this is normal for fios by the way, mine is fabulous love it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

by the way in case you were not aware there is a dedicated verizon fios forum over at BBR, it helped me a great deal in my early days, I was a test house of the very first fios installs here in Texas in 2005, plus there is a Verizon direct forum there as well where you can talk directly with Verizon techs, which is awesome.
    Verizon Fiber Optics

Verizon Direct
    using the verizon direct they can even schedule a trouble ticket for you from that forum.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, everyone. I can't believe the time you guys have put in to help some stranger shlep.
    Owbist - Tried it; didn't work.
    Zep - Will try your ATF and Malware stuff tomorrow, or Friday, when I have more time. Right now, I don't want to get into some lengthy program, in case my wife wants to look at her e-mail, when she gets home.
    Raven - No, it didn't happen right after the tech was here. We've had the computer and telephone service for a couple of years now, and the tech was my brother in law, my wife's brother. We only got the TV part, a couple of months ago, because of legal measures brought by the local cable company, trying to stifle competition. When they were finally able to offer the TV part, the demand was so high, that they had to import techs from other states to help. My BIL was not working then, but said he would make sure a friend came. The poor guy was here for the better part of a day and, when he went to turn it on, it didn't work. It took them a month to get it resolved, and then, the tech was a guy imported from Texas. He got if fixed in a few hours. A contractor, working on a massive sewer project, in the area, had damaged the cable. Since these cables can't be spliced, the whole thing had to be replaced. Our house is far off the road, so they had to use the longest cable they had, 425 feet. We are now on our third cable.
    But, as you say, I love the crystal clear TV, and the speedy internet.
    I think the trouble began about a week or two ago when, realizing that I was not going to be able to get my usual deal on Norton this year, I decided to activate the Verizon security, without first removing the Norton, which still had a few weeks until expiration.

• zep516
    15 years ago

John,

I'm not addressing the IE problem have no clue what's going on there,

Running ATF and Malwarebytes is part of the clean up process after that we need to do a Defrag from windows then we are done.

My opinion on IE6 up grading to IE7 may resolve the issue, but I'm not there yet I'm still looking at log, and we have a folder to delete last thing..

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK - Whatever you guys say. I, obviously, am pretty cluless here. Thanks.

john

• zep516
    15 years ago

"cluless"

I don't think so you know a lot more then when you got here, and you have done an excellent job here.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,

Hi,
    When I see a couple of suggestions, I try the simplest first, and if that doesn't work, then move on to the more complicated.

raven said

you might also try a connection repair, go to start, connections, all connections, hilight your current connection, on the left column select repair this connection.

I can go to start, but then I don't see connections, all connections, a place where I can hilight my current connection, or a place to select repair. The closest I can come is go to settings, and then click network connections, or go to settings, then to the control panel and click on the network settings icon. In either case,I end up with what is shown in the link.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Right click Local Area connection an choose repair.

I don't think this is a connection problem or you would not be able to go to any web sites.

Did you run ATF cleaner & Malwarebytes?

• zep516
    15 years ago

Here's what you do when you can't connect at all:

Repair internet connection
    Go to Start > Control Panel - If you are using Windows XP's Category View, select the Network and Internet Connections category. If you are in Classic View, go to the next step.

* Double-click the Network Connections icon.
    * Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties.
    * Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
    * Be sure Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
    * OK your way out.

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd
    Click OK

* This will open a command prompt.
    * Type the following line in the command window:

ipconfig /flushdns (note the space between ipconfig and /)

* Press Enter on the keyboard.
    * Exit the command window

Restart your computer.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am hopeful. Thank you. all

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
    Database version: 1749
    Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2/12/2009 6:11:30 PM
    mbam-log-2009-02-12 (18-11-30).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\:)
    Objects scanned: 131108
    Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 32 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 8
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cpbrkpie.coupon6ctrl.1 (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\(9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c) (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\(a85a5e6a-de2c-4f4e-99dc-f469df5a0eec) (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\(87255c51-cd7d-4506-b9ad-97606daf53f3) (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\(6e780f0b-bcd6-40cb-b2db-7af47ab4d4a4) (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\(a138be8b-f051-4802-9a3f-a750a6d862d4) (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\(87255c51-cd7d-4506-b9ad-97606daf53f3) (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\(d714a94f-123a-45cc-8f03-040bcaf82ad6) (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    C:\WINDOWS\CouponPrinter.ocx (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cpnprt2.cid (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

• zep516
    15 years ago

All adware nothing serious,

but lets check when you get time run the scan in the link below that I provided for another member I know the last thing you want to do is run another scan.

