SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_ruth_gw

christmas ornaments, antiquing

mary_ruth
15 years ago

This is a new thread to cover what was started on Judith's Christmas tree thread.

ANTIQUING THE CHROME (INEXPENSIVE) SILVER GARLANDS: MAKING IT LESS 'CHROME' AND BLEND IN MORE WITH MERCURY GLASS AND OLDER OR OTHER MORE SUBTLE DECORATIONS.

{{gwi:1447910}}

I used 'Liquid Leaf' paint in a small glass jar I got at Ben Franklin. Here is a link to what the product looks like, link at bottom of post. They sell it where they sell the silver leafing. I got the silver argent color. It comes out like Pewter when it is applied and it dries. This to me was good for shadowing and knocking down the chrome look. They sell it in gold too. Since most of the silver decor is so shiny it becomes flat when you look at it all, blending together.

HOW: I used a 'throw-away' small brush (wear an old shirt because the paint is oil based and thin, like model paint (smells too, get ventilation). And then just brush the paint brush on the inside edge of the jar so your brush won't be so loaded and dab here and there until you see it come to life for you.

You can also do a silver leaf application on some things that you can antique the crevices with a diluted brown craft paint and wipe off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid-Leaf paint

Comments (32)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions