SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

jinxed buying a home

loves2read
16 years ago

We have tried for past two years to find the right lot and build a house--went through three builders, three subdivision, and assorted designers/architects...could not get all things to go right...so we decided last week to shop hard on MLS--bingo--four possible came up right away...went to see one 3 days after listing...by time DH could see it that afternoon, sellers had taken a contract...

second house --driveway/garage was just not happening for me...passed on it and it went under contract that same day to someone else...

third house---really too big sq footage and back yard was almost all pool--so passed and it got contract same day I viewed it... do you see a pattern here...

4th house---great lot, good floorplan, nice neighborhood--less expensive---what more could we ask for--went to see it day after it was listed, made offer same day and it was accepted... so we think we are home free unless there is something hinky w/inspection (know that we have some upgrades and energy factors to take care of because it is about 10 years old but lot is worth it and neighborhood should appreciate in value so all is goo.)

Home inspection was supposed to happen this afternoon...

this morning my realtor calls me and says "I just got a call from the sellers' realtor and there is a snag with the inspection."

Well, I am thinking they can't have the inspection because the toilet overflowed or something...no ---

they told their realtor that their adult son collapsed at work yesterday and they were at hospital w/him all last night. Diagnosis: brain cancer. They are taking him to M.D. Anderson in Houston ASAP and just want to pull the house off the market...

We have a signed contract to sell and close and end of June and are in 10 day option period that ends Sunday.

Option period puts us in driver's seat technically--only we have right of refusal to carry through w/o penalty.

They want to just pull house off market because they will have to bring their son back home to take care of him after going to MD Anderson, they don't know what kind of treatment or disease prognosis (at least not that we know) right now to predict the future.

My agent tells me that "You can't make someone sell a house"--meaning that if they won't go forward, our recourse is to sue them--time and money down a hole...

We suggested that they have a right-of-first-refusal contract drawn up acknowledging that they have to offer the house to us first in future before they sell or transfer title...

would like it to be at same price since we are giving up getting a house at good price when our market is likely to increase for foreseeable future...

I asked if we could just extend option period for 60 days and then reevaluate situation after they knew more what their son's prognosis was...but realtor did not think they would go for that...

We are not mean spirited people and we have also had a son stricken w/cancer but he was still in grade school and made a recovery....so we do know what it is like to have your lives threatened and disrupted like they are facing...

but we are also selfish enough to want to buy the house or at least protect our opportunity to buy it...we have looked for such a long time and this house was so right for what we wanted...Going back into MLS search may not be productive for another two years...

It is just so frustrating and yet makes me feel pretty shallow for complaining when their situation is much more severe and painful...

Just can't believe that we are so jinxed when it comes to finding a house to buy...

Comments (34)