• zep516
    15 years ago

"Coupon Printer for Windows"

What is that above it's in your add/remove programs list ??

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ran the Kapersky, but don't see any report. It was rather quick. (The Mal... tok over 2½ hours.)

The coupon printer thing is something that prints out grocery store coupons.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Your probably ok since malwarebytes didn't turn up anything.

How's the computer running and where are we with the IE issue?

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Zep,

Not quite all right. I had my nephew over here, and he spent several hours working on it. He spoke to the Verizon tech, as suggested in raven's post of Feb. 11 @17:39. To see if it was just an IE issue, he also tried Yahoo, but the results were the same. He went into the registry, and got rid of everything Symantec. He said he thought it was working about 50% of the time (getting the Microsoft home page to come up, without having to hit refresh, and getting the e-mail to go beyond, "Connecting', and then timing out) I had thought it was whatever you clicked on first (after restarting the machine) would come up normal, and what you clicked on next would not. I went through the steps you outlined, in your post from 16:10 yesterday and, I must say I managed to get the Microsoft home page to come up normally 3 times in a row. I then tried the e-mail, and it worked, and then back to the internet, and it worked again. However, when I got to the GardenWeb home page, I had to Refresh, but then I didn't have to log in again. Who knows? Go figure.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thought we were making good progress, on Friday, but now it seems as bad as ever or, maybee, even worse.

• zep516
    15 years ago

What are the symptoms now.

• zep516
    15 years ago

In the link below is that what you have installed from Verizon.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Since someone else has worked on the pc I want to see a fresh hijackthis log,

And take a closer look at the firewall Verizon has set up.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, thanks. What is in the Verizon link is what I have. The symptoms now are kind of erratic. Usually, but not always, after I restart I can get my e-mail, or get the Microsoft home page to come up. Usually, but not always, it only works one time, and then I have to reboot again. A couple of times it worked without restarting. Also, once or twice, I got the Microsoft page, and then when I went to open Garden Web I got the Page Cannot Be Displayed message, and had to Refresh to get it to open. I had restarted, after the last time I used the machine and, when I turned it on again, a few minutes ago, everything worked perfectly normal.
    Now, I think I'm going to have to do a system restore, or something because, somewhere along the line, all my wife's e-mail folders disappeared. Mine are still there, but she's not too happy.

I'll try to get a new HJT in a little while.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scan saved at 1:47:44 PM, on 2/19/2009

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - (06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - (3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A) - C:\Program Files\Verizon\Verizon Internet Security Suite\pkR.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - (AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7) - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - (E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - (2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F) - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - (08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - (08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
    O16 - DPF: (01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
    O16 - DPF: (17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700) (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: (640B39C1-D713-464F-92C3-75BD972B95EE) - http://www.sidestep.com/get/k42037/sb02b.cab
    O16 - DPF: (6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3) (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1142949036440
    O16 - DPF: (90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68) (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab

--
    End of file - 6676 bytes

I hadn't restarted after sending the last message so, when I went to get on to send this one, I had to refresh again

• zep516
    15 years ago

"somewhere along the line, all my wife's e-mail folders disappeared."

Sorry for that but nothing that you and I removed (Norton)

Would cause E Mail folders to disappear.

Do you have a router connected and a modem? I would consider connecting to modem directly to the pc see if that helps if it does not,

Then I would download firefox web browser and try it out.

Not so sure System Restore will bring back e-mail folders

I can recommend a program called recuva for that.

• zep516
    15 years ago

See link for recuva

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I really wonder if some of these problems are coming from the RadialPoint Security Services that you are using from Verizon.
    There are some discussion boards provided by RPS which you may want to check out and just in case you decide you want to get rid of it you might want to bookmark this page so you have access to the special uninstaller. I would download it to my pc and save it locally in case I ever needed it.
    How can I uninstall Radialpoint Security Services?

