SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Backing up files with a broken CD player?

Hello again.. :-)

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and it is 5 years old and out of warranty. I am preparing myself to have to purchase a new laptop any time that this computer stops working. I am hoping that won't be too soon because we just got finished buying one for our college age child. In the meantime, I have developed a problem with my CD player. I wanted to back up my files in preparation for failure of this machine and to transfer info from this machine to a new one. It is not allowing me to burn to a blank CD. Although I don't seem to have a problem playing one or ripping one. Sometimes it won't recognize that there is a CD in the player.

I have no idea whether it is a fixable problem, or if I should just find another way to back up my files. I have seen those memory sticks that plug into the back of the computer and wondering if that would be a better idea. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Oh, and I also have developed a problem with the frame of the laptop..the screen not wanting to stay upright well..and now when I try to hit the power button to bring it back from hibernation, I see the green lights for a minute and then instead of the software starting up, sometimes the lights just go out and nothing happens. The other day I spent 40 mins trying to get it to come on and only after I closed it and left it alone for awhile, did I get it to come back on.

:-)

Thanks...pm2

Comments (15)