biwako_of_abi

Hiloti Trojan - watch out for fake emails from UPS or Fedex

biwako_of_abi
14 years ago

Dell Dimension XPS400

WinXP Media Edition SP3

TrendMicro Internet Security

Firefox browser

Yesterday I fell for a "UPS unable to deliver because of incorrect address" email.

I'm mad at myself for clicking links, etc., without checking, but I am expecting some packages and got taken in, thanks to being in a hurry before going out, thinking I could pick the package up on the way home. After I clicked on the link and executable, which didn't open anything, but instead turned off my computer, I knew I was in trouble.

I ran a TrendMicro scan and found that--as I already knew only too well--I had been warned and then foolishly allowed installation of what purported to be a PDF document with something I would need for picking up the package.

I looked around on the Web but couldn't figure out exactly what version of a trojan or virus I might have been infected with, or what it could be doing to my computer, or how to get rid of it. I could see that other people were having success with some malware by using the free Malwarebytes anti-virus, but having had trouble with TrendMicro Internet Security when I once tried to use it, I didn't dare use it this time at first, but this morning I finally did, out of desperation because no one replied to me at another help site I posted on. Malwarebytes anti-virus found 9 items infected with the trojan Hiloti, which is apparently a pretty serious threat (can lead to all sorts of other nasty stuff getting into one's computer and compromising banking safety, etc., so I'm glad I was able to get rid of it. Ran the scan twice to make sure; the second time it was a full scan and took nigh on 3 hours, so, everyone, be extra cautious about opening emails and clicking on links in them. I am normally a very skeptical person and don't even open emails from unknown people, but this one caught me.

FWIW, as expected, I did have trouble with TM when I started up again, as Internet Security refused to load and the mouse was frozen. However, pushing the button to force a close-down and then restarting in Safe Mode and removing Malwarebytes from Startup got rid of that problem. I have deleted all my old Sys. Restore points, just in case, and am now going to create a new one.

I hope this saves someone else a lot of annoyance.

Comments (2)