Radialpoint User Community

• zep516
    15 years ago

Ok the log is ok.

It sounds like a DNS issue to me. Google DNS.. so you know what it is.

I'd like to try the Router thing 1st that is by pass it connect modem directly to pc,.

Then I'd like to download Fire fox web browser and see if that helps or consider up grading to IE7.

Last:

Consider disabling the firewall you did say these problems started when you installed Verizon Security..

Anyway I'm here for the long haul...

• zep516
    15 years ago

Right I think all the issues started with the addition of Verizon Security Suite, It's probably Norton with a different name ha ha,

Me I'd uninstall anything called Verizon an take control of your computer but that's me....

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, gentlemen. Thanks again. I will get to work on these things, first thing in the AM. It does eem that at least some of the problem is the Verizon Security. Right now, I wish I had never gotten it. It is a real pain with all kins of thins popping up all over. The link shows one of these things. I thought it would go away, once we got rid of Norton, but it's still there (unless I didn't completely get rid of Norton). I don't have any children, so I don't need Parental Control.

• zep516
    15 years ago

If you are unhappy with Verizon Security Suite and you have things popping up all over, time to remove it or at least consider it strongly. You're also paying for this aggravation...

In the link below is the uninstaller program save it to favorites or bookmark it we may want to use it.

Then you could install Avast Anti Virus (Free) and we could recommend a firewall.

Even if it does not resolve the problem at least you get this monster off the pc.....

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to all who've helped! I got rid of Verizon Security and installed Avast - seems to be working well.

I don't know what happened to my wife's email folder - it's not displayed in Outlook Express, but the .dbx file is still in the LocalSettings\ApplicationData\.....\OutlookExpress folder. So, now I'm searching for a freeware dbx opener. Any suggestions would be welcome. And thanks again for all your help.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Post a fresh hijackthis log please

• zep516
    15 years ago

See if any help here for outlook see link I didn't read it all.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scan saved at 2:56:16 PM, on 2/20/2009

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - (761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - (08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - (08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

--
    End of file - 6191 bytes

• zep516
    15 years ago

Do you know what this is:

I'll look it up...

• zep516
    15 years ago

It's for Verizon online support..

We need to get a firewall a free one. I'm not sure what to recommend..I'll look others may have an idea.

How is everything running.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everything seems fine now.

• zep516
    15 years ago

OK

Check back for a recommend firewall to install..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I still like zone alarm, I use an older version of zone alarm pro, however if you do go with zone alarm free be cautious they do try to install an unwanted toolbar now.

this is a very helpful site
    Firewalls and ZoneAlarm Guide and Tips

other free ones you might consider are
    Outpost Firewall FREE
    Jetico Personal Firewall software

a good place to always check is gizmo's site for recommended good free products.
    Best Free Firewall

any that you might choose be very careful on install to uncheck any other items they may have checked that you do not want like toolbars.

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys, once again. It looks like the biggest problem was the Verizon Security Suite. E-mail and internet access seem to work OK now. I had my nephew (he knows so much more about this stuff than I) look at my wife's lost e-mail folders, and I think he got a lot of them back, but I'm not sure. Some of the stuff that he got dates to 1961, and I'm quite sure that most of this stuff was what she had deleted, and didn't want. However, what was recovered seems to be up to June '08, and there is nothing from then until now.

• zep516
    15 years ago

Good tell your Nephew to turn off some of the start up programs:

You must have a lot of Icons in the system tray by the clock. These programs start every time you start Windows and consume a lot of RAM (Memory)

• john_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, we'll get some of the start-up things out of there this weekend.
    Correcting a little error in my last posting; none of the items go back to 1961. As a retired Navy officer, I have dates and time, on the computer, in a military format, date-month-year. The item I was refering to was from 19 June 01.(19-6-01) Sorry about that.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

john I was wondering if your wife was some kind of magician to be able to have email from 1961 LOL!! or possibly a time machine! I was seriously going hum wait EMAIL from 1961? how? LOL glad you cleared that up for me.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource