SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sriston

Wireless router problem

sriston
15 years ago

First, the basics: We have 4 computers. Two desktops, two notebooks. All OS are XP SP3, fully updated. We use Avira, WinPatrol, and Spybot- the machines are all clean and in perfect running condition. No problems with any of the computers- they run perfectly. We all use Firefox 3 although we do have IE 7 on the machines.

We have Hughes Net. We are rural, and satellite internet was/is our only option for high speed internet. We have never had any problems with Hughes Net. Before Hughes Net, we had dial-up. The two desktop computers were connected ad-hoc and shared the dial-up connection. If I needed to use one of my notebooks, I simply unplugged the ethernet cable from desktop #2 and plugged it into the notebook.

A couple of weeks ago, we all began experiencing problems with "the page cannot be displayed". (Ugh. Aggravating.) All computers are experiencing this problem. 10 out of 20 page views returns this error, whether we use Firefox or IE. By process of elimination, I discovered the culprit was our wireless router. (I by-passed the router and tested each computer using only the Hughes Net modem. Very fast speed and no page loading problems at all.)

The Hughes Net modem (HN9000) connects into our wireless router (D-Link model # VWR-VR). The wireless router has a cable that connects to the main desktop, and there is an ethernet cable that also connects from the back of the router to desktop computer #2. The notebooks connect via the wireless signal. Typical configuration from what I have read.

I did not install the wireless router. The man that installed our Hughes Net modem several months ago (October 2008) did, so I am not familiar with the original configuration of the wireless modem, but I do know that the signal is not secure and it really should have been set up as a secure network.

Neither the Hughes Net modem or the wireless router show up in device manager. Never have. We know how to access the Hughes Net modem, and through research on the internet I have learned how to access the wireless router. I have not changed anything in the wireless router yet. The wireless router came with a disk, but the disk only contains the user guides.

We have had plenty of lengthy power outages lately (ice storm outages) and I suspect the router may have reset itself to the default settings (if it was ever configured at all).

My question- what steps should I take to correct this almost-constant "page cannot be displayed"? Also, we are using the original cable that was wired for ad-hoc connection to connect into the router. If I remember correctly, the pin outs are different for ad-hoc configuration than if the cable is going into a router. Would this make any noticeable difference in connection quality of that particular cable?

I realize this is kind of long and lengthy, but I appreciate any help with this router problem and suggestions on how to solve it. I considered just buying a new router and setting it up myself so that I would have first-hand knowledge about the configuration, but first I would like to attempt to salvage this router (and save some money) since it previously worked well.

Comments (3)