SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanctuarygirl

design issue: tub/shower without any divider between?

sanctuarygirl
13 years ago

I subscribe to the Facebook feed for houseplans.com and a floorplan they posted just now has a design feature in the bathroom that I have been wanting to discuss. If you click on the link below and check out the layout for the master bath, you will see that the shower and tub are within one enclosure or space together without any kind of divider between, back-to-back. I only see this in floorplans for large luxury homes, but I am wondering why that is, since it seems like such a logical idea that would be great to use in space-challenged bathrooms in any home? IS there something I am missing here that makes this a very expensive layout?

The ledge around the tub serves as a seating area for the shower. This makes so much sense to me in terms of efficient use of space, makes the shower super-roomy. In this floorplan, it looks like there is an actual door used to enter the space, but I have seen this concept in magazines where there was no door, the shower was either curbless or had a very low curb. This one has them placed front-to-back of each other with both shower and tub on the wall, but I have seen ones that are side-to-side, where you walk into the shower first, then beyond that sits the tub against the wall.

As I plan to build my first home, ideas like this appeal to me because this seems to be a good way to address efficient use of bathroom space, as well as be a very accessible design for us as we age. Practical luxuries are the best kind!

Any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: link to plan with shared tub/shower space

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022