SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Would you pay $$$ for one Christmas ornament?

I love antique and vintage mercury glass Christmas ornaments, which I've collected at thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, and from family members. In the few weeks before Christmas each year I like to search ebay for those similar to mine, for current value. (In reality I like to gloat, often pointing out to my kids how much someone else has paid for one that I found at a bargain.)

I noticed that this year a certain style is commanding prices of up to $300 per bulb, mostly by one or two bidders, but there are quite a few bidders participating in the auctions. The most desirable seems to be a diorama, made in Italy, with a crimped edge.

Can anyone tell me why these ornaments are so sought after? I know that prices are based on supply and demand, and that holidays bring nostalgia for things from the past, but to pay thousands of dollars for one style of ornament?

I'm convinced that in next December's Martha Stewart Living, we'll be seeing a white tree covered in blue Italian diorama balls. ;)

The style of Christmas bulb.

Here is a link that might be useful: recently sold on eBay, scroll down

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH