SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zartemis

Yet another zartemis layout

zartemis
13 years ago

As was mentioned in the last round of layouts, the proposals have generally not had dish cabinets near the dishwasher (a compromise, but I'd rather not make it). Also, it is better that if we have to have 2 kitchen windows (request of the elderly family member), that the side window be the larger one. We mostly keep our front one covered for privacy. The side one looks out on the side-house driveway at a wooden fence that has a naval orange tree overhanging. Not a great view, but not one bad one either. Side window also faces south and gets more light.

Also, palimpsest mentioned how convenient a pocket door would be and showed a great frosted glass example (which would let light into the entry hallway even when closed). We love our current pocket door in that spot, but I feared it would have to go away. We already fit a 36" door there. I narrowed the doorway to 38" (not the aisle itself) to make one likely possible.

With that in mind: here is another layout. This one gets cabs near the DW, but the DW (dishdrawers) open up overlapping someone sitting at the counter/table. Probably not a big deal (dishdrawers extend slightly less than full door DW, also we usually only have one seated guest and they can swing around out of the way. I have a little bit of play with the appliances still (and I know I need to move the fridge over so the freezer door will open). Also, I'm not sure how close we can get the corner windows structurally (but even if it is more expensive to do so, it is probably less than extending the front of the house forward).

There is still seating in the kitchen (one of our lifestyle requirements -- honestly, if we don't include such seating, our guests will pull chairs into the aisles and sit there anyway. Far better to plan for it.) I've shown the freestanding table in this layout so you can see one location. We'll move it out for more people, or if our elderly family prefers to sit directly at the counter.

2D view:

From home designer

3D view number 1:

From home designer

3D view 2:

From home designer

Questions: for a 34" eating surface, is 18" overhang too much? I don't want to skimp because we and friends really do eat in our kitchen most of the time and prefer to. I'm also wondering if we could make the center counter 6 inches deeper to 52" -- that would mean we could have the pocket door without narrowing the kitchen entrance by the front door and give slightly more room to the in-kitchen seated diners. It would also give more supported area to that counter as a whole. Would we hate trying to reach to the middle of it to clean it?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax