SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp

Ugly little cottage needs a beautiful new kitchen. Layout thoughts?

muskokascp
6 years ago

We bought this little lakeside cottage a few months ago and are working to make it into the lovely sweet home away from home we think she can be.

I have included several pictures - from before we started the demo and after. The partial wall and pellet stove are gone. The stove is moving to the other side of the stairs and the wall is gone for good. The post at the end of the peninsula is also gone, replaced with a new ceiling beam. This opens the kitchen up a great deal.

The corner sink is not my favorite and the drain for the sink is actually a few feet to the left of it, but the water line from the well comes in under the existing sink cabinet. All the plumbing is visible inside the lower cabinets when you open the doors. Such a nice feature ;)

There is no exhaust for the stove and we will be adding one. It would be nice if the stove could move a bit to the left then we can vent out the small window that's there. The window is being closed off since they left it there after adding a porch - it basically looks out under the porch...another nice feature.

The plumbing stack in that little spot to the right of the fridge can be altered enough to allow a corner cabinet.

My dilemmas and wish lists:

1) how to separate the fridge and stove- where to put the fridge.

2) where to put the sink

3) I would like a DW (18"?)

4) The cottage lower level has no closet - so a spot for brooms and a jacket hook or two would be nice. This makes me think the fridge should be on an end cabinet run where you can sneak in a nice little spot on the side panel - but how does the layout work with that?

5) do we put another peninsula in OR add cabinets along the wall with the stairs.....can I do both if the cabinets along the stairs are skinny?

This is only a cottage but we can see ourselves living here in a few years after retirement, and travelling thru the winter months. So now is the time to develop a functional layout when everything is ripped apart.

Before demo:

After:

I'm in big need of some layout suggestions and help.

Thanks!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus