SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Beautiful But Ugly Shower Doors

enduring
9 years ago

Help, I have a lovely set of shower doors in low iron Starphire glass. The manufacture of my doors is Agalite. The local company that uses this product came recommended by several others in the kitchen/bath design business.

First the glass came from the Agalite company miss matched, one regular glass and the other Starphire. I thought at first they were both regular glass, just 2 different colors. But it turned out that one door was indead Starphire. So got a replacement for the incorrect glass. Now it is installed and looks lovely until it steams up. I see 2 hand prints on the glass that appear to be baked into the glass. I also see a linear streak as if there was another straight edge placed on the glass, then finally there is a larger hazy smear down the center. The glass looks filthy when steamed up, yet those marks are almost invisible when the glass is dry. I called the company again to complain, they came out and were wounderful, but could not remove these imperfections. Then we noticed that the original door had a wrinkly cross hatch of marks when that door was steamed up. It looked like it was tempered into the glass, as if the glass had been laying on a wrinkled plastic bag.

These are pics after the door company cleaned the doors using a magic eraser as directed by Agalite. There was no improvement.

Haze streak on left and linear mark on the right:

Ghost hand, one of two:

I don't have a pic of the plastic bag look.

The regional manager will be my next visiter some time in the next month.

Questions:
1) is this happening to others?
2) is this acceptable in the industry?
3) what have you done if you've had this problem?

Comments (30)