SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pshaffer_gw

Yet another DW query

pshaffer
11 years ago

GW,

We are about 1 year away from our full kitchen remodel, but are replacing some appliances now. We really want to replace our lemon of a dishwasher (Bosch SHE3AM16 model). We are so tired of having to rewash dishes, a good dishwasher is a big priority. To give you an idea of the rest of the appliances we are planning on... We already bought a new GE Profile electric slide-in range ($1200). Our overall appliance budget is about $5000. We plan on a Sharp MW drawer, which will be about $750. That leaves $3000 for refrigerator and DW. We are planning on a CD refrigerator and my wife isn't too interested in the FD models, actually preferring the S/S, which run about $1600 or less for a Samsung, etc... So should we spend $1400 on a Miele dishwasher (Crystal full console model) or go with something more reasonable like a KitchenAid ($700-$900 KUDE30/40 model) and save the money for other parts of the budget? We live in a blue collar suburb and I can pretty much guarantee you that no one in town has a Miele dishwasher. So we aren't trying to keep up with the Jones and are definitely "overbuilding" for the house, but we just want a good dishwasher and we are likely to be in this house for quite a while. But, I think I might be getting too caught up in the hype about Miele and that's where I need your advice. Is it worth putting a $1400 dishwasher into a 3 bedroom ranch? Are there nearly as good dishwashers out there for significantly less? I am just getting caught up in the idea of having at least one "high-end" appliance in the remodel from looking at all the great kitchens online? Or is the Miele worth every penny and in all likelihood I will never regret it? Any suggestions are welcome, I just want some support (or constructive criticism) before dropping a ridiculous amount of money on a dishwasher and regretting it.

Cheers,

Paul

Comments (17)